What's the deal with naming shit employers in Libcom forum or blog posts?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Apr 2 2012 14:12
What's the deal with naming shit employers in Libcom forum or blog posts?

I’m thinking of publishing the email exchange I had with my old employers that includes a 1500 word email about why and how they were shit to their staff. It also functions as kind of an account of working on a zero contract in the ‘events sector’ where the exploitation of late capitalism has been ‘most naked’ for me and contributed to my politics today. I should probably edit out names and email addresses but is it ok to use the company name? Or should it show up in a search engine will they hunt me down and sue me for libel?

Also if I were to post it on Libcom, where would I post it and label it etc?

communal_pie's picture
communal_pie
Apr 2 2012 21:50

-edit- I misread the original topic.

I thought of this, which I saw the other day when I saw this topic:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/work-blog/2012/mar/29/job-rejection-letter-to-end-all-others

I think it should be ok, but do edit out all names and email addresses. It should be fine if it doens't say that you shouldn't share it with anyone else.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 2 2012 22:27

Hey, that sounds like the sort of thing which would be good for our library.

I would certainly edit out names and e-mail addresses. If you use the company name you should do so knowing that they may well be able to find out who you are. At least one person has been fired due to posting on libcom about their company, so be forewarned, but if you don't mind them seeing it knowing who you are, and can backup statements you make them feel free. Otherwise if you are worried about libel you could just give a general description. I.e. instead of saying Microsoft you could say "a large multinational software company" or something

ocelot's picture
ocelot
Apr 2 2012 22:40

This is one of those topics that's a lot trickier than it looks. I remember talking about this one time with a com who was a trainee solicitor. He was saying what a bunch of scumbags his last internee firm was and how it would be great to have a website where people could anonymously tip off other trainees in the same situation about their different experiences with the various firms. By the next pint we'd realised that, given the target industry, you'd get so mind-fuckingly sued, it'd make wikileaks look like a walk in the park. But by the third pint we realised the true nature of the problem. If you were to create a "dis" site, and it became sufficiently popular, then people would start to use it to smear people and then how on earth would you deal with people complaining that they'd been publicly accused of outrageous shit with no right of appeal or even to know their accuser (or that they weren't the fash or branch having a laugh). We realised it was unmanageable. That's why most forums have no real names & personal accusations rules - otherwise natural justice is impossible.

Of course disputes between workers and corporations would seem easier to manage. But bear in mind that most people work for SMEs, so the line between personal smears and attacks on employers get blurred at that level.

Still, it would be good to have an equivalent of wikileaks for reasonably* sized corps.

* pick a number. not necessarily obvious.

Apr 2 2012 23:40

OK, thanks for the advice. I was thinking that McDonalds get namechecked by former employees but I almost never see any other named companies when people are talking about former employers being shit. I think I might take the company name out, can't be bothered with the potential hassle.

ocelot's picture
ocelot
Apr 2 2012 23:54

You'd be grand, but unfortunately the libcom folks would cop for the lawyers. Ultimately they could attack the hosting providers.

Mike Harman
Apr 3 2012 04:53

One site that sort of does employee reviews of companies is http://www.glassdoor.com/index.htm, not remotely radical or a 'dis' site but it's interesting for what it is.

I think no company name but make it easy for people reading to figure it out if they knew the company?