What was the last film you watched? part 4

194 posts / 0 new
Last post
Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jan 26 2019 22:03
rat wrote:
Good post by Noah Fence on A Clockwork Orange.

Have you seen Kubrick's first film The Day of the Fight?

Nope, not seen that, should I?

rat's picture
rat
Jan 26 2019 22:58

Probably, as it's only 12 minutes long, it's on YouTube.

MT
Jan 26 2019 23:14

Who is America? series - I liked it a lot. I wonder what people in the US think about it.

x359594's picture
x359594
Jan 31 2019 03:34
Agent of the International wrote:
Reddebrek wrote:
Oh, I almost forgot Spartacus; such a dull and mediocre film, I can't believe it was made by Kubrick.

Spartacus was started by Anthony Mann who was fired by Kirk Douglas. Douglas hired Kubrick to replace Mann, and some of Mann's footage remains in the movie. Mann was certainly more adept at Hollywood historical spectacle than Kubrick (see El Cid and Fall of the Roman Empire.) So in this instance Kubrick was a director for hire for the only time in his career.

x359594's picture
x359594
Jan 31 2019 03:38

The Other Side of the Wind. Shot by Welles between 1970 and 1976 the picture was held hostage by assorted legal claims that were only resolved two years ago. Stylistically as great as anything by Welles the movie is a take down of machismo and the New Hollywood of its era.

Agent of the International's picture
Agent of the In...
Feb 3 2019 17:23

Sunshine - a good sci-fi flick from director Danny Boyle. This was an HBO pan and scan version of the film. I hate pan and scan!

The Time Machine - it was showing on TCM. I had to watch it in two sittings. The first time, I found it boring and so I eventually turned it off midway. The second time, I thought it picked up a bit in the second half. I wouldn't recommend it though.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Feb 8 2019 20:00

High Noon - in the hope of getting a promotion I am watching cowboy films...
Retiring sheriff is threatened by the return of a killer he had caught years ago, now the town is peaceful they don't haevb any deputies to support him and everyone refuses to help him form a posse.

John Wayne hated it, called it unAmerican, which is stupid as fuck. Basically the sheriff tries to gather a posse to face down th guy but can't so takes on four men alone. The sheriff lives up to the lone hero narrative that Wayne thought they were mocking (draft dodger who made tough guy military films claims asking for help is cowardly), the subversion is actually in the fact that the sheriff is abandoned by the community.

Speaking of community I've been on libcom 13 years. As there's no libcommunity I'll just mention it here.

Fleur
Feb 9 2019 00:03

The screenwriter was a former CP member and had to testify in front of HUAC during the filming of High Noon. He never worked in Hollywood again, he moved to the UK, as did some other blacklisted artists. I don't think it's particularly subversive but it's still a damned good movie. It was made in about a month, on a shoestring budget to fulfill a contract to produce a certain number of films. The photography is amazing, the story is in real time. There were a lot of westerns on TV when I was a kid, I don't think I particularly want to revisit any of them, except for High Noon, which has always been a favourite of mine.

Talking of westerns, I've been watching the Westworld TV series and for the first time in my life I have wanted to go to Utah. The locations are just gorgeous.

Congrats on your longevity, Jef.I think I've been around these parts for about 6, although I have sworn to walk away in anger on many an occasion smile

cactus9
Mar 7 2019 18:50

If Beale Street Could Talk. Pretty good. The end is good.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Mar 8 2019 08:16

Thanks Fleur, I have wondered about leaving more than once myself.

The Man with the Iron Heart: pretty good film about the men who killed Heydrich. Better than the source novel because all of the metanarrative stuff has been removed (he spends a whole chapter complaining about not being able to read a pamphlet in Slovakian then turns out he bumped into an old lady very soon after finding it and she translated it for him. He then doesn't reference the contents. Very self-indulgent) Not sure if the film is worth watching if you know the story, I was just depressed, watching the Nazis massacre a bunch of people and seeing brave people die. Maybe if I had been in a better mood I might have found it more inspiring than depressing. I haven't seen the competing film Operation Anthropoid, that one had a bit more star power.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Mar 24 2019 21:10

Rio Bravo - good film, worth a watch. John Wayne doesn't ask for help and kills the bad guys. He has an amazing stealth move, which is slightly hunching his shoulders.

Father of the Year - David Spade as a bad father whose high-flying son gets stuck with him. Not too bad, I found the two young leads quite personable. If you want something a few simple and uncomplicated laughs then why not.

El Dorado - loose remake of Rio Bravo with, I think a slightly better story, Wayne's (poorly acted) spasms make things interesting, as does Caan's inability to shoot. It does however have added extra racism (Caan's chinese impression, endless talk of injuns), some very unconvincing stunt work and John Wayne re-uses the stealth move and adds a clever tactic running in a group, toiwards bad guys who are in cover, and not getting shot... I do like the ending with the main bad guy, though. It's why I watched the film.

Wall Writers - quite an interesting documentary about taggers in the US, mostly in New York.

Wayne - Not a film, it is awful. 'Guitars and violence yeah!!!' If that isn't all that you want then the odd and pointless story will bore you, the attempts to try to bring depth to a character that has none seem ham-handed and pointless and the complete lack of consequences for violence might be a little ridiculous. And the Boston/massachusetts accent always seems a bit ridiculous.

Ugg's picture
Ugg
Mar 27 2019 05:31

Jef have you seen the movie "Operation Daybreak" which is also about killing Heydrich?: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075019/.

I liked it a lot when I was younger; I remember it being kind of an action movie. I've been meaning to rewatch it sometime to see if it holds up.

ajjohnstone
Mar 29 2019 04:39

Prairie Giant - The Tommy Douglas Story

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prairie_Giant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Douglas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9SNHt6lRCE

Agent of the In...
Apr 5 2019 15:19

Jordan Peele's Us - good film but kinda disappointing.

Edited to remove spoilerish comment.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Apr 4 2019 16:39
Quote:
Jordan Peele's Us - good film but kinda disappointing..

Thanks for spoling it, I guess...

Edit: deleted the spoiler

Agent of the In...
Apr 5 2019 15:22
Khawaga wrote:
Thanks for spoling it, I guess...

It was probably a bit bad to include that bit about the [spoiler], so I removed it from my post. You should probably edit it out from your post as well. Although, it doesn't give away all of the mystery, so not totally spoiled.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 5 2019 19:40

They’ve re-released A Clockwork Orange. It’s still an abomination. Avoid it at all costs.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Apr 6 2019 09:47
Noah Fence wrote:
They’ve re-released A Clockwork Orange. It’s still an abomination. Avoid it at all costs.

What?
I liked the film. It is different to the book, but it's still good I think.

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Apr 6 2019 13:27

Thought ‘A Clockwork Orange’ as a movie, was ok. I didn’t really understand why everyone made a big fuss about it at the time. Kubrick was overrated IMO, and only ‘Paths of Glory’ was really a knockout - a gripping and well-rounded film. The ending was very moving with the girl singing to the soldiers, whereas Kubrick’s other stuff was too mannered (or manicured).

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 6 2019 16:16

Jeff, I quote myself here from earlier in the thread. Bear in mind I’m a bit of an obsessive - I’ve read the well over thirty to times, at least once a year since I first read it aged around 14/15.
Obsessive or not though, I think my critique is well justified(apart from my fuck up as corrected in the second quote).

Quote:
would go much further, this film is truly awful. I don’t think a film based on a book has to slavishly adhere to it's source, in fact I can see that it can be very difficult to do so, but the changes should be for a purpose, or at least not explode the whole premise of the original.
Firstly, the film is based on the American publication of the book which is a big fat fuck up in itself. That publication(which by now I hope has been rectified?) is missing the whole third, and concluding section of the book! I mean, in what universe is that a good idea? So on that alone the film is set to fail. However, the problems don’t end there, far from it - key scenes are altered in such a way as to remove the teeth from the entire story. The sex scene with the two young women which Kubrick has made into something out of Benny fucking Hill is supposed to be the brutal rape of two 10 or 11 year old girls, and for some reason that presumably only the skewed logic of Kubrick can explain, the accidental death of a senile old woman in her own home is transformed into the bludgeoning to death of a gratuitously ‘sexy’ looking forty something with a giant fucking penis in an art gallery! I mean, what the actual fuck???
Then there’s the casting - a vital part of the story is that these are supposed to be 14-15 year old boys, and that Alex is a small, slight, and vivacious, young looking one at that, he is mostly referred to as ‘little Alex’ in the book, instead we get a clumsy, plug ugly fucking oaf of a 28 year old playing his part! Jesus, my palm seems to have developed a magnetic attraction to my face just thinking about it!
As for the language, in the book it comes across as fluid, credible and very amusing. Once again the film makes a real dog’s dinner of it and it just sounds daft.
Really, any changes, however far from the original, could be justified if the end result was something of any appeal or value, but apart from some of the visual aspects, comparing the book with this film is like comparing a Michelin star dinner with a pot noodle!

Edit: In case I don’t make my self clear, a giant penis is used to bludgeon the ‘sexy’ forty something to death, I didn’t mean that a forty something with a giant penis was bludgeoned to death with some unspecified blunt instrument. If it was the case that she had a giant penis, she would indeed, have been ‘sexy’.

Re the bludgeoning scene...

Quote:
Lol, I haven’t seen the film for years so I thought I’d check this scene - I got my facts a little wrong but the criticism still stands, the changes to this scene(and many others) totally abandon the original narrative, to the great detriment of the story.

Agent of the In...
Apr 6 2019 16:22

I noticed it was playing at a local theater that specializes in classic films. I had no idea it was given a re-release. It doesn't seem like the kind of film that would attract a lot of admissions. I too thought it was just an OK film.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 6 2019 17:34
Agent of the International wrote:
I noticed it was playing at a local theater that specializes in classic films. I had no idea it was given a re-release. It doesn't seem like the kind of film that would attract a lot of admissions. I too thought it was just an OK film.

It’s always had a cult following in the UK since the enormous stir it created on its original release. I believe Kubrick himself withdrew the film from public availability. Doing so was undoubtedly the best thing he ever did for cinema.
As for it being an ok film, if I put the indignant bombast to one side for a moment, I dare say in isolation you’re right. Certainly the photography and the set design etc is stunning at times.
The thing is though that it doesn’t exist in isolation. The book is a masterpiece - inventive, compelling, linguistically extraordinary and absolutely hilarious and this is the problem. In particular, Burgess’s trick of getting you onside with someone who’s behaviour should make you hate him gives you the experience of viewing things from, and then eventually rejecting an individualist standpoint is completely lost in the film. The Alex in the book is extremely endearing, funny as fuck and as sharp as a tack. In the film he’s just a big fucking oaf. What a waste of an opportunity.

Sike's picture
Sike
Apr 7 2019 08:35
Auld-bod wrote:
Kubrick was overrated IMO, and only ‘Paths of Glory’ was really a knockout - a gripping and well-rounded film.

Couldn't agree more about 'Paths of Glory' - really a great movie.

Just about everyone I know raves on about how great '2001: A Space Odyssey' is but whenever I try to see it I always seem to doze off about halfway through.

Spikymike
May 26 2019 15:43

Enjoyable 'off-beat' Icelandic film with on-screen music backing and a surprising Ukrainian civil war connection at the tail end;
https://www.mysterytribune.com/icelandic-movie-woman-at-war-wins-nordic-...

zugzwang
May 28 2019 09:03

I'm debating whether or not I want to continue watching Twin Peaks. The score by Angelo Badalamenti is pretty nice.

Method of Freedom's picture
Method of Freedom
May 28 2019 10:25

I watched twin peaks (tv series) few years ago and remember liking it

zugzwang
May 28 2019 14:59
Method of Freedom wrote:
I watched twin peaks (tv series) few years ago and remember liking it

I'm really only watching it because I remember Alan Wake being influenced by it (can definitely see that). I'm not so keen on the police and fbi protagonists, and I probably shouldn't have read Lynch's wiki where he called himself a libertarian at one point in his life. Other than that it's not bad, and I like the dreamy music and overall style.

sherbu-kteer
May 28 2019 15:22

Are you watching the old or new series? I love both, but strongly preferred the new one over the old one. Don't worry too much about Lynch calling himself a libertarian, you wouldn't really guess that much from the show itself. I don't think he is anyway, most of his political activity is strange shilling for Transcendental Meditation, he used to support the Natural Law Party which is the party arm of the TM movement. Pretty weird stuff, they advocate for things like mandatory TM classes in inner city schools to decrease gang warfare.

It's a mostly apolitical show but for what it's worth the entire 'Dougie' storyline of the new series is a pretty direct (and funny) attack on the emptiness of upper-middle class American life.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
May 28 2019 15:54
Quote:
Natural Law Party

I never miss an opportunity to post the link to their party political broadcast...

https://youtu.be/438UKM1Av1g

I actually saw it when it was aired and was suitably impressed, as I’m sure you guys will be!
I’ve always felt disappointment at the lack of advocacy for bubbling bliss amongst communists. It’s probably the main reason that we never get anywhere.

sherbu-kteer
May 28 2019 16:07

That guy doing the yogic flying was getting some serious air, he must have great core strength