Editorial change

59 posts / 0 new
Last post
vanilla.ice.baby
May 29 2009 16:07

Interestingly the former editor of Freedom has contributed a very interesting article to the latest Black Flag all about the G20 - how inward looking! surprised

I think any teething troubles we are currently seeing in Freedom (like the layout issue Alan describes) are purely down to the editors being a bit rushed, and settling in.

Ian Bones does talk some shite in his column though to be fair. But Freedom should always be open to different anarchist voices as long as they're not complete wingnuts, it was just as open under Rob Ray despite what some of his detractors might say.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
May 29 2009 18:37

Well yeah I ran or offered interview pieces with pretty much every major anarchist subset bar the primmies at one time or another. I wasn't aware I had detractors, how exciting!

Django's picture
Django
May 29 2009 19:08
vanilla.ice.baby wrote:
Ian Bones does talk some shite in his column though to be fair. But Freedom should always be open to different anarchist voices as long as they're not complete wingnuts, it was just as open under Rob Ray despite what some of his detractors might say.

I wouldn't mind if it was the odd interview or opinion article - he appeared in the blog bites section back in the day and I wasn't bothered about it. It does say something though when you have an Ian Bone column right at the front of the paper, where there used to be really good investigative writing from a class struggle perspective.

The Rob Ray doctrine was a good one I think - news reporting should be of a good quality and be readable to those outside the ghetto, agitprop should be properly argued in features, opinion pieces and letters. If Freedom is going to serve a purpose it should be doing something different to organisational freesheet, which are basically agitational.

vanilla.ice.baby
May 30 2009 10:03
Caiman del Barrio wrote:
I think one issue had G20, Ian Bone, G20 on those pages which basically meant I wasn't prepared to distribute it. Sorry.

Rob Ray's final issue.

There's one of your detractors Rob. cry

Django I agree that some of that stuff would be good, why don't you write it or get someone else to write it?

Django's picture
Django
May 30 2009 10:09

Cause I'm well busy as it is on the editorial/design groups of Resistance and Organise and being an active AF member wink

I have done stuff for Freedom in the past, and hope to again, but I can't make any regular commitments.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
May 30 2009 10:22

I did do a G20 special directly after the demos, so it had a G20 intro, piece on Ian Tomlinson's death, and a roundup of the weirdest mainstream coverage. I've only ever put Bone in as a blog though. I did offer him a page to do news coverage on at one point - he's a good journalist when he's not on a rant - but he turned it down.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
May 31 2009 09:25
Jack wrote:
What would a journalist know about journalism.

workerist

vanilla.ice.baby
Jun 1 2009 13:06

I've just seen a draft of the latest issue of Freedom, the front page has an article on Unison and the national shop steward's network, and an article about UCATT and the olympics.

Inside are articles about the London Met University crisis, the police FIT, posties and the BNP leaflets, prison stuff, gurkhas, peruvian mineworkers, vietnam wildcats, a double page spread on Visteon, the anarchism conference, and the usual reviews, Bone, letters, etc...

well worth 80p!

oisleep's picture
oisleep
May 18 2010 16:47

i think after the dip following the editorail change, it's improved quite a bit lately - still not exactly my cup of tea, but it's a definite improvement on my original criticisms