What was the last film you watched? v3

1101 posts / 0 new
Last post
adri
Feb 22 2017 21:50

They could have just called that film "Noam Chomsky." They mention him in like three different scenes. I don't know what "Captain Fantastic" is all about. I liked it anyway, even though I thought they could have filmed some more scenes or developed the story in some areas (guess they're leaving it to the viewer's imagination). I liked that one bit: "I'm hungry!" and he responds, "Well then maybe one of you should have shot the fucking sheep."

cactus9
Feb 26 2017 18:18

Moonlight. I didn't love this as much as I was hoping to but then when Mark Kermode says it's probably the best film he'll see this year a film has a lot to live up to. I really liked (not the right word) the drugs theme. I thought this was really strong and not much trailed. The treatment of the main character growing up gay was a bit weaker I thought and I wasn't surprised to learn that the director is straight, it didn't hit me in the guts like I wanted it to. Some great dialogue as you would expect from a play adaptation. I'd like to see it again though.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Feb 26 2017 18:36

Fist fight : pretty basic film with Charlie Day and Ice Cube. Ice Cube plays an angry shouter and Charlie Day a wussy person that isn't Charlie from Sunny. Not really worth a watch, at points it does seem like they actually planned a proper story but couldn't really be bothered to actually write most of it in.

My Blind Brother : Nick Kroll being surprisingly unshit as a guy upstaged by his blind borther played by Adam Scott and a love triangle with Jenny Slate. Pretty simple romantic comedy, worth an hour and a half although nothing amazing happens. The brothers' dynamic is quite good.

wojtek
Feb 26 2017 19:24
Quote:
Moonlight

https://youtu.be/WJTwFjX6Pzk

cactus9
Feb 26 2017 19:30
wojtek wrote:
Quote:
Moonlight

https://youtu.be/WJTwFjX6Pzk

Yeah, basically that.

cactus9
Mar 1 2017 08:56

Fences. I really enjoyed this, more a film of a play than a film but then I like plays.

cactus9
Mar 1 2017 19:05

Home. An unconventional French family find their idyllic existence changes when the disused motorway they live next to reopens. Good film.

cactus9
Mar 2 2017 20:57

Wadjda. A story about a young Saudi girl and her quest to buy a bike. A thought-provoking and powerful film. Really excellent.

potrokin
Mar 2 2017 22:49

I Daniel Blake- moving and powerful.

potrokin
Mar 2 2017 22:53
Serge Forward wrote:
potrokin wrote:
Serge Forward wrote:
Captain Fantastic. Really enjoyed it.

I watched that last night. A brilliant, beautiful and funny film, it was great. Hard to pick a favourite part of the film but the Noam Chomsky quote at the end was awesome.

And a happy Noam Chomsky day to you too! Easily my favourite film over the last 12 months.

Cheers serge smile same to you

potrokin
Mar 2 2017 23:06
zugzwang wrote:
I liked that one bit: "I'm hungry!" and he responds, "Well then maybe one of you should have shot the fucking sheep."

That bit was hilarious. There were atleast a few funny bits for me, including when they went to meet the more conventional members of the family and them being shocked about how open he was with his kids and when he asked his youngest child to demonstrate his knowledge of the Bill of Rights compared to what their, much older, kids knew.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Mar 2 2017 23:03
Quote:
I, Daniel Blake, about as subtle as a fucking sledgehammer but I guess as a polemic that was kind of the point. Did reduce me to tears at one point.

Yeah, a couple of those scenes are fucking brutal, huh?

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Mar 2 2017 23:15
jef costello wrote:
Fist fight : pretty basic film with Charlie Day and Ice Cube. Ice Cube plays an angry shouter and Charlie Day a wussy person that isn't Charlie from Sunny. Not really worth a watch, at points it does seem like they actually planned a proper story but couldn't really be bothered to actually write most of it in.

Jef, I really do think you've missed your calling as a film critic.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Mar 2 2017 23:17

Not most recent, but I saw Lobster a while a go and I really enjoyed that. Pretty bizarre and has some really great dark comedy.

petey
Mar 3 2017 03:30
cactus9 wrote:
Clerks - what a great film. Gripping, hilarious, visually stunning. Love it. The benchmark against which all indie films should be measured.

The Grifters - never seen this before, really enjoyed it. A great eighties film. Trancended the crime/ heist genre to be a great study of character.

i saw grifters when it came out. i thought huston was convincing but not cusack, just too soft in the face. good film though.

e2a, speaking of Cusack, i should watch Grosse Point Blank again.

potrokin
Mar 4 2017 16:25
Chilli Sauce wrote:
Not most recent, but I saw Lobster a while a go and I really enjoyed that. Pretty bizarre and has some really great dark comedy.

As disturbing as that film is, it is atleast original.

petey
Mar 5 2017 17:37
petey wrote:
e2a, speaking of Cusack, i should watch Grosse Point Blank again.

so i did. better than i remembered it. thin story, but good performances from alan arkin (as always), and j. cusack (there are four cusacks in the movie). curious fact: most of the top billers are irl from around chicago.

cactus9
Mar 5 2017 16:43

The Selfish Giant. A rewatch. One of the best films I've seen in recent years. Aesthetically stunning if maybe a tiny bit glossy and a story that rewards attention. Of particular note for the details of the scrap metal trade, the vernacular spoken by the characters and the film's brutal ending. Incredible acting from the two young actors in the lead roles.

el psy congroo
Mar 5 2017 16:38

Re: I, Daniel Blake

Yeah, who didn't start crying when they both start bawling at the brothel? Or in the food deposit. Heavy shit.

adri
Mar 7 2017 05:33

Yeah, I thought Daniel was a beautiful movie, even though I'm from the states and don't know much about the UK. (I googled and learned what a CV is.) It really captures all the degrading and bureaucratic crap some people must go through just to survive, begging for horrible jobs and being looked down on as lazy and whatnot when they need support.

cactus9
Mar 11 2017 19:31
el psy congroo wrote:
Re: I, Daniel Blake

Yeah, who didn't start crying when they both start bawling at the brothel? Or in the food deposit. Heavy shit.

I didn't cry in the brothel but I nearly choked trying to swallow my sobs at the scene in the food bank. The shame of poverty has got to be one of the worst things, seriously, fuck it. Really got to me.

cactus9
Mar 11 2017 19:46

I've had the week off so I've had a bit of a mini film festival.

Certain Women - loved this film, a very dignified and beautifully told film. I never wanted it to end. Absolutely incredible structure as well, three stories with different tone and style but which fitted together really well. The only bum note in the film was (I thought) slight comedy in the tale of the guy with brain damage which didn't sit well with me, definitely see this film if you like your films thoughtful.

The Fits - a low budget, near experimental film about a girl who joins a dance team who start experiencing mysterious fits. Really good, interesting film.

Old Joy - I liked this film about two guys on a road trip to find hot springs, low budget but that kind of got you closer to the characters. Felt very authentically true to the little that I know of America. A satisfying watch.

Wendy and Lucy - I liked this film too, but it's very sad. Michelle Williams is a near penniless drifter heading to Alaska to try and make some money in the salmon factories there. Again low budget and again that got you close to the character.

Lovetrue - I really liked Bombay Beach by the same director but I was a little disappointed by this film. Also it is really quite depressing, didn't have the same anarchic joy in as Bombay Beach and really suffered for this. Also didn't really seem to have a message which I think Bombay Beach did albeit a complicated one.

Meeks Cutoff - really liked this film, about pioneers lost and starting to get desperate to find water. Well worth a watch even though I usually don't like period films.

Archipelago - literally the most relentlessly middle class film I have ever seen. I couldn't get past this and I was quite glad it ended.

cactus9
Mar 14 2017 23:22

Petty Romance. A Korean romcom about a comic book artist and a story writer. It was quite good, nice to see something different. Some of it made the feminist in me wince but then I think that's generic to romcoms.

cactus9
Mar 15 2017 22:00

Manchester by the Sea - it was ok. I wasn't massively feeling it. My reservations about big budget indies apply to this too. Somehow, although it was all supposed to be so realistic, it just didn't feel real to me. I mean, it was good and everything, just not as great as I'd thought it was going to be. It was both too hardhitting and too saccharine to be really good, almost a bit clumsy.

Edit: I just checked and it didn't really have a big budget. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood. I think it's difficult when something's been hyped up, has a lot to live up to. It's a lot easier to love something when you feel like you've discovered it yourself.

cactus9
Mar 16 2017 21:31

Tiny Furniture - Lena Dunham stars as a girl who moves home to New York after college. I don't know why I watched this, I don't really like Lena Dunham and it was pretty middle class. But I really liked it, it was really funny and cute and painful at times.

potrokin
Mar 16 2017 22:14

Hell or High Water. Although I had a few objections to this film, one of them being how macho it was- I liked the hostility shown throughout the film towards the banks being robbed and the hostility to poverty expressed by the characters in the film and it was a pretty good film.
The film is about two brothers who are poor who decide to get revenge on one particular bank after it ripped off their family. One of the brothers is a hothead who has not long come out of prison and the other is a more law abiding and level-headed guy. Jeff Bridges is the cop, about to retire, who is after them, on his last case.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Mar 16 2017 22:11

This thread could be renamed to "What was the last film cactus9 watched?" wink

Anyhoo, lately I've been watching a lot of war documentaries (Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria mostly). Can't even remember most of the titles, but rewatched Restrepo and Korengal that were both really good. There's also a great doc about the photographer of those documentaries called Which Way to the Frontline? that is also really good. The next such documentary I will likely watch is the White Helmets one.

potrokin
Mar 16 2017 22:18
Khawaga wrote:

Anyhoo, lately I've been watching a lot of war documentaries (Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria mostly). Can't even remember most of the titles, but rewatched Restrepo and Korengal that were both really good. There's also a great doc by the photographer of those documentaries called Which Way to the Frontline? that is also really good. The next such documentary I will likely watch is the White Helmets one.

Interesting recommendations, thankyou.

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Mar 16 2017 22:28

I raided my DVD shelf and found a film I hadn't watched yet. That was Underfire starring Gene Hackman and Nick Nolte. I'm pretty sure I got this after I watched Salvador. Its a bit like Salvador only this time the liberal American journalist is in Nicaragua in the last days of Somoza.

Didn't really like it, but I didn't find it to be a chore to watch if that makes sense? Its a weird film, nearly every plus point has a negative and it just sort of balances out. It has a lot of accurate information in it (even included the Mussolini statues trivia). The Sandinistas aren't being backed by the Russians and are clearly the good guys, and reporter explains how corrupt and despotic Somoza is to his face which was nice.

And it depicts the death of the American news anchor (with names changed of course) and some of the street fighting is pretty clever. But it has this really weird plot about a fictional Sandinista leader whose dead, but they fake that he's still a live, and the action sense just don't have any tension, a couple look like they were filmed for a farce and spliced in.

Oh and it did have a scumbag American PR toady sucking up to Somoza. That was nice and you don't really see the PR for depots types get criticized enough.

Probably just watch Salvador instead if your curious.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Mar 16 2017 22:30
Quote:
This thread could be renamed to "What was the last film cactus9 watched?" wink

Dammit potrokin and Reddebrek, now my joke's not working.