Aug 24 2015 16:25

Saw Batman & Robin. No words.

S. Artesian
Aug 24 2015 16:48

Phoenix. Recommended

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Sep 4 2015 20:04

Have just watched ‘The Homesman’, a western with Tommy Lee Jones and Hilary Swank. Similar to Clint Eastwood’s ‘The Unforgiven’, the main interest lies in the complex emotions of the main characters.

It has a darkness I find in the likes of Thomas Hardy. A great piece of storytelling which you should watch without knowing too much of the tale.

Jamal's picture
Jamal
Sep 7 2015 04:02

Phoenix

Seems to take a lot of cues from Omar, or maybe they weren't aware of each groups projects while in development. Either way, I like this trend of letting historical settings and situations that stem from imperialist conflict shape characters and story archs.

Can't recommend Omar enough, too.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Sep 8 2015 17:52

Veronica Mars - a little gimmicky but a lot of fun.

petey
Sep 8 2015 20:31

The Man in the White Suit
excellent. old fashioned capital v. labor theme that you'd almost never see in a major american movie now, or really anytime post-war. i wonder if the Alec Guiness character would today be thought of as having Asperger's.

Soapy's picture
Soapy
Dec 22 2015 17:28

saw the star wars movie, it was pretty good, definitely a step up from episodes 1 2 and 3, but that's not saying much. A good film all in all but not on par with episodes 4 and 5 I think mainly because the music wasn't as good and the world building was a bit wonky. Who were "the resistance" weren't they supposed to be the government? Who were the First Order? Why were they pissed?

It was a lot simpler in the original trilogy which worked much better, right from the opening shot you understood exactly what was going on, this one didn't really explain it. Also still waiting on the explanation as to why the clone troopers who are trained from birth to fight are so terrible at aiming.

Fleur
Dec 22 2015 17:32

NO SPOILERS. SOME OF US AREN'T SEEING IT UNTIL BOXING DAY.

Soapy's picture
Soapy
Dec 22 2015 17:32

lol, don't worry there's no spoilers there

Fleur
Dec 22 2015 17:41

Still not looking.....

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Dec 22 2015 17:50

Soapy #898
‘Also still waiting on the explanation as to why the clone troopers who are trained from birth to fight are so terrible at aiming.’

A reporter on Radio 4 the other night said he knew the answer. He’d tried on the trooper’s helmet and the vision was crap.

radicalgraffiti
Dec 22 2015 17:52

in a new hope they where trying to let them escape so they could find the rebel base

Soapy's picture
Soapy
Dec 23 2015 01:57

Also saw the martian. Spent most of is time celebtrating PROFESSIONAL SCIENCE and mythologizing a liberal middle class wet dream of what they imagine the technocratic elite to be (or what the technocrats think they do). Aside from the nauseating ideological message of the movie it was interesting enough to entertain me throughout.

Soapy's picture
Soapy
Dec 23 2015 01:52
radicalgraffiti wrote:
in a new hope they where trying to let them escape so they could find the rebel base

Ya but they couldnt aim for shit when han solo and leia stood in front of that door for 30 minutes in return of the jedi

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Jan 31 2016 16:57

Trumbo (2015)

In 1947, Dalton Trumbo a Hollywood screenwriter was jailed and blacklisted for his political beliefs. A good watch, which rather soft pedals the politics. Very well made in all other respects.
(Later, on the bus going home, I thought that Bryan Cranston should have called Saul.)

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jan 31 2016 21:35

Trainwreck - I'm not taken with AMy Schumer, this had a pretty boring story, told with no subtlety and only about three funny jokes.
Man Up - wasn't too bad and until the awful speeches as the end managed to bequite amusing.
Sisters - I was hoping to like this but it was just really short on jokes and like a lot of recent comedies doesn't really have actual characters or jokes so it's a bit hard to get into.
Bridesmaids - Like TRainwreck and Sisters watched with my partner who turned it off halfway through,unlike the other two I didn't go back and finish it.

Spikymike
Feb 3 2016 14:31

In a fit of nostalgia I went to see 4 old 1975 episodes of 'Day of Hope' as part of a Jim Allen retrospective at the cinema, a film made with his left-wing colleague Ken Loach who provided a short intro seeking to link it in with his current Left Unity/Corbynista campaigning. That unfortunate misplaced appeal aside the dramatised story of working class struggles and political illusions and the 'betrayals' of the Labour Party and trade unions from the First World War to the eventual defeat of the General Strike in 1926 was still a biting critique by to-days drama documentary standards - perhaps one reason why the BBC never repeated a showing of it since it's first appearance on UK TV screens.

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Apr 18 2016 16:11

A classic documentary: The High Lonesome Sound - Roscoe Holcomb (30 min)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I0ZxDXV4dc

x359594's picture
x359594
Apr 18 2016 17:01

Terence Malick's Knight of Cups. Largely disdained in the US with a couple of notable exceptions, I thought the film was more successful than Tree of Life and To the Wonder, his two most previous films.

petey
Apr 18 2016 20:34

re-watched O Brother Where Art Thou. almost as good as the first time, but some of the characterization seemed clunky.

cactus9
Apr 25 2016 22:07

Hail Caesar. It was entertaining but other than that I didn't really know what to make of it.

Anomalisa. I thought it could have been so much more. Beautifully made though.

cactus9
May 18 2016 22:40

Oh yeah also, not quite the last film I watched but the last blow me away good film I watched was Carol, great film and totally transended the subject matter which I thought kind of made a good point about the importance or otherwise of sexuality. Care Blanchett is a great actress even if she does lack range.

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
May 20 2016 09:04

This guy is not an anarchist he is a radical/leftist, who confirms my belief that anarchism is part of the left. If I didn’t think that, it would be to deny Horton shares part of my belief system. If he is part of working class history, why should I deny that I am on the left?
Before anyone puts up the ideological shutters give this a watch.

PBS Myles Horton - A Radical Hillbilly (Bill Moyers Journal) 1981 Documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HGJQ2ZE38k

Schmoopie's picture
Schmoopie
May 20 2016 10:27

I'm really enjoying this film on Myles Horton, Auld-bold. Thank you.

Schmoopie's picture
Schmoopie
May 20 2016 10:30

I was sent the link to the trailer for the film, Comrades, this morning. It looks like a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RqjsIVGRJE

Gulai Polye
May 24 2016 04:47

The east (2013)

An ecoanarchist insurection cell called the east gets infiltrated by spies from a capitalist company.

Dont expect too much from a mainstream Hollywood movie, though the anarchists are portrayed better than what you would have expected from Hollywood

cactus9
May 25 2016 22:29

Grave of the fireflies, the Studio Ghibli film. Historically very educational, it taught me a lot I didn't know and has.sparked my curiosity to learn more about Japan and the second world war. As a film I felt it was just too sad for me, it also lacked any suspense in the way the story arc was laid out. But I think the filmmakers were trying to do something and they did it well.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jun 30 2016 20:59

A bad taste fest - Divine in Polyester

http://youtu.be/dYwDXfBJ9ZY

potrokin
Jun 30 2016 21:41

Cloud Atlas, which is 3 hours long but which I enjoyed, especially the Timothy Cavendish bits, which were the best parts of the film. Also a Tim Burton film called Coraline, enjoyed that too.

MT
Jun 30 2016 23:14

Green Room - untypical, i surely recommend
The Grimsby Brothers - probably the best "borat" film in terms of the balance of good/bad jokes
They Live - what a surprise! i wish there were movies like this these days...
13 Hours - yeah, i know... and i liked it a lot:)
Captain America 3 - better than thor movies, not as good as avengers, but i still enjoyed it
Deadpool - good fun
Revenant - everybody hates it but me:)
The Hateful Eight - what the hell was this about? and why i liked it?smile