DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

What are your favourite music albums?

107 posts / 0 new
Last post
vicent
Jul 3 2014 05:34
What are your favourite music albums?

I am looking for good music and you libcommers seem to have great taste in literature and film

snipfool
Jul 3 2014 08:30

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Jul 3 2014 09:45

or

Standfield's picture
Standfield
Jul 3 2014 10:52

This,

or this,

the button's picture
the button
Jul 3 2014 11:06

There you go -- one per the four main genres I listen to.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jul 3 2014 12:01

Can't do the fancy embedding but I'll go one per decade:

70's - Velvet Underground, Loaded

80's - The Birthday Party - Junkyard

90's - Radiohead - Ok Computer

0's - Gorrilaz - Demon Days

Teenie's - Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip - Repent Replenish Repeat

By no means my absolute favourites and also rather yawn inducingly credible but good stuff none the less.
For the real goods you just need to crack out Abba's Greatest Hits album, but I'm assuming that everyone knows that anyway???

Werner Harding
Jul 3 2014 15:59

Death grips - no love
Swans - seer
Townes van sandt - live at the old quarter

cresspot's picture
cresspot
Jul 3 2014 19:10

Black Dice "Load Blown"
Flying Lotus "1983"
Health "Get Color"

Soapy's picture
Soapy
Jul 3 2014 20:47

Cant help but throw in my two cents. Elliott Smith is as good as it gets.

bastarx
Jul 4 2014 02:55

Bunch of middle class poseurs with your indy rock.

Metal is the finest creation of the guitar wielding proletariat and it doesn't come any better than Master of Puppets.

Fnordie's picture
Fnordie
Jul 4 2014 03:40
bastarx wrote:
Bunch of middle class poseurs with your indy rock.

Metal is the finest creation of the guitar wielding proletariat and it doesn't come any better than Master of Puppets.

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Jul 4 2014 07:44

I listen mostly to compilations, however sticking to single artists:
Old favourites:
Ray Charles – Live At Newport (1958)
Bob Dylan – Bringing It All Back Home (1965)
Judy Collins – In My Life (1966)
Roland Kirk – The Inflated Tear (1967)
Willie Nelson – Red Headed Stranger (1975)
Kate & Anna McGarrigle – Kate & Anna McGarrigle (1975)

New favourites:
Orchestra Baobab – Pirates Choice (1982)
Dale Watson – Cheatin’ Heart Attack (1995)
Bellowhead – Hedonism (2010)
Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell – Old Yellow Moon (2013)

Should have some blues, old timey and Billie Holiday though how to choose?

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jul 4 2014 07:47
Quote:

And there was me thinking metal was the favourite refuge of sappy mummy's boys that desperately want everyone to think they are dark and tough but miss their target by about a mile and a half. Another reminder of how wrong I can be.

Btw, libcommers don't need Indy rock to show that they are middle class poseurs!

Spassmaschine
Jul 4 2014 08:13

And maybe

bastarx wrote:
Metal is the finest creation of the guitar wielding proletariat

bastarx wrote:
middle class poseurs

These are not mutually-exclusive categories.

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Jul 4 2014 08:14
Auld-bod wrote:
Orchestra Baobab – Pirates Choice (1982)

love that one

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Jul 4 2014 08:14

another gem:

bastarx
Jul 4 2014 12:17
Webby wrote:
Quote:

And there was me thinking metal was the favourite refuge of sappy mummy's boys that desperately want everyone to think they are dark and tough but miss their target by about a mile and a half. Another reminder of how wrong I can be.

Btw, libcommers don't need Indy rock to show that they are middle class poseurs!

Can't it be both?

Fnordie's picture
Fnordie
Jul 5 2014 05:17
Webby wrote:
mummy's boys

Fuck. You.

Ablokeimet
Jul 5 2014 05:39
Webby wrote:

Actually, all the metal heads I know are femaie. It's a small sample, but it's there.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jul 5 2014 05:42
Fnordie wrote:
Webby wrote:
mummy's boys

Fuck. You.

You're rude. I'm telling my mummy.

factvalue
Jul 8 2014 00:08

Silent_Wage_Slave
Jul 18 2014 19:26

Gang of Four - Entertainment!

This album is gold. Does anybody have similar recommendation to make?

Werner Harding
Jul 18 2014 20:00
Silent_Wage_Slave wrote:
Gang of Four - Entertainment!

This album is gold. Does anybody have similar recommendation to make?

My girlfriend loves this album and I've sort of grown bored with it over the years. I think "the Ex" is an healthy alternative. They aren't the exact same but I think they have simular sensibilities. If you check them out I suggest a compilation album called "Singles. Period. The Vinyl Years 1980–1990" it's by far the best thing in their discog. Here is a really good song from that record:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4C0BlNfsFz0

simiangene
Jul 18 2014 20:29

I'm an old purist and Hendrix's Electric Lady Land is the standard, although it didn't feature the live Machinegun song, which at the time was the most powerful and raw anti-war song during the Vietnam war. But the song is classic and can be applied to any war a thousand years into the future if we are still around. Its so simple yet his virtuosity and soul make it classical.

jura's picture
jura
Jul 18 2014 20:57

There's a Macedonian band called Bernay's Propaganda who sound a lot like Go4.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jul 18 2014 21:53

Blimey, what a predictable boring bunch of old bastards this thread shows us all to be. The selection of albums, including at least two of mine are dull, obvious and pedestrian. It's not that I think the music is shite, although my personal opinion is that some of it is, it's more that none of it is pop music, but rather the sort of stuff that grey, personality free muso types of various persuasions love wanking off over.
I'm gonna have a think about some pop gems that do the business and get them posted soon but only if I get ticked down for being a contrary wanker.

Edit: I suppose I should be grateful that nobody has suggested any of that revolting crooning shite from the fifties and sixties, like Frank Sinatra and Tony fucking Bennet. Just in case anyone is thinking of doing so, it's not big and it's not clever, so behave yourself.

simiangene
Jul 18 2014 21:52
Webby wrote:
Blimey, what a predictable boring bunch of old bastards this thread shows us all to be. The selection of albums, including at least two of mine are dull, obvious and pedestrian. It's not that I think the music is shite, although my personal opinion is that some of it is, it's more that none of it is pop music, but rather the sort of stuff that grey, personality free muso types of various persuasions love wanking off over.
I'm gonna have a think about some pop gems that do the business and get them posted soon but only if I get ticked down for being a contrary wanker.

I'm gonna be contrary and wank to good old Hendrix, so there!

snipfool
Jul 18 2014 22:19
Webby wrote:
Blimey, what a predictable boring bunch of old bastards this thread shows us all to be ... I'm gonna have a think about some pop gems that do the business and get them posted soon

Nothing worse than an old bastard trying to like pop to get down with the imagined kids.

Standfield's picture
Standfield
Jul 19 2014 07:13

Edit. Inebriated. Slightly off topic.

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Jul 18 2014 22:52

Highlights (and lowlights) from a couple of punk gigs in October 1977 at Manchester's iconic early punk venue. Happy days.

Side A
The Fall: "Stepping Out"
John Cooper Clarke: "(You Never See a Nipple in The) Daily Express"
Joy Division: "At a Later Date"
The Drones: "Persecution Complex"

Side B
Steel Pulse: "Makka Splaff (The Colly Man)"
John Cooper Clarke: "I Married a Monster from Outer Space"
The Fall: "Last Orders"
Buzzcocks: "Time's Up"

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jul 19 2014 00:45
snipfool wrote:
Webby wrote:
Blimey, what a predictable boring bunch of old bastards this thread shows us all to be ... I'm gonna have a think about some pop gems that do the business and get them posted soon

Nothing worse than an old bastard trying to like pop to get down with the imagined kids.

I never said anything about modern pop - I haven't the faintest idea about it at all.
Nearly every album mentioned is old farts music. Well I'm talking about old farts pop music. As I suggested in my first post on this thread, Abba wipe the floor with Hendricks and all the other revered muso yawn merchants.