Occupation at Goldsmiths

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous
Nov 4 2010 00:09
Occupation at Goldsmiths

Students at Goldsmiths have occupied Deptford Town Hall, the senior management offices for the university. The occupation has been led by the SWP who have agreed with security guards that only students should be allowed to enter the building and no booze should be allowed in. They have said that the occupatio will only be for 24 hours, ending at 2pm tomorrow. Some participants are calling for it to be extended. Most of the anarchists are getting pissed and listening to music on the roof which is where I am right now, and the red and black flag is flying on the flag pole.

Caiman del Barrio
Nov 4 2010 00:21

Did of the the arists formerly known as A&S show their embarassed, pretentious faces?

Jason Cortez
Nov 4 2010 00:38

Was featured on BBC News at Ten, no less. Impressive media connections. Lets hope they extend until the tenth.

Jason Cortez
Nov 4 2010 00:47

No wonder the leadership did not want alcohol to be available, students just can't hold they drink.

Jason Cortez
Nov 4 2010 00:58

I remember that officially the last occupation was a booze free zone but it couldn't be enforced.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Nov 4 2010 01:18

at the Sussex Arts A2 occupation there was plenty of booze, but we organised collective cleaning rotas and left the place spotless. Prefiguing libertarian communism right there.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Nov 4 2010 09:27
Tommy Ascaso wrote:
Maybe. wink

Just after I wrote that post some glass was broken on the roof that fell into the atrium, no idea who did it as there were about 30-40 people there but it looked like a pissed up accident. The trots then ran to the roof, shut the music off and told everyone to either leave or head downstairs, which most of us did. On reaching the exit a security guard decided he would try to detain everyone, only to get rushed.

So did you just leave the roof or leave the building altogether.

Boris Badenov
Nov 4 2010 13:47

I fucking love it when students totally occupy everything. A bit like these lads if you think about it:

Caiman del Barrio
Nov 4 2010 18:14
Jason Cortez wrote:
I remember that officially the last occupation was a booze free zone but it couldn't be enforced.

No it wasn't! A Trot tried to enforce it and it failed completely. Unfortunately, some wankers took advantage to trash the building a little bit and then the Warden paid for the damage out of his own pocket. Someone also forgot to take down the red and black flag when we left and he kept it in his drawer, waiting for Tacks to go find it. I think his whole vibe was that this would totally increase the rep of Goldsmiths as a liberal trendy shitehole.

The security guards were actually much sounder than the Trots last time.

Jason Cortez
Nov 4 2010 19:43
Quote:
No it wasn't! A Trot tried to enforce it and it failed completely.

you

Quote:

Me

See the similarity. Still I am sure you mean at a general assembley of the occupation.

Caiman del Barrio
Nov 4 2010 20:33

Actually, i think it was a drug free zone, but we broke that too. They broke up the party after the Goldsmiths wankers trashed the gaff, but we carried on drinking clandestinely and misquoting Emma Goldman like the OGs we are.

Fuckin pantomine of an occupation that was, at least this one has a proper aim. We attempted to insert something similar about fees into the demands of the last one but got voted down, with one student furiously declaring, "I identify with being an Arab, not a fucking student!"