Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
May 15 2015 07:03
boomerang wrote:
Webby wrote:
The Mighty Boosh(I prefer series 3)

Steven. wrote:
mighty boosh (the first two seasons, the third one is shit),

Eels up inside ya! Finding electrics where they can! Eels up inside ya! Finding electrics where they can!

Eels! Eels! Eels! Eels! ...

I believe you'll find it's 'finding AN ENTRANCE where they can'. Ew!

commieprincess's picture
commieprincess
May 15 2015 10:44

Cucumber was also pretty good. By the same guy who did Queer as Folk - it's about gay relationships in Manchester and is sort of drama/comedy/tragedy.

Also, there's just this one pilot episode of 'Lizzie and Sarah' with Jessica Hynes and Julia Davis which is awesome and a big fat shame that it never got made into a series. Posh, retired, downtrodden wives kill their husbands.

Serge forward, Spaced is 15 years old - I don't think it counts as very current!

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
May 15 2015 11:00
Quote:
Serge forward, Spaced is 15 years old - I don't think it counts as very current!

15 years is VERY current when you're my age(and I suspect Serge's). You youngster have no idea. Youth wasted on the young, don't know you're born, blah blah blah, witters on ad infinitum...

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
May 15 2015 12:03
commieprincess wrote:
Spaced is 15 years old

Fookin'ell. It's not much more than yesterday.

petey
May 15 2015 13:14
Steven. wrote:
archer - funny animated comedy about an incompetent spy agency

this is huge here in the states

fnbrilll
May 15 2015 13:20

Current US show called "Infomercials" on Adult Swim. Very dark and savage look at US culture funny in a "I don't really want to admit this" way.

My fave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gMjJNGg9Z8

boomerang
May 15 2015 13:44

Finding an entrance... even better! I knew electrics didn't make sense but it's not like much else was making sense.

Anything that happened after high school seems current to me. When I was a kid and teen, each year felt like a world. Now the years, they slip by like eels.

boomerang
May 15 2015 17:12
Webby wrote:
Top Boy. Compelling Drama set on an East London housing estate. Great characters, fantastic use of language. An absolute winner!

It's on Netflix at the moment.

I just watched the first 20 minutes and it's already really good! Gotta get to work soon though.

Link for those interested: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xw0f4l_top-boy-episode-1_shortfilms

A Wotsit's picture
A Wotsit
May 15 2015 17:46

Gimme Gimme Gimme, cheers boomerang but don't worry, not embarrassed. I used to like it but my tastes have changed a bit in 15ish years is all. The quote about love Auld-bod posted made me chuckle though.

Jam- great recommendation! It is super dark but ace. Other Chris Morris stuff like Brass Eye (spoof investigative documentaries) and The Day Today (spoof news) also excellent.

Also enjoyed Smoking Room at the time but not watched since.

I recently watched Raised by Wolves- sitcom focused on a working class mum and her kids. Thought Rebekah Staton was really good in this and the dialogue is great.

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
May 15 2015 19:43

Guilty pleasures because they remind me of people I know:

Malcolm in the Middle, first series brilliant, never saw the rest.
Outnumbered – again first series, funny and painful - I really know these folk… the genius of allowing children to steal the show.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
May 15 2015 19:09
Auld-bod wrote:
Guilty pleasures because they remind me of people I know:

Malcolm in the Middle, first series brilliant, never saw the rest.
Outnumbered – again first series, funny and painful - I really know these folk… the genus of allowing children to steal the show.

Outnumbered - brilliant, although I usually can't stand that bloke, whatever his name is. Jesus, his topical 'comedy' sketch show on radio 4 is cringeworthy beyond belief.

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
May 15 2015 19:47

Best thing on Radio 4 is Ed Reardon's Week. Sublime.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
May 15 2015 20:20
Auld-bod wrote:
Best thing on Radio 4 is Ed Reardon's Week. Sublime.

You seem to have forgotten the shipping forecast, but then I haven't heard Ed Reardon's Week, so...

My favourite thing on there used to be Count Arthur Strong's Radio Show. Just too funny - not to be confused with the shite TV show.

snipfool
May 15 2015 20:53

quite enjoying the goldbergs

ajjohnstone
May 18 2015 12:47

The State of Greenock..a series 5 minute mock-documentary episodes of when Greenock became independent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXeIm_wloKE

To close to the truth for comfort

petey
May 18 2015 13:23
snipfool wrote:
quite enjoying the goldbergs

it's on my bucket list.

xxzxcuzxme
May 24 2015 18:40

I've just recently started watching the first season of the Walking Dead. So far I'm finding it really good, made better by the fact that it differs quite a lot from the comic books- so its like getting two versions of the same broad story.

wojtek
May 24 2015 19:02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qpoToJ2Au0
'bangin'!'
'cheeeers!'

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
May 24 2015 21:47

The re-launch of The Basil Brush Show in the noughties was superb.

bastarx
May 26 2015 01:07
xxzxcuzxme wrote:
I've just recently started watching the first season of the Walking Dead. So far I'm finding it really good, made better by the fact that it differs quite a lot from the comic books- so its like getting two versions of the same broad story.

Yeah the first season was great. 2nd season they suffered a pretty big budget cut due to the Mad Men cast winning big pay rises. So maybe watch the 1st episode of season 2 and then skip to the last 3 or so. The middle of it is truly excruciatingly pointless. Things pick up in S3 although along with some great episodes in later seasons there's some real rubbish as well.

It's very frustrating because TWD had the potential to be awesome all round but they just keep messing it up in various ways.

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
May 26 2015 05:43

Thanks for the tip - enjoyed the first few episodes of the 'Smoking Room'. People sitting in a room puffin' their lives away. A good bit - "She calls me, 'Grandpa fuck-off'".

Lucror
May 30 2015 21:27

Can We Do It Ourselves - Documentary

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/can-we-do-it-ourselves/

Soapy's picture
Soapy
Jun 1 2015 01:15

Been watching the sopranos. Probably reading way to deep into it but it seems pretty critical of the individualist mentality of conservative masculinity. Tony Soprano spends time fuming about his deadbeat welfare queen sister but at the same time is cheating on his wife and running scams that bilk old people out of their social security money. Seems like a recurring theme of the show that Tony is quick to point to the flaws in other people while he is unable or unwilling to deal with the flaws of his own character.

Fleur
Jun 1 2015 01:42

The Sopranos is probably my favourite TV show ever. I think it really raised the bar for TV drama. The storytelling, acting, writing was consistently good all the way through. I think it's well worth sticking with.

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Jun 1 2015 07:19

Until ‘The Wire’, I think ‘The Sopranos’ was the best thing on TV for a long time.
Tony Soprano is a great character, a likable individual, who ticks most boxes in a psychopathy checklist. Overall the most impressive thing is to show the mob as a capitalist business with a competitive management hierarchy.

SRQ's picture
SRQ
Jun 4 2015 06:12

history of eyeglasses http://areena.yle.fi/1-2878 but you cant see it. It was informative and understandable for all Scandinavia.

Agent of the International's picture
Agent of the In...
Jun 22 2015 00:28

Finished watching the first four seasons of The Wire. I think its the best drama series ever. But I haven't seen The Sopranos yet.

Anyone watching the season 2 premiere of True Detective tonight? I heard its not as good as the first season.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jun 22 2015 09:07
Agent of the Fifth International wrote:

Anyone watching the season 2 premiere of True Detective tonight? I heard its not as good as the first season.

I'm going to wait till the whole series is out and watch the lot in one go. I'm quite looking forward to it, though, as it kind of seems like it would be so rubbish (starring Vince Vaughn, directed by the bloke who did the Fast and Furious films…) but I'm sure as it's for True Detective it will be good!