Venting Our Despair & Supporting Each Other

127 posts / 0 new
Last post
xslavearcx's picture
xslavearcx
Feb 25 2013 00:02
jef costello wrote:
Thanks for your post slavearc I wrote a short story about a scene like that when I was about 18. Surreal to think it actually happened to someone.

Funny i was thinking about putting that in a fictional story of some form or another when i had a five minute ambition to become a writer - but then i thought it would seem too unbelievable ha!!

xslavearcx's picture
xslavearcx
Feb 25 2013 00:57
Chilli Sauce wrote:
sawa wrote:
xslavearcx wrote:
No worries ill just paste that on then - thanks :)

Thanks a lot, its apreciated :]
was half expecting hostility to trigger warnings cos it is libcom eeek :[

http://libcom.org/blog/trigger-warnings-why-we-use-them-15012012

By a libcom admin no less, comrade ;)

Yep, one keeps learning every day smile

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Feb 28 2013 00:42
xslavearcx wrote:
jef costello wrote:
Thanks for your post slavearc I wrote a short story about a scene like that when I was about 18. Surreal to think it actually happened to someone.

Funny i was thinking about putting that in a fictional story of some form or another when i had a five minute ambition to become a writer - but then i thought it would seem too unbelievable ha!!

They already made it into a film, except the bloke saves her by showing how to throw knives.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_on_the_Bridge

isawamouse
Mar 1 2013 00:14
xslavearcx wrote:
jef costello wrote:

Interestingly there's a scene in one of Sartre's Age Of Reason trilogy (think it might be The Reprieve) which involves a similar scenario taking place on the banks of the Seine.

Anyway, this is a really good thread, I've just read all the way through it, and there's some good life affirming stories and advice dotted around it, and also a lot of positivity and mutual support surrounding discussion of things which are by their nature quite negative. I've never been in this "general" forum before, normally I browse about the news, theory and history forums, very occasionally posting comments etc. But it's good to see folk talking in this way on here, I generally (and I don't mean this in a bad way at all) find the libcom forum to be quite dry, and at times somewhat harsh and critical. So it's good to see a bit of balance.

I've nothing specific really to add at the minute, but my interest was piqued when someone (not sure who) suggested in a post above that advice relating to how to deal with mental health professionals might be of use. I might be able to help with this/knock something together, as this is actually sort of what I do as a day job (mental health advocacy). If anyone has any suggestions as to how this would work, whether it would fit within some larger guide/document etc., please feel free to make suggestions.

For anyone in a situation where they find themselves having to intervene where another may be planning or in the process of harming themselves or in the midst of an episode of mental ill-health, having read this info might put you in a much better position to help:

http://mhfa.org.uk/en/first-aid-strategies/

From experience (given the line of work I am in it inevitably happens from time to time) I know it can be a daunting situation to find yourself in, but just knowing very basic things in relation to what approach to take/not to take, can really help make a huge difference to someones future. The info above is pretty straightforward and common sense, but I know how easy it is just to panic and clam up in these kind of situations.

If anyone has anything at all they'd like to ask me or thinks it might be helpful to talk about anything I've mentioned above, or anything relating to what's being discussed in this thread, but doesn't want to do this publicly, feel free to send me a PM. Can't promise I'll be any use, but I'll try my best. smile

Hieronymous's picture
Hieronymous
Apr 10 2013 07:14

[deleted] Thanks for the warm and supportive comments. I feel that I need to share my thoughts and feelings in face-to-face settings.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 8 2013 08:55

Shit man, sorry to hear of all these problems for you and those around you.

Quote:
When it all hits seemingly at once, it can seem unbearable.

It does seem to be the case that stuff like this comes in a sort of pile up. It's certainly been that way in my life recently but I've been getting through it ok. Christ though, it's really been going at you. I'm sure you will cope - I've seen time and time again that when under the most pressure, the human spirit really goes to work. I guess doing what you can for those affected is the best course of action but also, as you say, allowing time for your own grieving.
My thoughts are with you and best of luck in wading through this.

Topic locked