Freedom news paper changes

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Croy's picture
Croy
Sep 8 2011 16:29
Freedom news paper changes

http://www.freedompress.org.uk/news/2011/09/08/major-changes-at-freedom-newspaper/

Its going to change to a monthly with a couple new sections on art, sport etc. It seems like they are facing a bit of a hardship with keeping it afloat so they also ask for donations. But what caught me eye the most was them saying they are always looking for more writers. Firstly, has any one wrote anything for freedom before and had it published in a copy ? Secondly, I am thinking of trying to write an article about my experiences so far as an outsider coming into and discovering anarchism and trying to begin to understand the anarchist nature of my political opinions. Do you think people would find this interesting ?

plasmatelly's picture
plasmatelly
Sep 8 2011 16:36

Hey why not! Give it a whirl, I say. These sort of stories are always interesting. And thanks for bringing this to the worlds attention. cool

Baronarchist
Sep 8 2011 16:48

Could I write an article if I also intend to expand on an idea for a book? Does cap copyright come into play or anything, is it to do with getting paid?

Baronarchist
Sep 12 2011 20:56

Anyone know?

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Sep 12 2011 21:04

I would imagine that's fine. Authors often write articles highlighting arguments they make at length elsewhere. I'd email freedom to check though.

Ellar's picture
Ellar
Sep 12 2011 21:20

Sounds like a good ideo to me croydonian, in my experiance when your putting a anarchist paper together your just looking for as many articles as possible since you often find yourself with a lack of articles. Go for it!

Croy's picture
Croy
Sep 13 2011 08:10

I emailed them a couple days ago but have not heard anything back yet, and I think the deadline is approaching this week.

Croy's picture
Croy
Sep 13 2011 18:38

Ok so I got an email back. The editor said it would be interesting and he would happily feature it in the paper. Im excited to do it, and I think it will impress my politics teacher, but its just that I wont be able to put much time into it as I want to, got some school work due in for the day after that is important. Hopefully I will have enough time to do both well.

Ellar's picture
Ellar
Sep 13 2011 18:48

Look forward to reading it cool

Crow's picture
Crow
Sep 13 2011 19:03
Ellar wrote:
Look forward to reading it cool

Ditto. I hope the change to monthly brings them more subs, too.

Croy's picture
Croy
Sep 13 2011 20:47

Ok, so here's my first attempt.

I can’t actually pin down when I first came across anarchism and/or anti capitalist politics. My memory of coming across anarchism is rather scattered and all over the place, chaotic, which of course is not ironic in the slightest to those who understand anarchism. A variety of sources spring to mind; the lyrics of political rapper immortal technique, the zeitgeist films and my shockingly radical results on the political compass test which made me google ‘anarcho syndicalism’. All these are different and range in their political position. Immortal Technique is a ruthless whistleblower on the American Governments past and present. The Zeitgeist films, which some Freedom readers might be familiar with, propose the over throwing of capitalism through revolution, though the details of the process and alternative are dealt with sketchily to say the least. Whilst the political compass test obviously has flaws, it is the only one that led me to an openly anarchist source. Nonetheless, all of these inspired me in different ways. I remember having proudly, yet secretly, writing ‘fuck the system’ in biro on my hand every day for a couple of weeks. This is obviously cliché, but I, like everyone, had to start somewhere (which is of course a cliché statement). The things I have mentioned so far have been relatively recent, and I will not pretend I have progressed in my journey massively since then. However, I am content with my current location in the long, meandering tunnel, which seems to have a light at the end. This light, which currently appears to be coming from stars of the red and black variety, that flickers at times, and shines blindingly bright at others. My political life currently revolves around the forums at libcom.org and my A level politics class at school. As of yet, I have only been to one demonstration, the June 30th marches and protests. Many teachers from my school, including some that taught me, did not come into school that day, although I am sure none of them were out on the streets of London, with their comrades getting harassed with so called pre-emptive arrest for having a change of clothes on them which all of a sudden turns into being a crime if your spotted ‘hi jacking’ a march wearing black and waving a flag . I have not read all the theoretical books from the classic greats; Bakunin, Rocker, Kropotkin, the founder of this publication, and other writers. But I like to think I have a tentative, basic understanding so far, currently defining myself as an anarcho communist. How has coming into anarchism been so far in my experience? So far, positive, albeit not perfect, but then, what is?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Sep 14 2011 09:22

Yeah, that looks good! And interesting.

In terms of have people had stuff published there, yes. Myself, Tommy Ascaso and Rob Ray used to edit freedom a few years ago. Jim and I eventually dropped it to focus on libcom, which we found we got a lot more reward for a lot less effort and cost!

Croy's picture
Croy
Sep 16 2011 08:34

Here's what I ended up sending. I changed it a little, I think I waffled and didn't come onto what it was like coming into anarchism enough, which is what it was meant to be about.

I don’t know when I first came across anarchism to be honest. My memory of coming across anarchism is scattered. Many sources spring to mind; the lyrics of Immortal Technique, the Zeitgeist films and my results on the political compass test which made me Google ‘anarcho syndicalism’. I also remember writing ‘fuck the system’ on my hand and wearing a Che Guevara (Stalinist turned pop art icon) tee shirt I still guiltily have to this day. But I, like everyone, had to start somewhere.
I will not pretend I have progressed far in my journey since, well, I don’t know when. However, I am content with my current location in this long tunnel, which seems to have a light at the end. This light, emanating from red and black stars, that flickers at times, but shines very brightly at others. My political life currently revolves around the forums at libcom.org and my A level politics class at school. As of yet, I have only been to one demonstration, the June 30th marches and protests. I am yet to read all the classics; Bakunin, Rocker, Kropotkin, the founder of this publication, and know all of the Marxist jargon. I like to think I have some understanding so far of the nature of capitalism and the nature of the alternative we propose to it, which is apparently enough to make me now consider calling someone a Trotskyite or a Leninist, a feared insult. The journey has had its ups and downs, both emotionally and intellectually.
Intellectually, anarchism can liberate you and change your whole world view. Anarchism has been a fascinating epiphany, a revelation. I hope others have experienced the same thing, because it feels really good. Emotionally, it’s a double edged sword. If I wanted to, I could easily say that I don’t like something about anything most people take as a norm, which I often find myself doing whilst in a bad mood. Casual passing comments made by friends can become a depressing reminder of the effectiveness of the brainwashing coming from the state. The media, perhaps the state’s favourite puppet, is everywhere, so it can be a constant and relentless source of torment. It becomes difficult to separate people from their politics, beliefs that they often don’t know they even have. Having such a fundamental disagreement in principal with what is now the norm of the whole world can give the impression that I am always depressed and hate everything. But at the best of times, I can be so passionate about how good things could be I can’t begin to explain it. So over all, my experiences coming from the outside in haven’t been perfect, but what is?

Standfield's picture
Standfield
Sep 16 2011 11:20

I've been looking to write some art essays for a while now, I'd like to see if I contribute if Freedom is thinking about running an art section. I've been writing a lot of ideas down in regards to the "art world" and also art techniques/styles since I've got into anarchism, it's given me a whole new perspective on things that have aided my work.

I'm not a great writer though, being slow at reading and writing, but if it's a monthly thing now I think it would give me enough time to contribute something. Whether it would be interesting or worthwhile or not is up to Freedom though!

And Croydon - that's great! I think it'll be beneficial for others just getting started in Anarchism, as they won't feel so alone in feeling like an amateur (not calling you an amateur, but you know what I mean). It could give Anarchism a less daunting introduction if you like. I think an arts topic could do that as well, showing that the theories extend into everyday life, having more appeal to a wider range of people.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Sep 16 2011 17:04

Standfield, we could potentially be interested in publishing that sort of stuff as a blog on libcom. You could send us a sample article over e-mail

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Oct 5 2011 10:07

Just to bump this, I was a bit apprehensive about this change. We talked about making freedom a monthly when I was editing it, but eventually I was talked out of it by people who were saying that it would be a step back, and we should really try to keep up the regularity.

However, just read the first monthly issue, and it's really good - by far the best I can remember. I would have liked to write a review for my blog but I'm off on holiday for a couple of weeks and so won't have time. So I can just say quickly that it is great, a really big improvement. I guess it's possible that for the first issue they saved up good copy but hopefully this is how it will continue as well.

I would recommend people taking out a sub to support them!