TVs you like - let's share em!

173 posts / 0 new
Last post
bastarx
Jun 6 2019 06:45

They're all available on The Pirate Bay and similar sites. I don't know why communists would pay for things that are free.

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Jun 6 2019 07:15

I've seen Chernobyl, its pretty good, its very close to the actual events but it still plays like a cosmic horror. Wouldn't recommend watching it while eating though, they didn't skimp on the make up budget for the effects of radiation sickness.

Also its wound up the social media tankies, so we now have the spectacle of Stalin avatars rushing to the defence of the leadership of Comrade Gorbachev

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jun 6 2019 09:14

bastarx because streaming services are convenient, cost me as much as a couple of pints, is as expensive as a VPN access which I will need to pirate etc. In addition, these days you have to be much more careful about the files you download; there are a lot more dangerous fakes than there used to be, so more care needs to be taken. So again, more convenient to pay $10 or so. Streaming services were actually piracy killers for this reason, though since everyone and their dog has a streaming service these days, piracy is catching on again. If there's a show that is not on a streaming service I subscribe to, I do pirate or use a pirate streaming site. All of this has little to do with being a communist or not...

R Totale's picture
R Totale
Jun 6 2019 18:52
bastarx wrote:
jef costello wrote:
I think I might give up on ever starting Game of Thrones.

Don't do it or if you do only watch up til the end of the 4th season. The ending was a steaming pile of reactionary shit. IMHO it's actually worse than the ending of BSG which was another show I once loved that cruelly disappointed me.

I have still never actually seen the throney gameshow, but I thought this article was an interesting possible explanation for that: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-real-reason-fans-h...

Has anyone seen Good Omens? Kind of intrigued by that one. Have to say that I really wasn't a fan of American Gods.

EDIT: Wait, did GoT really have a dragon called Drogon in it?

bastarx
Jun 7 2019 04:53
R Totale wrote:
EDIT: Wait, did GoT really have a dragon called Drogon in it?

Yes. Named after it's masters dead husband Drogo.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jun 7 2019 06:21

Game of Thrones

I’ve tried to watch it but it’s just not happening - I just cannot bear the fantasy aesthetic. It conjures up visions of nasal voiced sixth formers, Dungeons and Dragons, prog rock, Warhammer shop populators and David Bowie’s terrible fucking hair do in that awful 1980s fantasy film. Glad it’s all done with.

Comrade Motopu's picture
Comrade Motopu
Jun 7 2019 08:01

I'm almost finished season 1 of The tv version of "What We Do in the Shadows" and it's my current favorite show. It's a funny and endearing show about the everyday lives of murderous vampires.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jun 7 2019 10:27
Comrade Motopu wrote:
I'm almost finished season 1 of The tv version of "What We Do in the Shadows" and it's my current favorite show. It's a funny and endearing show about the everyday lives of murderous vampires.

I’ve watched some of the TV show - it’s pretty similar to the film and is still pretty good, but the film is still better by quite some margin. Definitely check it out.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jun 7 2019 11:26
Quote:
I just cannot bear the fantasy aesthetic. It conjures up visions of nasal voiced sixth formers, Dungeons and Dragons, prog rock, Warhammer shop populators and David Bowie’s terrible fucking hair do in that awful 1980s fantasy film. Glad it’s all done with.

Dungeons & Dragons is awesome, Warhammer 40k is great, but each to their own, I guess wink

While I do like fantasy, I much prefer sci-fi on TV. Still, good fantasy and sci-fi shows are few and far in between.

I loved What We Do in the Shadows so I'll definitively check out the TV show. I need some good TV these days, recovering from surgery so I have a lot of time on my hands.

cactus9
Jun 9 2019 15:56

New series of Killing Eve. It's quite good. Also Nigel Slater cooking Middle Eastern food, it's pretty good.

Spikymike
Jun 20 2019 09:41

Nearly finished watching the UK BBC dystopian series 'Year and Years' by Russell T Davies. Fictional drama based in the very near UK/World future. Scarrilly real by my estimation.
Edit: Disappointing end to this in the last episode. The 'rebels' win but only in conjunction with, by that stage, a subsidiary and presumed honest part of the existing state apparatus - the police!

Mike Harman
Jun 12 2019 16:07

Not sure if there's a separate political TV thread and these have probably been discussed, but some ones I watched. Not necessarily the best TV but good enough to keep going with, from Netflix.

Aggretsuko - like an kids anime 9-5/Office Space: chosen by a small person and massively exceeded expectations for the whole family tbh.

Damnation - communist posing as a priest tries to organise farmers during the great depression.

Black sails - pirates fight the British empire.

Underground: feat. Harriet Tubman

Jim
Jun 13 2019 15:13
Mike Harman wrote:
Not sure if there's a separate political TV thread and these have probably been discussed, but some ones I watched. Not necessarily the best TV but good enough to keep going with, from Netflix.

Aggretsuko - like an kids anime 9-5/Office Space: chosen by a small person and massively exceeded expectations for the whole family tbh.

Damnation - communist posing as a priest tries to organise farmers during the great depression.

Black sails - pirates fight the British empire.

Underground: feat. Harriet Tubman

You should do a blog of things to watch on Netflix because I spend hours flicking through it before deciding I'd be better off watching a repeat of Newsnight on iPlayer.

Chernobyl was amazing, watch it/download it if you've not seen it already.

Craftwork's picture
Craftwork
Jun 14 2019 20:59
Spikymike wrote:
Nearly finished watching the UK BBC dystopian series 'Year and Years' by Russell T Davies. Fictional drama based in the very near UK/World future. Scarrilly real by my estimation.

Second this.

zugzwang
Jun 19 2019 04:05

I'm watching the Netflix thriller "Dark", some pure motherfucking filler. No, but it's OK so far. It's about time traveling and missing people and other fun stuff. It's supposed to be kind of like "Stranger Things" according to wiki, which I haven't seen. It's in German if you don't mind the subtitles.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jul 10 2019 22:54

Condor - I remember quite enjoying the book. The TV show makes the guy anti-government without being anti-American and tries to set out its liberal credentials while also completely ignoring them.

For example guy decides to quit because his algorithm says there is a 12% chance a guy is a terrorist and the CIA decides to execute him instead of doing anything else. But it turns out he is a terorist so the whole point about spying on citizens (the algorithm was for external use only) is immediately dropped and he no longer wonders about the morality of it all. Then it turns out it was all a big conspiracy...

It had its moments but I am not sue that I would recommend hit. Especially as pretty much evryone regularly stops to tell the main character how amazing he is for no real reason. "Oh hai Joe, did I mention that you are basically Jesus?"
"No, everything is my fault ;( "
"No, you are definitely Jesus."
someone gets shot or something explodes...

Derry Girls - finally watched the first episode, liked it.

Agent of the International's picture
Agent of the In...
Jul 18 2019 14:31
Khawaga wrote:
Speaking of shitty endings to shows:

Agent of the First Intl wrote:
I have completed four seasons of Lost. It's good. It's more than just an island survivalist drama - with a bit of supernatural mystery playing an increasing role as the series progresses.

You'll be disappointed in the ending...

You was right about this. I can't believe there are people who defend that ending.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jul 18 2019 17:59

Lost's ending is probably one of the worst I've ever seen; beats that of Battlestar Galactica and Game of Thrones easily.

An Affirming Flame
Jul 18 2019 18:30
Khawaga wrote:
Lost's ending is probably one of the worst I've ever seen; beats that of Battlestar Galactica and Game of Thrones easily.

Yeah, I was happy with Game of Thrones' ending and thought Battlestar Galactica's ending was decent, but Lost's ending was a complete pile of shit.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jul 18 2019 20:25

I thought both the GoT and BSG endings were steaming piles of shite, just to place Lost's finale in perspective of how bad it is.

Agent of the International's picture
Agent of the In...
Jul 19 2019 14:15

It wasn't just the very ending of Lost, the last 2 or 3 episodes, that was disappointing but the whole flash-sideways development. That was stupid. I'm not surprised many viewers are still confused about that, and it's relation to the main island story line. Even if you understand everything clearly, it still isn't good storytelling. All in all, I was entertained by the series, just letdown by the way things wrapped up.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jul 20 2019 22:32

Derry girls, watched all the episodes, thought the end of the last one was a little cheesy. I did wonder if it relied too much on people being openly rude to each other for no reason.

And apparently Nowhere Fast didn't get ren ewed, which is a shame because that was very good