"Anarchists" Sent to Prison

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Stan Milgram
Nov 21 2012 20:57
"Anarchists" Sent to Prison

http://www.indystar.com/usatoday/article/1717857?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%...

I'm sure we're all familiar with this case from last year. It seems quite obvious to me the FBI or some federal agency grabbed a hold of these kids and goaded them into blowing up this bridge, or an attempt to do so - even going as far as to give them fake explosives. It's obvious. I think not only anarchists (while pointing out these boys aren't really anarchists) should try to keep wider attention on this case but people on the left in general should be concerned with the behavior of the government , they basically created this plot and now these guys are doing 8-10 year terms in prison. As stupid as they are I don't think this is 'justice'.

From just reading this article you can see they initially wanted to simply break some bank advertisements/signs but after ' coming in contact' with an 'FBI informant' they "considered a series of evolving plots over several months". Are there cases in the UK/Europe of entrapment with subsequent 'terrorism' convictions? At what point does the 'terrorism' charge come into play? Property damage? Physical harm to another human? Cases like this are worrisome and will set precedent to prosecute many of us in the future (for property destruction). Thoughts?

Soapy's picture
Soapy
Nov 21 2012 21:04

Oh for sure. I remember 2 years ago the FBI goaded some like 18 year old muslim kid from the suburbs of DC into "conspiring" to set off a bomb in the DC metro system. In addition to an 18 year old having their life completely destroyed, the DC city council was able to pass an ordinance in the wake of this giving Metro the authority to search bags and do pat downs on people entering the Metro.

Tim Finnegan's picture
Tim Finnegan
Nov 22 2012 15:28

I sometimes wonder, how much of this stuff is just a lot of thetre, a media-friendly way of justifying the entrenching of class discipline that was going to happen anyway, and how much of it is down to the fact that the state and its security apparatus are, as they genuinely seem to be, crawling with paranoiacs?

ocelot's picture
ocelot
Nov 22 2012 16:49

It's only paranoia if you don't get paid for it. Otherwise its a racket. A protection racket in this case.

edit: by the same token, there's no point getting overly narcissistic or self-important about how the targetting of anarchists shows what a threat the state considers us to be - we're more of a meal-ticket to them, than a threat. Anarchists have some media profile, ostensibly strange and aggressive looking, but nobody really knows anything about us. That provides a convenient blank canvas for the security state to project their perennial boogeyman figure onto, to shakedown more federal funds for their little empire.

Stan Milgram
Nov 22 2012 21:58

The more troubling aspect is the terrorism stuff. After 9/11 all sorts of laws in the Patriot Act came into being and now US citizens are being put in prison long term for 'terrorism'. Even the military explosives expert said the amount of explosives they had, even if real, wouldn't have done a dam thing to the bridge and couldn't have harmed anyone. The question is, at what point does a 'crime' transfer from property damage into terrorism? The use of explosives? Fire? Throwing rocks?