DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

I started a libertarian-communist YouTube channel. Here's my first video! (EDIT: More videos being posted as they come)

42 posts / 0 new
Last post
jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jul 20 2019 22:13

tl;dr I liked the video smile I thought it was a clear explanation of quite a few things and you also explained things, then refuted them.

Libcom deleted my longer post, but that was pretty much just me concluding that my opinion didn't matter as I am not the target audience, so it might have been some kind of quality filter smile

Lucky Black Cat's picture
Lucky Black Cat
Jul 22 2019 04:12

Thanks, Jef! Well your opinion *does* matter, but you're right, the goal is to get beyond preaching to the choir. Lol @ "quality filter"

Lucky Black Cat
Dec 26 2019 20:08

After a long period of hard work and sleep deprivation, may I present my latest video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnKUVY4sQ0g

Title: Where's the Proof of Racism?
(Answer: In this video!)

Twelve exhibits of evidence making the case that there exists a widespread pattern of racism that amounts to racial oppression.

The video is for:

1. People who think racism is no longer a problem: It makes a convincing case that it is, rooted in research studies and data.

2. People who know racism is a problem and want to fight it: It arms you with a ton of hard evidence to prove this to others, and will help make you a more effective anti-racist advocate.

We need a diversity of tactics to fight racism, and part of that is fighting ignorance by spreading information and understanding. If you think this video will help with that, I hope you will share it with others.

Feel free to drop a comment, too, with your feedback. Constructive criticism is welcome!

I hope everyone has enjoyed / is enjoying their holidays. Best Wishes for 2020!

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Dec 27 2019 20:40

That was fun and informative, thank you.

Do you make your own props?

Lucky Black Cat
Dec 28 2019 08:53

Not really. For the "In Case of White Guilt Break Glass" box, I bought an "In Case of Emergency Break Glass Box", then printed the words "WHITE GUILT" in white letters on a red background, cut it out and taped it on. So, I did like 1% of the labor, lol. Still felt proud of it, though! smile

Lucky Black Cat
Feb 20 2020 19:40

Here’s my latest video! grin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQujPLjtUdU

Title: The Seductive Power of the Right-wing Fantasy: Can We Break the Spell?

Questions I aim to answer include:

What attracts people to the rightwing worldview? What makes them oppose policies that help those in need? Are they all just cold-hearted? Or is something deeper going on? Can leftists use insight into rightwing psychology to draw more people towards the left?

And of course, the burning question on everyone’s mind: IS RIGHTWING PHILOSOPHY LIKE COCAINE?

As usual I try to mix theory and info with entertainment. I hope you enjoy it.

(Since my channel is still new and small, for now I’m focusing on making videos on various leftist and social justice themes while I build up an audience and develop my video making skills. Once the channel has a larger audience I will begin a series of videos on capitalism, followed by series on libertarian-communism, revolution, etc.)

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Feb 24 2020 20:46

That was interesting, at times it sounded like you were describing Tolstoy's moral philosophy, only he did acknowledge social factors were a major cause of problems and that the only way for individuals to take responsibility and truly change was to dismantle the systems that perpetuate them.

Perhaps his work might be useful as a sort of reverse gateway?

Lucky Black Cat
Feb 27 2020 10:15

Interesting suggestion, Reddebrek! Until now I had never heard about Tolstoy's thoughts on this subject. Is there a particular essay where he discusses this, so I can check it out?
Perhaps it would make a good reverse gateway... an exit gateway... a gateway to libertarian-communism? smile

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Feb 27 2020 13:41

Well he talked about in every book he wrote really, even his famous novels have them as themes somewhere so you can just dive in at random. But his more Anarchistic essays are

The State

I cannot be silent

Patriotism

Patriotism and government

http://libcom.org/tags/leo-tolstoy

Quote:
But even if we assume that with the absence of governments there would be disturbances and civil strife, even then the position of the people would be better than it is at present. The position now is such that it is difficult to imagine anything worse. The people are ruined, and their ruin is becoming more and more complete. The men are all converted into war-slaves, and have from day to day to expect orders to go to kill and to be killed. What more? Are the ruined peoples to die of hunger? That is already beginning in Russia, in Italy, and in India. Or are the women as well as the men to go to be soldiers? In the Transvaal even that has begun.
So that even if the absence of government really meant Anarchy, in the negative, disorderly sense of that word,—which it is far from meaning,—even in that case, no anarchical disorder could be worse than the position to which governments have already led their peoples, and to which they are leading them.
And therefore emancipation from patriotism, and the destruction of the despotism of government that rests upon it, cannot but be beneficial to mankind.

and the Kingdom of god is within you, is his most famous work where he really gets into his philosophy but I haven't got around to reading it.

Lucky Black Cat
Feb 27 2020 22:38

Long ago I read one of his essays (forget what it's called) where he talks about the immorality of government and, iirc, of capitalism, too. He writes with beauty and power. I remember finding his words both insightful and moving.

But I don't remember him addressing the topic of responsibility. Oh wait, now I'm remembering he does talk about the responsibility to resist injustice through civil disobedience.

Lucky Black Cat
Apr 4 2020 16:49

New video dropped today! https://youtu.be/6k3DkEY0YHU

Title: Blaming the Poor: Poverty as Punishment

Margaret Thatcher called poverty a “personality defect”. Ben Shapiro says people are poor because “they suck with money.” A research-backed response to all those who blame poverty on the poor. In a world with enough for all, poverty is never justified.

This video is 16 minutes and is divided into five parts.

Part 1: Discusses the “culture of poverty” (or the “subculture of poverty” as it was originally called by anthropologist Oscar Lewis), the theory that the poor have various dysfunctional traits which play a significant part in causing intergenerational cycles of poverty. But to what extent is “the culture of poverty” an effect of poverty rather than a cause?

Part 2: Looks at how common (or uncommon) the culture of poverty is among the poor.

Part 3: Tackles the question of whether the non-employed poor are lazy / lacking in work ethic.

Part 4: The media likes to popularize true stories of people who overcome incredible obstacles to escape poverty. But these stories are held up not simply as inspirational examples, but to promote the idea that with enough hard work and determination, anyone can escape poverty, and therefore those who don’t have only themselves to blame. Part 4 challenges this notion.

Part 5: When people make the case for why poor people don’t deserve to be poor, we often focus on trying to show that the poor are every bit as hard working and conventional in their values as the middle class – just as I’ve tried to do in this video. In Part 5, I talk about why this is the wrong focus for the argument.

(Since my channel is still new and small, for now I’m focusing on making videos on various leftist and social justice themes while I build up an audience and develop my video making skills. Once the channel has a larger audience I will begin a series of videos on capitalism, followed by series on libertarian-communism, revolution, etc.)