The Anarchist Workers Group (deceased)

139 posts / 0 new
Last post
Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 24 2011 12:11

Spleen, thanks for that post, that was interesting!

sawa wrote:
Martin O Neill wrote:
I think I am going to enjoy reading this thread about the good old days over Christmas. How long before L&S go the same way as the AWG?

How long before Solfed go the same way as AWG?
Sectarianism = boring.

sawa, that comment doesn't make any sense.

There are clear parallels between L&S and many aspects of the AWG, which aren't there with Solfed - AWG split from DAM, which was Solfed's earlier incarnation. Leading members of it being close to (or even members of) statist left groups for example.

One thing which strikes me is Paul Marsh above saying that we in libcom are like people in the AWG. From spleen's description, some of that does certainly ring bells (especially with regard to being the best dressed), and interestingly she/he suggests that AWG would have been better off being a think tank rather than an organisation, and I think pretty much that's comparable to what we in libcom did, rather than try to start our own organisation. Which I think would have been a big mistake.

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Dec 24 2011 13:37
martinh wrote:
They did a fair bit around the first Iraq war, which is where they ended up having lots of rows with anarchists as they were effectively arguing support for Saddam with their anti-imperialist line.

Chants on anti-war demos of the time;

Quote:
"AWG, you are barmy, you should join the Iraqi army!"

Harrison
Dec 24 2011 23:21
Steven. wrote:
One thing which strikes me is Paul Marsh above saying that we in libcom are like people in the AWG. From spleen's description, some of that does certainly ring bells (especially with regard to being the best dressed), and interestingly she/he suggests that AWG would have been better off being a think tank rather than an organisation, and I think pretty much that's comparable to what we in libcom did, rather than try to start our own organisation. Which I think would have been a big mistake.

libcom is like a think tank (ie. the admins) with a surrounding affinity group (in the non-wanky sense) which are the forum/blog/library posters. As well as drawing new people into anarchism, I suppose it promotes a certain current within anarchism and within the national feds...

It's a bit like Fontenis' OPB (translation of which is something like 'mind battle organisation') in the French FA, except without the shitty bakuninist / trot authoritarian methods

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Dec 25 2011 00:27

Does anybody who knows the old AWG people have a contact email address for either of the twins from South London who were in it. I was very close to one of them a long time ago, and would love to hear from her and find out how her life has gone.

Devrim

nastyned
Dec 25 2011 09:38
Harrison wrote:

It's a bit like Fontenis' OPB (translation of which is something like 'mind battle organisation') in the French FA, except without the shitty bakuninist / trot authoritarian methods

LOL!

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Dec 25 2011 11:18

I remember the twins. They were alright, so unlike the AWG 'leading lights'.

freemind
Dec 25 2011 14:16

I found the AWG to be quasi Leftist and condescending towards Anarchism and some to be very arrogant in the extreme.I respected their knowledge on many issues but I suspect their faith in Anarchism to be limited at best eg;whilst they were in the DAM they produced a document on Women's Oppression which had no Anarchist sources!When challenged they said there were none to quote from!When challenged on their non appearance at Anti-Fascist events D----p stated that there was no point unless a decisive final battle was going to be fought(very SWP).
They were thought very highly of by the RCP which is pretty damning in itself and smacked of middle classism in my opinion.

vanilla.ice.baby
Dec 26 2011 07:25

I remember ages ago on Libcom, a couple of the Southampton based former members of AWG rocked up with what they claimed was the first issue of a new revolutionary newspaper (more like a long blog post) before rapidly vanishing again.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 26 2011 14:10
nastyned wrote:
Harrison wrote:

LOL!

or we are just better at hiding it black bloc

Battlescarred
Feb 28 2012 11:10

SpleenCringe: "One thing I will say, though, is that we were the best dressed anarchists around. And we had the best record collections... "
Wrong, I was, and ditto with the record collection.

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Feb 28 2012 11:37
Battlescarred wrote:
SpleenCringe: "One thing I will say, though, is that we were the best dressed anarchists around. And we had the best record collections... "

I never saw your record collection, but as I remember you were certainly better dressed than them.

Devrim

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Feb 28 2012 11:59
Devrim wrote:
Battlescarred wrote:

I never saw your record collection, but as I remember you were certainly better dressed than them.

Ha!