What was the last film you watched? part 4

246 posts / 0 new
Last post
R Totale's picture
R Totale
Oct 25 2020 10:21

Only halfway through cos short attention span, but I've been watching The Day Shall Come, the new-ish Chris Morris film that I totally managed to miss coming out last year, about FBI entrapment. Kind of makes sense as a conceptual follow-up to Four Lions. Is very good, a bit jarring to see him who plays Nandor from What We Do In The Shadows as a paedophile/FBI informant though.

Lucky Black Cat's picture
Lucky Black Cat
Oct 26 2020 02:27
sherbu-kteer wrote:
The biggest issue I had was Sorkin making the lead prosecutor a sympathetic liberal with a conscience when in reality he wasn't like that at all. You'll know what I mean when you watch

Ugh, gross.

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Oct 27 2020 17:45

Not watched it yet but on the 30th of October a yearly film festival is going online instead with several horror movies. The theme is scary films in the public domain (and Incubus)

https://youtu.be/p-y3sUeWeg8

It'll be on twitch, you can watch without an account but you'll need one to take part in chat functions.
https://www.twitch.tv/itcamefromthedomain

sherbu-kteer's picture
sherbu-kteer
Oct 30 2020 11:57

"The Mole: Undercover in North Korea". Really interesting, kind of crazy. Casts a nefarious light on those weird "Friends of North Korea" groups around the place, though it's still unclear how much of the film's juicy secrets were businessmen and pro-Korea fanboys talking out of their arse.

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Nov 18 2020 09:18
sherbu-kteer wrote:
The biggest issue I had was Sorkin making the lead prosecutor a sympathetic liberal with a conscience when in reality he wasn't like that at all. You'll know what I mean when you watch

Yeah, overall it plays fast and loose with the real order of events, but a lot of it can be explained by the needs to make a film interesting to watch and coherent for an audience that will probably have little understanding of the events. But the prosecution is Sorkin at his most Sorkin liberalesque. The only reason to make the prosecutor seem so conscientious was to play into the narrative that the real villains were the Nixon administration and not the legal system as a whole.

There's a tv movie version from 1987 that sticks a lot closer to the actual events of the trial and had the direct participation of the defendants
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTzYgiL2HiM

Its very much a one set tv play kinda film but pretty engaging still.

Another change that on reflection annoys me is the part where one of the defendants reads out the names of American combat fatalities. In real life they included the names of Vietnamese killed too. Because it was an anti-war statement, Sorkin at times seems to forget that despite writing seven different characters constantly talking about the war being bad and paints the new left as patriots wanting to reclaim proper American values.

Still I've watched it twice, once with family, so it does fly by and my parents were a lot more sympathetic to Bobby Seale -the tv movie can't really do the gagging scene as well, but does show the weeks of intimidation and bullying and isolation Seale received during the course of the trial a lot better, and includes some additional scenes of Seale spending several court sessions not only gagged but handcuffed and leg shackled and stuffed with gauze which makes it overall more horrific- so hopefully this will be one of those films whose popularity inspires more people to look at the story a bit deeper.