Last post
Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Jan 20 2016 16:55

Crispin Blunt: 'I use poppers and oppose 'stupid' ban idea'

jura's picture
jura
Jan 21 2016 19:20

Well I haven't read it anywhere and it's not that funny but there's a nationwide teachers' strike planned for next Monday in my country, and the current Minister of Education is a former student of both Werner Bonefeld and Bob Jessop. I had noone else to tell because nobody cares smile.

wojtek
Jan 22 2016 05:39

https://mobile.twitter.com/Seinfeld2000/status/663398271205965824

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Jan 22 2016 09:28
jura wrote:
Well I haven't read it anywhere and it's not that funny but there's a nationwide teachers' strike planned for next Monday in my country, and the current Minister of Education is a former student of both Werner Bonefeld and Bob Jessop. I had noone else to tell because nobody cares smile.

at least better (or not?) than Bonefeld or Jessop becoming ministers in a bourgeois government ... like some former marxist sociologists in Brazil

jura's picture
jura
Jan 22 2016 12:45
Entdinglichung wrote:
at least better (or not?) than Bonefeld or Jessop becoming ministers in a bourgeois government ... like some former marxist sociologists in Brazil

Yeah, sure – I wouldn't hold the career of their former student against either of the two. But if I were that guy, I'd have serious moral dissonance right now (I'm sure he doesn't, though).

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Feb 15 2016 10:42

https://workersspatula.wordpress.com/2016/02/13/marxism-too-mainstream-d...

petey
Feb 16 2016 21:30
wojtek wrote:
I think i may have a date with a banker haha

well??

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Mar 2 2016 12:44

http://spartacist.org/english/wv/1084/mejia.html

Quote:
As far as we’re concerned, if Mejía did knowingly use anabolic steroids, he did nothing wrong. Whether an individual uses drugs—for fun, bodybuilding or perceived enhancement of athletic ability—is a personal choice. We demand his immediate reinstatement and full restitution of back pay—with interest!

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Mar 6 2016 15:11

So, full credit to Auld-bod for linking to this on another thread but, man, this thread is its natural home:

wojtek
Mar 6 2016 18:37

Petey, she concluded i lived too far away so no gossip. It was too good to be true anyway.

redsdisease
Mar 6 2016 18:54
Chilli Sauce wrote:
So, full credit to Auld-bod for linking to this on another thread but, man, this thread is its natural home:

Wow, that was a hard listen.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Mar 6 2016 19:11

My ears are bleeding.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Mar 6 2016 20:09

But, guys, they've taken all our fish and money through the years.

petey
Mar 6 2016 20:13
wojtek wrote:
Petey, she concluded i lived too far away so no gossip. It was too good to be true anyway.

sad

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Mar 6 2016 20:41
Chilli Sauce wrote:

I think that you are missing the entire point; they are not 'your' fish. They are BRITISH red white and blure, happy to be cooked in too much oil, but distinctly saying 'No', to any innovations in the cuisine department that may be offered by foreigners type of fish.

Zeronowhere
Mar 8 2016 06:43

Surely they're polemicising against immigration more than the EU. In that case, given that everyone in the EU hates immigration, such separation might actually not help such a cause. You sure that, akin to Theories of Surplus-Value, we could not propose that that be some kind of fourth section to 'The German Ideology,' or supplement to 'The Holy Family,' etc.? Certainly people didn't generally give Marx that much more time.

Devrim wrote:
Chilli Sauce wrote:

I think that you are missing the entire point; they are not 'your' fish. They are BRITISH red white and blure, happy to be cooked in too much oil, but distinctly saying 'No', to any innovations in the cuisine department that may be offered by foreigners type of fish.

But Devrim, fish must be divided between their two qualities of water, which is their international existence, and fishiness, which is their Britishness metaphysically posited. Their fishiness is not only a metaphysical category, but its relevance to the price of fish is disputed. Hence, in being someone's fish, they are not 'British' fish, as their relation to water in essence is international, although this is in contradiction to their transhistorical Britishness and this must be resolved through the form of the 'international,' Tony Blair.

As fish themselves are either Turkish or nothing, of course, their Britishness hence has to be expropriated wholly from them to one David Cameron, and merely returned to them as recompense, despite the superiority of Turks to David Cameron. Hence, apart from any cunning references to Britain's relation to the US, we may state that their international existence is merely their being expressed in other forms of Britain, or in brief the immigration of all other countries into one fish, regardless of their specific nature. Hence, for instance, they must come into relation as British fish with the USA as another form of Britain, and the existence of fish is the reason why these countries must be treated both socially and in the bourgeois state as equivalent. This is, however, only a cover for the unacknowledged presentation of the fish as abstract and deified. Hence, the internationalising of fishes occurs through the exploitation of ichthyolatry.

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Mar 10 2016 11:11
redsdisease wrote:
Chilli Sauce wrote:

Wow, that was a hard listen.

even worse is this one

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Mar 11 2016 03:27

Oh yeah, that was amazing.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Mar 11 2016 03:27
Zeronowhere wrote:
Surely they're polemicising against immigration more than the EU. In that case, given that everyone in the EU hates immigration, such separation might actually not help such a cause. You sure that, akin to Theories of Surplus-Value, we could not propose that that be some kind of fourth section to 'The German Ideology,' or supplement to 'The Holy Family,' etc.? Certainly people didn't generally give Marx that much more time.

Devrim wrote:
Chilli Sauce wrote:

But Devrim, fish must be divided between their two qualities of water, which is their international existence, and fishiness, which is their Britishness metaphysically posited. Their fishiness is not only a metaphysical category, but its relevance to the price of fish is disputed. Hence, in being someone's fish, they are not 'British' fish, as their relation to water in essence is international, although this is in contradiction to their transhistorical Britishness and this must be resolved through the form of the 'international,' Tony Blair.

As fish themselves are either Turkish or nothing, of course, their Britishness hence has to be expropriated wholly from them to one David Cameron, and merely returned to them as recompense, despite the superiority of Turks to David Cameron. Hence, apart from any cunning references to Britain's relation to the US, we may state that their international existence is merely their being expressed in other forms of Britain, or in brief the immigration of all other countries into one fish, regardless of their specific nature. Hence, for instance, they must come into relation as British fish with the USA as another form of Britain, and the existence of fish is the reason why these countries must be treated both socially and in the bourgeois state as equivalent. This is, however, only a cover for the unacknowledged presentation of the fish as abstract and deified. Hence, the internationalising of fishes occurs through the exploitation of ichthyolatry.

All seems a bit fishy to me....

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Mar 11 2016 07:57

You could be picking at the bones of this for quite a while. You both need study each other's 'school' of thought, use your political 'scales' to weigh up your options and then give each other a grilling. Careful though, you could end up between a rock and a hard plaice and then you'll simply be getting out of the frying pan and into the fire.

whirlwind's picture
whirlwind
Mar 11 2016 08:21

This is not really funny. It is seriously scary. If my memory serves me right the outcome of an election can be irrelevant if the petty bourgeoisie has the will to seize political power. I hope you fellows have your combats dusted off.

Zeronowhere
Mar 11 2016 11:09
Chilli Sauce wrote:
All seems a bit fishy to me....

Perhaps this conflict is mostly a question of definitions, and in that sense cosmetic. Let's split up the Fourth International.

FOR TROTSKY.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Mar 12 2016 05:10

Surely, Noah, you're got to be squiddin me. I mean, you're really floundering with that argument. First, we'd clearly end up between the devil and the deep blue sea. Second, you've really jumped the shark with all your punning, but let's not turn this into a roe, codrade.

As to that last comment, we need to coral up all the Troutskyists and give them a good kick in the bass. Then we can worry about chipping away at the 4th Finternational.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Mar 12 2016 05:32
Chilli Sauce wrote:
Surely, Noah, you're got to be squiddin me. I mean, you're really floundering with that argument. First, we'd clearly end up between the devil and the deep blue sea. Second, you've really jumped the shark with all your punning, but let's not turn this into a roe, codrade.

As to that last comment, we need to coral up all the Troutskyists and give them a good kick in the bass. Then we can worry about chipping away at the 4th Finternational.

Wow, that's some serious punning, right there. I hereby concede my title to you oh great one. You got me hook, line and sinker.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Mar 12 2016 05:43

Why are you awake!?! It's reely early in the morning! You really need to catch some sockeye...

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Mar 12 2016 05:58

It's coz I'm having a whale of a time talking to you although I must admit I'm also a bit resentful about you taking my crown, in fact I've got quite a chip on my shoulder about it. Anyways, I'll wave goodbye now, gonna read my Salmon Rushdie book and catch some Zs. I might drop you a line later though, it would be good to hook up again. Have a cold at the moment though so will have to wait till I feel batter, then we'll get it salted out.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Mar 12 2016 14:09
Noah Fence wrote:
I've got quite a chip on my shoulder

Bit of class struggle history to this expression, don'tcha know:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/chip-on-your-shoulder.html

whirlwind's picture
whirlwind
Mar 14 2016 15:01

Although the explanation of the origins of the phrase, 'a chip on my shoulder', referred to above does make reference to the class struggle in England, the writer concludes that it originated not in England but in a display of machismo in America.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Mar 14 2016 15:09
whirlwind wrote:
Although the explanation of the origins of the phrase, 'a chip on my shoulder', referred to above does make reference to the class struggle in England, the writer concludes that it originated not in England but in a display of machismo in America.

Well, in it's figurative form, yes. But, FWIW, Wikipedia seems to lean towards the former explanation. In any case, figurative or literal, it's not surprising that the term would travel from portyards in England to a port city like New York.

petey
Mar 14 2016 15:18
Quote:
Glaciers are key icons of climate change and global environmental change. However, the relationships among gender, science, and glaciers – particularly related to epistemological questions about the production of glaciological knowledge – remain understudied. This paper thus proposes a feminist glaciology framework with four key components: 1) knowledge producers; (2) gendered science and knowledge; (3) systems of scientific domination; and (4) alternative representations of glaciers. Merging feminist postcolonial science studies and feminist political ecology, the feminist glaciology framework generates robust analysis of gender, power, and epistemologies in dynamic social-ecological systems, thereby leading to more just and equitable science and human-ice interactions.

http://phg.sagepub.com/content/early/2016/01/08/0309132515623368.abstrac...