Rally Against Republican Bombings in Derry

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
_LIAM_
Oct 13 2010 10:02
Rally Against Republican Bombings in Derry

Members of Derry Trades Union Council have appealed to local people to attend a rally in Guildhall Square on Friday 15th October, to send a clear message to dissident republicans that "bombing will achieve nothing."

Liam Gallagher said DTU want everyone to gather at Guildhall Square at 1 p.m.

“We cannot afford to sit back and wait for another bombing incident, everyone who has the interest in moving this city forward must send a clear message to the dissident republican groups that we do not want another campaign of bombing and violence which will achieve nothing,” he said.

"It is important that we stand together and send a clear message that we want this campaign stopped in this city.”

The dissident group, the Real IRA, recently bombed the Ulster Bank and a row of shops in front of Da Vinci's Hotel on the Culmore Road in Derry.

The blast happened shortly after midnight - about an hour after the warning was given and while dozens of homes were evacuated in the alert, no-one was reported as being injured. The bank has been badly damaged.

This comes only two months after a 200lb car bomb exploded outside a nearby police station in the city's Strand Road. In that incident republicans forced a taxi driver to deliver the bomb to the front of the police station.

Spikymike
Oct 13 2010 16:26

Out of interest - what is the particular reason for posting this and what is your/your groups attitude to the '...important we stand together...' message from the Derry TC?

gypsy
Oct 13 2010 17:24

im guessing thats against sectarianism.

_LIAM_
Oct 14 2010 08:47
Spikymike wrote:
Out of interest - what is the particular reason for posting this and what is your/your groups attitude to the '...important we stand together...' message from the Derry TC?

The reason for posting it was to support the call for a demonstration against nationalist sectarian bigots who want to bomb the city that I live in back into the past.

As for the call from the Trades Council for workers to stand together against sectarianism I completely support it. The Trades Council is made up of rank and file trade unionists and it is good to see them taking a lead in opposing sectarianism.

Spikymike
Oct 14 2010 11:42

Thanks for that clarification.

As someone who in my past association with the Subversion group has taken a clear stand against both Irish and British nationalism and the anti working class sectarianism of the past IRA I can sympathise, as you do LIAM, with the general rejection of recent violent actions by the remants of that organisation.

However, I would hope that any pro-revolutionary intervention in the TC intiative, whilst taking a clear anti-sectarian working class stand, would also seek to distinguish our political viewpoint from the attempts by established politicians and their supporters in the trade unions to create a new capitalist consensus around the 'anti-sectarian ' theme.

I notice you refer to the Trades Council as being made up of 'rank and file trade unionists' which may be so, though I suspect they are not ideologically out of sink with the established politics of capitalism even then. Trades Council's here in England are mostly moribund groups dominated by a mix of low level TU bureacrats and left wing hacks, but maybe it's different where you are? Some TC's here are showing signs of some life in opposing the current Tory public sector cuts but they do so from a political perspective based on support ,critical or otherwise, of the Labour Party and as such act more as a force against any real class wide mobilisation.

_LIAM_
Oct 14 2010 13:45
Spikymike wrote:
I suspect they are not ideologically out of sink with the established politics of capitalism even then.

No and neither are the fast majority of our class but it doesn't stop us engaging with them and arguing for an anti capitalist stance. So why should fellow trade unionists be any different? You have to engage people where they are and base your intervention on real world situations not upon some idea of how you would wish it to be.

At present the Trade Council and various left groups are the only ones pushing for outright protests against the dissidents. There isn't another show in town so I for one will be supporting their efforts.

Bombs kill people - not having the absolute correct line on anti capitalism doesn't.

Spikymike
Oct 14 2010 17:03

LIAM,

Yes I agree that you have to engage with people 'as they are' and 'in real situations' but if you intend to do this by arguing for an 'anti-capitalist stance' then be clear what that means and ensure that you are alert to, and critical of, the capitalist anti-sectarian consensus and don't inadvertantly end up simply reinforcing this.

I'm not argueing for abstention from such events on some kind of purist basis, but if 'support' is offered it can only be of use in the long run if it is openly and honestly critical of both the left and right of capitalism (or if you like both capitalist war and capitalist peace).

I think it is a waste of your 'anti-capitalist' talents if you are just offering up your physical presence at such demo's but perhaps you have more than that in mind, I don't know?

Anyway best of luck.

_LIAM_
Oct 15 2010 10:35
Spikymike wrote:
I think it is a waste of your 'anti-capitalist' talents if you are just offering up your physical presence at such demo's.

Not at all. This demo has one aim which is to highlight the fact that the people of Derry don't want republicans planting bombs in our area. It isn't specially anti capitalist and I don't have a problem with that.

Fighting and winning smaller battles here and there gives people confidence in their ability to take on larger issues and provides a means for those of us with a clear anti capitalist agenda to engage and encourage people to go further.

Deezer
Oct 15 2010 13:25

Let us know how this went. Cheers