What famous communists or anarchists have you met?

113 posts / 0 new
Last post
gypsy
Dec 2 2009 18:47
Devrim wrote:
Vlad336 wrote:
whoa wait what?! Debord slagged off Devrim's ma?! This is a joke, right? If not, context plz!

It was at a party in Paris. He was drunk and abusive to my mother.

Devrim

Did you become involved in politics because of the influence of your mother ?

Farce's picture
Farce
Dec 2 2009 19:49
dan b wrote:
Did you know that Tolstoy halped to send the Christian Anarchist called the Doukhobors to Canada in 1998. Along with them came Bonch-Bruevich(sorry wrong spelling.) Bonch stayed with the Doukhobors for a year and then came back to Russia and was Lenins mentor and the secratary of the Soviet Union for 7 years? The Douhobors invented Communism. dan b

Tolstoy halped do what in 1998?

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Dec 3 2009 08:23
allybaba wrote:

No, not really. My family was always political, so of course that had some influence. However, they were mostly Stalinists. My mother ended up in anarchism, and I was an anarchist at that time though.

I left home early though, at the age of 15, and worked in construction abroad for a while. By the time that my mother was getting into anarchism, she had moved to Paris, and I was living in London, so we didn't see each other that often, as flights and travel was relatively much more expensive in those days, and I worked six days a week as a postman.

Of course, we talked about these things, but it was a separate development.

It wasn't as if I got it all from her. The scene with Debord was basically about him being upset that she didn't know who he was.

Devrim

888's picture
Dec 3 2009 08:41
Devrim wrote:
The scene with Debord was basically about him being upset that she didn't know who he was.

Ha ha ha what an arse he is! Your mother sounds quite amusing.

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Dec 3 2009 18:34

Of all the people I've met who qualify as famous according to the standards of this thread - none of them are worth mentioning.

gypsy
Dec 3 2009 20:00
Devrim wrote:
allybaba wrote:

No, not really. My family was always political, so of course that had some influence. However, they were mostly Stalinists. My mother ended up in anarchism, and I was an anarchist at that time though.

I left home early though, at the age of 15, and worked in construction abroad for a while. By the time that my mother was getting into anarchism, she had moved to Paris, and I was living in London, so we didn't see each other that often, as flights and travel was relatively much more expensive in those days, and I worked six days a week as a postman.

Of course, we talked about these things, but it was a separate development.

It wasn't as if I got it all from her. The scene with Debord was basically about him being upset that she didn't know who he was.

Devrim

True flights have came down in price since then. 15 shit I would have pe'ed myself had I had to do that at that age. I find it interesting how people get into politics. I ask because my mother played a strong part in my political development.

Wellclose Square
Dec 3 2009 20:15
Quote:
Devrim wrote:
The scene with Debord was basically about him being upset that she didn't know who he was.

The scene...
Debord: "Do you know who I am?"
Devrim's mum: "There's a man here who doesn't know who he is."

Samotnaf
Dec 3 2009 21:04

Devrim:
So this is the party in Paris in the 80s - your mother is sitting in the corner knitting, Debord is totally pissed, everyone is discussing "feminism, sex and various topics" (though you don't speak any French, so can't understand), she looks up and comes out with "All sex under capitalism is alienated, especially with your father" - presumably to you and in English so you'd understand, Debord insults her in French (it "was basically about him being upset that she didn't know who he was"), and she refuses to translate (when I asked "what did the Great Man say" you said:

Quote:
I don't know. I don't speak French, and my Mum wouldn't repeat it.)

but you know what it was "basically about". Curioser and curiouser - I'm waiting here with baited breath to know some details - e.g. vital questions like - what was she knitting? yarns maybe? fog? did she teach you these skills? and do you feel that your answer to Marsella's question, "Did they inspire you in any way?" is, in Debord's case, that he inspired you negatively, and so have since dismissed the situationist influence as being just a bunch of art students (from my memory - possibly not quite accurate - of something you said on a thread about 3 years or so back) and that's one of the reasons why you joined the ICC, a consistently anti-situ-influenced group, some 20 (?) years later....or am I way off or what?

More importantly:
There must be thousands of people who've met 'names' that seem significant to those who've read their stuff, or heard about what they'd done, years later, but really, when you meet them it's certainly no big deal - surpise suprise; it's about as important as meeting anyone else you've talked to about things that concern you. There are some who like to name-drop 'special' people because that makes them feel somehow special, like the way fans of pop stars might go on about how they'd touched Madonna's coat or something (once I told a guy I worked next to on a market stall that I'd seen Jimi Hendrix live on stage and he shook my hand as if the aura of even merely seeing the guy had somehow rubbed off of me and gave me some added validity and respect - 20 years later - that would not have been due to me otherwise). 'Fame' is a strange phenomena - people like to boast about the famous people they've met because, I suspect, it gives them a one-step-removed importance, nothing to do with what they do themselves . And people like to put 'names' on a pedestal, if only to knock them off and kick them in the dirt later. I think it's very much intensified with the intensified development of the post-WWll spectacle.

Since we're on the theme of fame - why not start a thread about the various obnoxious famous people, the celebrities, political or otherwise, of this world, who we've been rude to or heckled or whatever and answer Marsella's questions - "How were they personally? Were they what you expected? Did they inspire you (negatively) in any way?"

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Dec 3 2009 21:48

Samatnof, unfortunatley you have the wrong end of the stick though the mix is amusing.

Quote:
So this is the party in Paris in the 80s - your mother is sitting in the corner knitting, Debord is totally pissed, everyone is discussing "feminism, sex and various topics" (though you don't speak any French, so can't understand), she looks up and comes out with "All sex under capitalism is alienated, especially with your father" - presumably to you and in English so you'd understand, Debord insults her in French (it "was basically about him being upset that she didn't know who he was"), and she refuses to translate (when I asked "what did the Great Man say" you said:I don't know. I don't speak French, and my Mum wouldn't repeat it.)

No, they are two completely different events. I told that story because somebody asked about it. It wasn't connected though.

Quote:
Debord insults her in French (it "was basically about him being upset that she didn't know who he was"), and she refuses to translate (when I asked "what did the Great Man say" you said:I don't know. I don't speak French, and my Mum wouldn't repeat it.)

I know what he must have basically said. He swore at her, and my Mum wouldn't repeat it because she didn't use words like that.

Quote:
but you know what it was "basically about".

Yes, he was pissed off because she had no idea who he was. It was a bit like that story about Giggs in the nightclub.

Quote:
nd do you feel that your answer to Marsella's question, "Did they inspire you in any way?" is, in Debord's case, that he inspired you negatively, and so have since dismissed the situationist influence as being just a bunch of art students (from my memory - possibly not quite accurate - of something you said on a thread about 3 years or so back) and that's one of the reasons why you joined the ICC, a consistently anti-situ-influenced group, some 20 (?) years later....or am I way off or what?

No, not really, I think I said they had an interesting take on some aspects of art, but politically they were just second hand rehashed remnants of Trotskyism.

Devrim

Samotnaf
Dec 3 2009 22:11

whatever

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 3 2009 22:46

Let's all be nice please.

I once met a guy whose anarchist collective had Malatesta's pen.

And some of us libcom crew met Steve Wright a couple of years ago, he was a cool guy.

And I almost forgot! I once shared a prison cell with celebrity Big Brother celebrity Tommy Sheridan. I slept for pretty much all of it, using my copy of Negri's Empire as a pillow. I realised afterwards that Tommy was complaining about being bored, while I had a book and just used it to sleep on. Still, I can view it as payback for making me suffer his book "Imagine".

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Dec 3 2009 23:01

I shared a cell with Revol, actually I didn't, they put us in separate cells sad

petey
Dec 3 2009 23:11
Steven. wrote:
using my copy of Negri's Empire as a pillow..

roll eyes

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Dec 3 2009 23:15
petey wrote:
Steven. wrote:
using my copy of Negri's Empire as a pillow..

roll eyes

at least he didn't fucking read it!

Lexxi's picture
Lexxi
Dec 4 2009 06:58

Admin; you were warned - banned.

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Dec 4 2009 00:21

To be honest, I think this whole thread should be moved to libcommunity, as its entire premise is more appropriate there.

Battlescarred
Dec 4 2009 10:47

I've met Daniel Guerin, we had a long chat and he spoke good English. I knew Albert Meltzer and Miguel Garcia well, as well as Stuart Christie. I've met Octavio Alberola, Luis Andres Edo etc. I've met Rata a few times ( but does he count?) Had a short conversation with Bookchin ( this was when he was still an anarchist) Met some of the heroic old Bulgarian veterans; knew Chris Pallis fairly well
But isn't it the people who are not "celebrities" , who are often self-effacing who do all the "boring" day to day work who are the basis of any movement that are the most important??

Yorkie Bar
Dec 4 2009 12:44

Devrim's mum = total legend.

~J.

Thrashing_chomsky
Dec 4 2009 13:59

I've had sex on _____________'s sittingroom floor.

I occasionally chat to Mark Barnsley.

My SWoPie mate Ged is the last non-cop to talk to Iain Tomlinson before his fatal assault.

I'm mates with ******************- the CPGB guy with the anarcho-syndicalist star tattoo. Reeeegret!!!

I'm mates with the woman who got photographed as a clown kissing the coppers riot shield... you must have seen it [??]

Farce's picture
Farce
Dec 4 2009 14:13

When your claims to fame are a rank'n'file trot (admittedly one with a nice bike), a ginger CPGBer, and a fucking clown, you know you're in trouble.

gypsy
Dec 4 2009 20:03
weeler wrote:
More; did a night in the cells with leader of Irish SWP, drank with Ashanti - the anarchist former black panther, sat in numerous meetings with Eamon McCann. Lots of famous IRA types over the years too.

We should do a thread on regular famous people, I would enjoy.

Is he in APOC?

Deezer
Dec 5 2009 00:51

Lorenzo Komboa Ervin stayed in my house twice and I got him on the train for free. I drank brandy til 3 in the morning with Albert Meltzer in a guest house in Blackpool (think it may have been the conference that DAM became SolFed at) before getting 2 hours kip and then heading for a plane back to Belfast. I met Albert a couple of times and he was a great comrade. He introduced me to Federico Arcos a veteran of the Spanish Revolution (who I believe is still alive in Canada) in Barcelona in 1994. Rata has borrowed my flat in the past.

Oh, and also in 1994 in Barcelona I saw Bakunin at an anarchist expo. Wild beard and hair, balding in the middle, scruffy with a frock coat and smoking a stubby ciger. Wish I'd taken a photo.

gypsy
Dec 5 2009 09:06
weeler wrote:
I dont think so. We touched on their particular brand of lunacy.

Good.

http://www.anarchistpanther.net/

Heres his website.

petey
Dec 5 2009 15:46

seems to have stopped in 2007. (i think i've met the 'moose' mentioned on it, but only once.)

spandau-ballet's picture
spandau-ballet
Dec 5 2009 23:12

I have not met any of these people, but I had the very good thing of having my cd signed by original singer of matt bianco the other week. I know it is not applicable that much but I have been so excited about it been telling everyone. smile

nastyned
Dec 6 2009 08:34

Didn't he get called a wanker on childrens television?

spandau-ballet's picture
spandau-ballet
Dec 6 2009 11:07

Really? Why would a child shout that? He is a nice guy.

nastyned
Dec 6 2009 11:45

A classic moment:

http://everything2.com/title/Matt+Bianco+and+the+Saturday+Superstore+Incident

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEkB25V_ow8

gypsy
Dec 6 2009 12:08

nice

spandau-ballet's picture
spandau-ballet
Dec 6 2009 12:20

Thats bloody awful.