Irrelevance of bureaucrats evident at Merseyside anti-cuts march

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
thegonzokid's picture
thegonzokid
Offline
Joined: 23-07-09
Dec 12 2010 11:34
Irrelevance of bureaucrats evident at Merseyside anti-cuts march

SolFed report here red n black star

Auto's picture
Auto
Offline
Joined: 12-04-09
Dec 12 2010 11:46

I'm actually thinking a protest/action needs to be directed at the TUC itself. Their plan seems to be hang back, don't be radical, wait for dissaffection to morph into Labour votes.

It would be interesting to see if students would be up for a protest at TUC HQ, demanding action. Force the TUC into having to take an open position rather than just skulking around in the background.

thegonzokid's picture
thegonzokid
Offline
Joined: 23-07-09
Dec 12 2010 12:21

To be honest, I think the TUC are doing a great job demonstrating how shit centralised, hierarchical 'leadership' is. Our focus should be on promoting rank-and-file-led alternatives to reliance on bureaucrats who, as you pointed out, are basically the stooges of reformist politicians.

no1
Offline
Joined: 3-12-07
Dec 12 2010 14:41

... and that's why we need a revolutionary union.

(half joking)

thegonzokid's picture
thegonzokid
Offline
Joined: 23-07-09
Dec 12 2010 19:42
no1 wrote:
... and that's why we need a revolutionary union.

Innit wink

Incidentally, we've got a new member in our ranks thanks to being on that demo, handing out our literature and actually talking to people rather than just peddling shite Trot newspapers. Which just goes to show that marching isn't a total waste of time.

no1
Offline
Joined: 3-12-07
Dec 12 2010 20:23
thegonzokid wrote:
Incidentally, we've got a new member in our ranks thanks to being on that demo, handing out our literature and actually talking to people rather than just peddling shite Trot newspapers. Which just goes to show that marching isn't a total waste of time.

excellent! I'm sure it's got to do with you being a really active local as well, not just the march.

thegonzokid's picture
thegonzokid
Offline
Joined: 23-07-09
Dec 13 2010 23:12
no1 wrote:
thegonzokid wrote:
Incidentally, we've got a new member in our ranks thanks to being on that demo, handing out our literature and actually talking to people rather than just peddling shite Trot newspapers. Which just goes to show that marching isn't a total waste of time.

excellent! I'm sure it's got to do with you being a really active local as well, not just the march.

Yeah I hope so! We've deffo been putting a lot of effort into spreading the anarcho-syndicalist message and making it accessible and relevant to the working class. red n black star

Auto's picture
Auto
Offline
Joined: 12-04-09
Dec 13 2010 23:35

I didn't really make myself clear. I'm not saying the TUC is needed for any social movement - it's a complete waste of space as far as I can see - yet for better or worse it's the focus of unionised workers in this country.

I wasn't trying to imply we need the TUC to do anything. Yet promoting grassroots alternatives surely means highlighting the TUC's lack of action in the first place?

But then it was just an off-the-cuff idea.

thegonzokid's picture
thegonzokid
Offline
Joined: 23-07-09
Dec 14 2010 00:18
Auto wrote:
I wasn't trying to imply we need the TUC to do anything. Yet promoting grassroots alternatives surely means highlighting the TUC's lack of action in the first place?

Yeah you're right. Here is an article about the TUC on our Local's website if you want to use any of it.