History of Communist Left - particularly Italy

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
安藤鈴
Sep 17 2008 09:01
History of Communist Left - particularly Italy

Could someone please recommend me a decent text on the history of the Italian Left (preferably from a Left-Communist stance), covering the time period around 1900 to post WW2?

Also, is there any collected works of Bordiga existing?

Are there any other general texts on the whole history of the Communist Left - Russia, Germany & Italy?

English is fine.

Thanks in advance.

***Side question: I have read that Bordiga, unlike other Left-Communists, did not oppose unions. Is this true? And if so, why?

Rei.

Demogorgon303's picture
Demogorgon303
Sep 17 2008 09:08

You could do worse than The Italian Communist Left, published by the International Communist Current. They've also published studies on the German, Russian and British Communist Lefts.

Mike Harman
Sep 17 2008 09:32

If you've not already seen it, we have some Bordiga in the library: http://libcom.org/tags/amadeo-bordiga

安藤鈴
Sep 17 2008 10:00

Demogorgon303, thank you - that book looks just like what I want. smile

Catch - thanks for the link. There are some writings I haven't come across before - and some I have at marxists.org but the writers at marxists.org do not seem sympathetic to his writings.

Another question, if I may, where did Bordiga write on the USSR?

Rei.

Demogorgon303's picture
Demogorgon303
Sep 17 2008 10:25

There's another online of archive of texts of Bordiga's texts here. The texts are in a variety of languages.I think this is put together by one or more of the various "Bordigist" International Communist Parties. You may also want to look these organisations up on the web as some of them will have important texts like the Rome Theses etc. online.

morven
Sep 17 2008 14:15

Hello,

Being nosey, why the interest? Purely historical or do you agree with the positions of the communist left?

Anyway, books by Bordiga in English are pretty hard to find and I can't improve on the suggestions already given other than with these links:

http://www.geocities.com/antagonism1/bordiga/mtdtoc.html

http://www.geocities.com/antagonism1/bordiga0.html

However, if you read French or Italian you'll be spoilt for choice.

For communism! Morven

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Sep 17 2008 17:27

Not as well known as the Italian left, but the EKS book on the Communist left in Turkey comes out in English at the beginning of next month.

In some ways through the very nature of their experience the Turkish left were the most clear on the question of national liberation:

"The purely bourgeois and despotic group called the Turkish Grand National Assembly and that tries to present itself as if it’s for the people has done nothing to improve the living conditions of the people it supposedly represents and has already begun to try to block the danger it fears the most: the young communists secretly organizing in the country and uniting with the workers of the world. The Kemalist movement started throwing them to it’s dungeons at the first opportunity.
...But the point that matters to us is that all the acts of betrayal and murder were committed while in a close alliance to Russia whose help we strongly needed. While representatives in Russia declared that Anatolia was communist in their long articles in the Moscow newspaper, a horde of police and soldiers chased the real communists in Anatolia. Unfortunately all the help given by Russia in the name of Anatolian workers did nothing but to strengthen the Anatolian ruling class against Anatolian workers.
...Is it not enough that they sacrificed us to the dragon called capital, to the brain worm called the nation? We have seen all the governments brought by the bourgeoisie one by one: All of them promised liberation and freedom. What was the result? Nothing, right? They still say they love us because they say we share the same religion and country as them. Sure, who doesn’t love a cow that gives lots of milk? But is it not the time for us to abolish these parasites who get bigger and bigger with our milk and tear our stomachs more and more as they get bigger?”

The Road of Turkish Workers to Emancipation, TKP pamphlet February 1922.

Devrim

Demogorgon303's picture
Demogorgon303
Sep 17 2008 17:40

I didn't even know there was a Communist Left in Turkey! How can I get a copy?

Lurch
Sep 17 2008 19:30

Ditto

安藤鈴
Sep 17 2008 21:55
morven wrote:
Hello,

Being nosey, why the interest? Purely historical or do you agree with the positions of the communist left?

Hi,

Yes I agree with the positions of the Communist Left - I think that internationalism is the most pertinent question facing us.

I am interested in the history only insofar as I can use it as examples to back up my arguments.

And I find Bordiga really interesting.

Quote:
However, if you read French or Italian you'll be spoilt for choice.

Unfortunately, my French & Italian is poor.

Rei,

Sotev
Sep 17 2008 22:13

hi. there's P. Bourrinet's books, one on italian left, one on german-dutch communist left.
here's a pdf of the german-dutch. link (megaupload)

another book on german communist left, by gilles dauve and denis authier, which includes texts from the period. link

on Bordiga, you might want to read Loren Goldner's communist is the material human community, which deals at length with Bordiga. also there's a number of texts on this archive at the "n+1" site.

安藤鈴
Sep 18 2008 09:08

Sotev,

I would like to express my sincere thanks - the PDF file is very detailed - just what I wanted.

You have all been very helpful - now I have lots to read and learn. grin

Rei.

Sotev
Sep 18 2008 09:21

no problem.

forgot to add, his book on the bordigist current is also available here in pdf. but the formatting is somewhat odd. I believe the ICC books on both subjects are earlier version of his books.

Sotev
Sep 18 2008 09:23

hm apparently the download doesn't work. bummer sad

Demogorgon303's picture
Demogorgon303
Sep 18 2008 09:24

Bourrinet wrote both books while he was a member of the ICC and, at that time, fully supported the organisation publishing them. He left the ICC in 1990 and has since produced revised versions - the ones Sotev links to - which reflect his changing political positions (I think he's veered more towards councillism but I could be wrong).

安藤鈴
Sep 18 2008 09:29

Sotev,

The download does work - it opens up a PDF for each particular section. The download which combines them all doesn't work.

But that is fine - I can combine them all into one PDF anyway. Thanks again. smile

Rei.

Sotev
Sep 18 2008 09:34

do the PDF for the particular chapters work? (gci1.pdf, gci2.pdf etc). I can only get the introduction, the bibliography etc. the other pdfs are only 1kb each, that is they're damaged files as it seems.

安藤鈴
Sep 18 2008 09:43

Oh darn, you are right.

The first three files work and the conclusion, but the rest seem not to. :'(

Oh well!

OliverTwister's picture
OliverTwister
Sep 18 2008 11:48
Demogorgon303 wrote:

I'd heard once that they had a strong influence from luxembourg. Either way, sounds interesting and i'd love to see a copy as well.

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Sep 19 2008 22:05
Quote:

It will be published next month, and we will give out details of distribution then.

As the print run will be quite short, I will save a copy for anyone who orders in advance.

Devrim

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Sep 19 2008 23:10

Will you be putting a copy in the libcom library?

Demogorgon303's picture
Demogorgon303
Sep 20 2008 09:22
Quote:
As the print run will be quite short, I will save a copy for anyone who orders in advance.

Me first! (A prime example of how scarcity generates competition embarrassed )

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Sep 20 2008 11:24
Ret Marut wrote:
Will you be putting a copy in the libcom library?

It isn't my personal decision. It is an organisational one.

Nevertheless, I would imagine that after a certain time period we would. The functioning of an organisation takes lots of money, which unfortunately doesn't grow on trees. We in the EKS have the monthly paper, the magazine, and leaflets to print, as well as the renting, and running of the office, and other expenses.

For us, the chance to sell something at English prices is an opportunity to make some money to go towards paying for our work.

So basically, not immediatly, but when we have sold some, we will probably put it up.

Demogorgon303 wrote:
Quote:

Me first! (A prime example of how scarcity generates competition embarrassed )

OK

Devrim

yoshomon
Sep 20 2008 12:42

I would like a copy as well.

Lurch
Sep 20 2008 19:27

I want one too .. but a signed, first edition. Preferably bound in leather. Y know, just in case....
OK just put me down for any old one. Please.

Alf's picture
Alf
Sep 20 2008 20:03

Sure fire way to get it is to come to the ICC stall (outside) the anarchist bookfair on Oct 18.....

darren p's picture
darren p
Sep 21 2008 09:41

For a more general history of the "red years" try to get hold of "Proletarian Order: Antonio Gramsci, Factory Councils and the Origins of Communism in Italy, 1911-21 " by Gwyn A. Williams. There's a fair bit on Bordiga in there.

Sotev
Sep 23 2008 10:20

hello

Does someone know if the PDF files of THE 'BORDIGIST' CURRENT by P. Bourrinet on left-dis.nl are unavailable on purpose or is it just some technical malfunction on the site?

I found a way to, well, get the PDF book in it's entirety (which very very interesting), but I'm not sure it would be ok to post the files if they were taken down deliberately.
the mail on the site doesn't answer.

Also, Devrim, i think I would also like a copy of the book on communist left in Turkey you are publishing, provided that transfer etc. can be sorted out...

OliverTwister's picture
OliverTwister
Sep 23 2008 22:03
Sotev wrote:
hello

Does someone know if the PDF files of THE 'BORDIGIST' CURRENT by P. Bourrinet on left-dis.nl are unavailable on purpose or is it just some technical malfunction on the site?

I found a way to, well, get the PDF book in it's entirety (which very very interesting), but I'm not sure it would be ok to post the files if they were taken down deliberately.

Also, Devrim, i think I would also like a copy of the book on communist left in Turkey you are publishing, provided that transfer etc. can be sorted out...

The information wants to be free - put it on Libcom.

Sotev
Sep 25 2008 21:00
OliverTwister wrote:
Sotev wrote:
hello

The information wants to be free - put it on Libcom.

In my view, this is not about information, but the hard work of a comrade.
In any case, the files (and the entire site ) are easily accessible via www.archive.org

The PDF files add up to a 400p. document in "landscape" orientation. For economy reasons + readability I reformatted it into a typical 200p A4 document, which I will upload in a couple of days.

The book as I said is very interesting and informative.
The vigorous clarity of the quoted BILAN texts was quite a surprise to me.

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Sep 26 2008 00:22
Devrim wrote:
For us, the chance to sell something at English prices is an opportunity to make some money to go towards paying for our work.

So basically, not immediatly, but when we have sold some, we will probably put it up.

OK, that's reasonable Devrim. You might want to do a thread announcing its publication and purchasing details.