Why I hate capitalism today

50 posts / 0 new
Last post
boomerang
Apr 10 2015 03:32
Why I hate capitalism today

There was a thread on here a while ago that asked something like "What do you hate most about capitalism?" It's such a hard question to answer, because there's so many things that deserve equal or similar levels of hatred.

But on a day to day basis, sometimes there's a particular thing about capitalism that will really just be grinding on you, yknow? It might not even be that big a thing, at least not compared to some of the brutal shit this world has to offer. Or maybe it is a big thing. But whatever it is, it's just really getting to you on that particular day.

I thought it would be good to have a thread about that.

Here's my thought of the day: I have to pay a lot of money for things that are designed to break. And countless people have to spend decades of their lives making things designed to break.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 10 2015 07:43

One thing that makes it so hard to bear is it's all pervasiveness. Once you get a basic understanding of how it works you see it in every bad thing in the world. Every problem, injustice or horror in the world reminds you of every other problem, injustice and horror.
Still, at least it's given us Jamie Oliver, there's something to be grateful for.

wojtek
Apr 10 2015 10:30

Webby, you seen this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAu2J8Rybgc grin

factvalue
Apr 10 2015 10:44

The deadening uniformity. The slow suffocation. The stagnant habits, costumes, thoughts.

'They come
Different and the same
With each the absence of love is different
With each the absence of love is the same.'

Scallywag
Apr 10 2015 11:24

That it turns everything including the environment and including people into a commodity and that nothing is considered useful or important unless we can assign a monetary value to it.

Mr. Jolly's picture
Mr. Jolly
Apr 10 2015 12:00

Waiting always waiting.

bastarx
Apr 10 2015 13:48

Because it constantly manufactures pseudo-oppositions such as the the PKK.

Agent of the International's picture
Agent of the In...
Apr 10 2015 14:18

Because it constantly manufactures "libertarian-municipalisms", "democratic-confederalisms" etc ideologies to support the PKKs.

arminius's picture
arminius
Apr 10 2015 14:20

We are all the frogs in the pot of water, and we (i.e., our class) are oblivious to being the ones slowly turning up the heat under us - all our lives long.

petey
Apr 10 2015 15:08

its pervasiveness to the point of not seeing it, to the point that trying to break through to talk class-analysis with others is such a burden (at least 'round my way)

Pennoid's picture
Pennoid
Apr 10 2015 15:17

Having to work most days, instead of hanging with loved ones. Insomnia.

Nationalism.

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Apr 10 2015 18:47

So many of these post resonate with me. I’d add the tragedy of watching good caring people, so charged with anxiety about the future, that they drive themselves into the dust providing for their loved ones.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Apr 10 2015 20:43

I couldn't think of anything until I saw Jamie Oliver's name. Smug, hypocritical thatcherite.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 10 2015 21:06
jef costello wrote:
I couldn't think of anything until I saw Jamie Oliver's name. Smug, hypocritical thatcherite.

He is the celebrity equivalent of itching powder in your knickers.

bastarx
Apr 10 2015 22:00
Agent of the Fifth International wrote:
Because it constantly manufactures "libertarian-municipalisms", "democratic-confederalisms" etc ideologies to support the PKKs.

You just had to one up me smile

boozemonarchy's picture
boozemonarchy
Apr 11 2015 02:04

Small thing, I'm lucky today. . .

I'm moving. I currently have two $300 deposits between two landlords and am paying double rent for 5 days this month for the overlap. I move a lot but this time around its on a shoestring so it stings.

Pennoid's picture
Pennoid
Apr 11 2015 02:37

Today at I work I left for 5 minutes to go take a piss. I come back and there is (cartoonishly) the hot water hose from one of the sinks flailing around wildly spewing ho water everywhere and onto the sales floor. This was 30 minutes or so from when I was supposed to leave.

cactus9
Apr 11 2015 07:05

Overconsumption.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Apr 11 2015 10:03

Getting up at 7:00 in the morning.

Also, I get really annoyed when I see a good commercial - I mean, there's these really creative, talented people who have to shill themselves out to capital just to make a living.

Cooked's picture
Cooked
Apr 11 2015 10:32

Today? Nothing as of yet. Yesterday it was working on something at work that should be useful and positive but instead has been framed and boxed in so that very little good can come out of it. A useful task being twisted by the needs of capital to do mostly damage.

The most terrible thing being that the above is basically the definition of work. Something many people spend a huge chunk of their lives doing.

A small everyday problem that cannot be solved except by revolution.

Kureigo-San's picture
Kureigo-San
Apr 11 2015 10:34

I hate when I met a new person who is really friendly & likeable, and then they reveal themselves as racist or homophobic with some throwaway comment.

boomerang
Apr 11 2015 14:13
Cooked wrote:
Today? Nothing as of yet. Yesterday it was working on something at work that should be useful and positive but instead has been framed and boxed in so that very little good can come out of it. A useful task being twisted by the needs of capital to do mostly damage.

I think about this a lot too. What was it in this case you were working on, and how was it twisted and corrupted?

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 11 2015 14:33

I hate how almost everyone sees it as natural and inevitable and how communism is so readily dismissed. Recently an old friend of mine blew his top when I said that liberal democracy was objectionable and that I wouldn't be voting. He said anarchism was plain fucking dumb and that we enjoy more freedom right now that at any other time and place in history. The arrogance of it! I've been looking closely at 'our democracy' for over 3 decades and subject to it for many years longer. I have experience of it and know how it has failed me, abused me and terrorised me but with my friend my knowledge and personal experience counts for nothing. It's ok though for him to just dismiss out of hand something that I have put a lot of time into learning about but he doesn't have an even basic understanding of. All of this was accompanied by a look that made it clear that he thinks I'm fucking mental. He spends his spare time as an activist for the Labour Party yet I'm the mad one???????????

Agent of the International's picture
Agent of the In...
Apr 11 2015 14:47
boomerang wrote:
Cooked wrote:

I think about this a lot too. What was it in this case you were working on, and how was it twisted and corrupted?

Railyon's picture
Railyon
Apr 11 2015 15:27
Webby wrote:
I hate how almost everyone sees it as natural and inevitable and how communism is so readily dismissed.

You know shit's going down when My Little Pony turns into anti-communist propaganda.

But seriously, I can empathize - makes me not want to talk politics anymore, especially because there's been an outright explosion in nationalism and xenophobia for the last year or so in Germany.

And then there's the German minimum wage laws every two-bit journalist and petit-bourgeois seems to crap on, even though it has more exceptions and holes than Swiss cheese. There's always someone screaming "U GON GIT UNEMPLOYT". How so if only a handful of people are eligible in the first place? That's something that really grinds my gears lately (and I'm currently writing my bachelor's thesis on that so it's even sadder).

Scallywag
Apr 11 2015 18:35

That some of the arguments people use to prop up capitalism are that it maximises individual freedom, gives you a great deal of choice and ability to make the most of yourself. and is the best system if you just want to be left alone.

What's ironic is that some of the people who really do believe that and aren't just ideologues would greatly welcome an anarchist society were to be suddenly established right now and would become some of it's fiercest defenders.

In a well established anarchist society people would look back on the period of capitalism and wonder how the hell we could live through it without breaking down, and how the hell so many accepted it and even argued that it was the best system for maximizing freedom, innovation and creativity.

Anarchism would be seen as 'common sense' which is a good thing, but annoying today since it just shows how unnecessary, unwanted and bloody well stupid capitalism is.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 11 2015 20:22

I just found out I'm going to be working in a new build house in the Cotswolds in the autumn. Apparently the floor area is 3,300 square metres. To put that in context, an average one bedroom flat in the UK is probably 30-35. So this place is one hundred times the size and of a flat that maybe a couple with a child live. The plot it is being built on is 800 acres!
All of that is extravagant enough but guess what? Mostly, the owner won't be living there - it's to be a sort of occasional country retreat. What is there to be said about that?

Kureigo-San's picture
Kureigo-San
Apr 11 2015 20:52

I'm sure they worked very hard for that though, didn't they, Webby?

That brings another one to mind..when you talk about the property-owning classes and people defend them as hard-working. Harder working than my single mum working as a house cleaner for said property-owning classes? I'd be surprised

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 11 2015 22:02
Kureigo-San wrote:
I'm sure they worked very hard for that though, didn't they, Webby?

That brings another one to mind..when you talk about the property-owning classes and people defend them as hard-working. Harder working than my single mum working as a house cleaner for said property-owning classes? I'd be surprised

A lot of these people do work really hard and continue to do so long after they've made enough wedge to fulfil their every need forever. In a way it makes it even worse, they never actually enjoy the most valuable thing that heaps of dough can buy you, time. That is so fucking stupid. Working hard because you have to is in some ways admirable, but working hard when there's no need like these rich guys strikes me as pretty idiotic.

bastarx
Apr 11 2015 23:36

Next time someone tells you they got rich because of hard work ask them whose.

boomerang
Apr 12 2015 04:47

Not enough time.