What was the last film you watched? v3

1101 posts / 0 new
Last post
Noa Rodman's picture
Noa Rodman
Aug 14 2011 19:26

Beginning of the great revival

It plays Smetana's Moldau motif at the scenes of the International's conference (64 min) and the signing of the Treaty of Versailles (83:40).

wojtek
Aug 15 2011 10:38

you have to see this, on a par with pineapple express!

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Aug 15 2011 20:28

Trollhunter and Source Code. Both decent.

powder keg's picture
powder keg
Aug 16 2011 12:05

Modern Times, Clockwork Orange, Goodfellas, The Producers, Blue Velvet, The Great Dictator, Labyrinth

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Aug 16 2011 13:05

A couple of nights ago I watched ‘Notorious’ with Cary Gant & Ingrid Bergman. Bergman was never better - very ‘believable’.

I’ve watched it before and it always makes me very uncomfortable. It’s the way people’s emotions are manipulated cynically by those in authority. It hit me that I’d the same reaction watching ‘The Spy Who Came In From The Cold’. Each movie is terrific at offering you the spectacle of people, on ‘both sides’ of the drama, being ruthlessly used, the ends supposedly justifying the means.

I’d recommend them both if you enjoy good acting; there is lots of suspense though not much ‘physical’ action.

dsovetkygh
Aug 17 2011 05:40

Airplane! It is old but still one of the funniest movies ever made. "S" is gonna hit the fan. And it did! Never seen it in any other movie.

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Aug 17 2011 10:07

Valhalla Rising which was utter poo. Calvaire which shows why you should never holiday in rural Belgium. And Synedoche, New York which suggests Charlie Kaufman is an interesting man.

batswill
Aug 18 2011 06:52

I saw 'Red Hill' the other night. From the opening scene I thought another B grader, commercialized to the Hollywood formula.... Bad man explodes out of prison hellbent on wreaking havoc on the small town cops that put him there. Thoughts of Billy Jack and First Blood, Kill Bill come to mind, the tranquility of wild open places shattered by the ultraviolence of people. In the most recently Westernised culture there are still the forces of a system of an alternate ancient law, but this is the theme of the movie, ancient sovereignty vs capitalism. Beneath the comedy and pathos that the script entertains one with lies the menacing truth that a great injustice has been perpetrated. I wont spoil it, but at the end I was actually supporting the one honest cop there was in that filthy little town.

piter
Aug 18 2011 07:04

Boxcar Bertha by Scorcese. quite good. a story (based on a true story and on the novel about it) of a girl during the depression, running with a unionist, and with some friends they are sort of forced into gangsterism by state repression.
didn't know that Scorcese made a film clearly against bourgeois order...that's cool...

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Aug 18 2011 08:50

Les Diaboliques - pretty good film with Simone Signoret as the lead. The suspense bit at the end dragged a little and I felt the private detective at the end wasn't quite necessary and the extra twist was silly.
A good film though, just not as good as the source novel.

powder keg's picture
powder keg
Aug 18 2011 14:29

I found this on wikipedia. I haven't seen it for ages. Mum had 'O' levels then. The local school was barraged by the planes throughout her exams. Dunno about the connection with Pinewood Studios!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Duxford
'In 1968 Duxford was used as one of the locations for the filming of Battle of Britain. On June 21 and June 22, one of the original World War I hangars was blown up in stages for the filming (without the concurrence of the Ministry of Defence) and the airfield was spectacularly filmed from the air in a realistic bombing sequence. Ironically this was the nearest Duxford came to being destroyed as no significant wartime German raids were carried out on the aerodrome. The French château, seen at the beginning of the film, was constructed on the south-west corner of the airfield.'

Toms's picture
Toms
Aug 18 2011 14:54
Khawaga wrote:
Trollhunter and Source Code. Both decent.

Have you seen Moon by the dude who did Source Code? Liked that movie very much.

knotwho's picture
knotwho
Aug 18 2011 21:39

Into the West
It has some great anti-authoritarian themes, and a look at how the Traveler community in Ireland are treated (don't know how 'real' that part is). This is an awesome movie to watch with kids.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Aug 19 2011 17:36
Toms wrote:
Have you seen Moon by the dude who did Source Code? Liked that movie very much.

Sure did. One of my favorite sci-fi movies ever. He's making another sci-fi movie now; the one he really wants to make. Considering that Moon was amazing, Source Code a nice lil' action flick I can't wait to see what he will do now. And he's the son of fucking David Bowie.

Watched the Adjustmen Bureau yesterday. Based on a Philip K. DIck story (which I haven't read) and that is sometimes promising, but that movie was just too boring. Nothing happened and it turned out to be a crap love story.

Toms's picture
Toms
Aug 19 2011 22:34
Khawaga wrote:
Sure did. One of my favorite sci-fi movies ever. He's making another sci-fi movie now; the one he really wants to make. Considering that Moon was amazing, Source Code a nice lil' action flick I can't wait to see what he will do now. And he's the son of fucking David Bowie.

Yeah, in Source Code you could sort of guess what was happening early which ruined it a bit, but still liked it.

Also they're already making an american version of TrollHunter...

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Nov 3 2011 07:23

Munich, probably the best film Spielberg's done? Plus Eric Bana's sex face wink

Melancholy of Resistance's picture
Melancholy of R...
Nov 3 2011 09:34

Munich was hard to watch - who do you root for? I just sat there grimacing and getting angry at the stupidity.

I took a day off this past Tuesday and watched Satantango. It's 7.5 hours long but is broken down in 3 segments so it's not as hard a slog as I thought. Tarr and his writer Krasznahorkai have an incredibly bleak view of humanity and by extension of social organization and politics. This film is a perfect illustration of this quote Anyone who says they love the working class is either an idiot, a tyrant or a tyrant in waiting. The working class, if we are to talk about it as a unit, if it has 'strength' only has the strength of a lumbering blind beast, this is what our bosses are aware of and this is why they control us in particular ways (carrots and sticks).

It's got some silly parts in it that don't work, but also some majestic moments and a total refutation of metaphysical solutions (which is a clear difference between Tarr and another slow-mover like Tarkovsky). It's also got humour, lots of it, but very dark.
If you can't be arsed to watch a 7.5 hour long movie then Werkmeister Harmonies does the same thing in a 2 hour package.

wojtek
Nov 3 2011 14:19

Dead Snow - one of the best zombie films I've seen along with the original Dawn of the Dead. My friend enjoyed it a little too much though- come to think of it, I think he's a closet fash. Anywho, does anyone know where this obsession with zombie films and 'the apocalypse' came from?

The Big Lebowski - a great (stoner?) film and almost as good as Freddy got Fingered.

Angel-A - so beautiful it made me cry, mainly cos I saw myself in the short French/Arab guy. The scene where they're both standing in front of the mirror is amazing!

Jenre
Nov 3 2011 14:42

Angel-A is a great film.

Watched A Single Man the other night with Colin Firth. Good film. He's a professor who's partner of 16 years dies suddenly in a car accident, and so he decides he is going to kill himself. Everything he experiences that day he chooses to commit suicide becomes even more poignant and his experiences more vivid. Some of the shots are beautiful.

Pengwern's picture
Pengwern
Nov 3 2011 17:28

I went to see "I Think we should talk about Kevin", then came out the cinema to find the City Council had nicked out car. I am now in litigation, with a little help from a whisteblower.

plasmatelly's picture
plasmatelly
Nov 4 2011 18:24

Tintin - absolute belter!

radicalgraffiti
Nov 4 2011 18:40

Troll Hunter

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Nov 4 2011 19:36

The last film I watched worth mentioning, was ‘Born Yesterday’ (1950, dir. George Cukor) with the marvellous Judy Holliday playing the dumb blond, ‘Billie Dawn’.

She died young of cancer her movie career blighted by the McCarthy witch hunts. She was the only witness I’ve heard of, who was not blacklisted or made to ‘name names’, as she gave her evidence playing the part of ‘Billie Dawn’. (She was in fact extremely intelligent.) In her last years she co-wrote songs and music with her boyfriend the jazz musician Gerry Mulligan.

Also worth watching is ‘Adam’s Rib’ (1949, dir. George Cukor) where she skilfully upstages Katharine Hepburn (who appears to have aided her career in the movies).

Harrison
Nov 5 2011 00:20

The Thin Red Line

(i cried....)

0nobody0
Nov 5 2011 00:51
Harrison wrote:
The Thin Red Line

terrence malick, who directed 'the thin red line', also directed 'days of heaven'. I think that one's worth a watch too.

MT
Nov 6 2011 19:30

Margin Call (2011)
I really liked it for its openness to think what you want about the whole topic (meaning it opened a lot of thoughts for everyone to think about). And the acting is a total blow! I wish there are more movies done with so much sensitiveness.

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Dec 23 2011 12:57

Out of the Past where Robert Mitchum tries to commit suicide by chain smoking. Blue Velvet, the only film to have both Roy Orbison and S&M. And Roger & Me, Michael Moore's documentary about the closing of a GM plant.

petey
Dec 23 2011 14:55

over two nights watched tinker, tailor, soldier, spy, the TV version. ahhhhhhhhhh.

jef costello wrote:
Les Diaboliques - pretty good film with Simone Signoret as the lead. The suspense bit at the end dragged a little and I felt the private detective at the end wasn't quite necessary and the extra twist was silly.
A good film though, just not as good as the source novel.

i know it as 'Diabolique'? anyway the detective is surely the model for colombo. (it's on my libcom profile under 'favorite films'.)

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Dec 30 2011 13:40

I saw Hugo a few days ago. The better parts of it are a homage to early french cinema, the remainder was a muddled overlong story about an orphan boy. It picked up towards the end but Sacha Baron Cohen was wholly miscast and it wasn't quite the family film I was expecting.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Dec 30 2011 15:03

Over crimbo watched:
Warrior not as shite I expected but fairly forgetable
The first of the recent Sherlock Holmes films - good laugh
Unknown - forgetable
Route Irish - decent enough but I'm not sure I'd watch again unlike most of Loach's other films