Protests in Ukraine

Submitted by jonthom on December 2, 2013

So, yeah. Things seem to be happening:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Ukraine_pro-European_Union_protests

The 2013 Ukraine pro-European Union protests or EuroMaidan[27] (Ukrainian: Євромайдан)[28] protests in Ukraine began on the night of 21 November, 2013, when Ukrainian citizens started spontaneous protests in the capital of Kiev. On the previous day, on 21 November 2013, the Ukrainian government suspended preparations for signing an Association Agreement and Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Agreement with the European Union.[29] The protests are ongoing despite a heavy police presence, and an increasing number of university students are joining the protests.[30][31][32][33] Law enforcement agencies, namely Berkut (a special unit of the Ministry of Internal Affairs), violently and without provocation attacked peacefully protesting students and journalists in the early morning of 30 November.[34][35] The escalating violence from government forces has caused the level of protests to rise, with 350-700,000 protesters demonstrating in Kiev at the movement's peak on December 1.[15]

On December 1, Kiev District Administrative Court banned further protests in downtown Kyiv on both Independence Square and European Square, as well as in front of the Presidential Administration and Interior Ministry buildings, until 7 January 2014.[79] Opposition forces planned the rally on the 1st to take place at St. Michael's Square, which is not among the banned rally locations, with a march towards Independence Square.[80] During the December 1 rally, protesters followed through and defied the ban and marched form St. Michael's Square to re-take Independence Square. Protesters broke several windows in the city council building, followed by crowds spilling out of Independence Square to the Administration of President building at Bankova Street and the Cabinet building (Hrushevsky Street). People chanted "Out with the thugs" and sang the Ukrainian anthem. The opposition party Batkivshchyna claimed as much as 500,000 protesters turned out for the rallies, and opposition leader Petro Poroshenko claimed 350,000 were on Independence Square. Other news agencies reported over 100,000 in Independence Square alone.[81] Other reports indicated 300,000 to 700,000 demonstrators.[15]

At around 14:00, a group of protesters commandeered a bulldozer from Independence Square and attempted to pull down the fence surrounding the Presidential Administration building.[26] People threw bricks at Berkut guards. At least three people were injured outside of the presidential administration building, receiving head injuries from flying debris. AFP reporters saw security forces outside the Presidential Administration building fire dozens of stun grenades and smoke bombs at masked demonstrators who were pelting police with stones and Molotov cocktails.[26]

Footage from yesterday:

[youtube]8X-uzeyi-LQ[/youtube]

Generally this seems to be presented as a conflict between pro-Russia (largely conservative) and pro-EU (largely liberal) factions.

Some commentary (though can't vouch for its accuracy): Who is behind the Ukrainian protest? A letter from Lviv

S2W

9 years 8 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by S2W on July 5, 2014

subprole

Even if this would be true it would be totally i r r e l e v a n t because Majdan was n o t an anti-austerity protest or general strike movement like in Greece with (mostly) working class composition but a neoliberal coup with an petite bourgeois opposition "progressive" as in Venezuela - and ironically intensifying the neoliberal project. Anarchists in Greece and probably almost anywhere else would under n o circumstances participate in reactionary "movements" like EU-Majdan where left-nationalists of AWU were parasiting among liberal democrats, neonazis etc.. As your previous comments clearly demonstrate you consciously try to manipulate the discussion by obfuscating the total difference between the concrete situations and movements in general. You are an idiotic fucking comedian and constantly repeating the same bullshit in robotic manner. Continue your monologue somewhere else or write another petion to the European parliament as the AWU arselickers did. Σκατά στα μουτρα σου!

[/quote]

This definitely one of the rudest apologies for writing bullshit claims I have ever read, but I accept it :D. Just do not write bullshit again, and I am fine with you.

Situation in Greece differs a lot from Ukraine, but Venezuela differs a lot from Ukraine as well. It is not me who tried to make these parallels, it was you.

But all things different, there is also a possibility that anti-austerity protests in Greece may turn to a certain nationalist direction which is already happening to some extent with all the "anti-troika" rhetorics, and eventually developments in Greece might be as unfortunate as they are in Ukraine.

If that happens, there will of course be many "subproles" shitting on those Greek anarchists who have attempted to make interventions to anti-austerity protests in libcom, and all over internet. I will not be one of them.

subprole

9 years 8 months ago

Submitted by subprole on July 6, 2014

Just do not write bullshit again, and I am fine with you.

I wipe my ass with your feelings.

It is not me who tried to make these parallels, it was you.

I did not draw parallels but insisted on the d i f f e r e n c e s. This is totalitarian absurdity. S2W could learn from propaganda minister Goebbels.

I would be shitting on you instead S2W.

S2W

9 years 8 months ago

subprole

I did not draw parallels but insisted on the d i f f e r e n c e s. This is totalitarian absurdity. S2W could learn from propaganda minister Goebbles.

You insisted on differences between anarchist strategies (which, as it turned out, were false, and you admitted it), by driving on parallels between countries and their situations.

If there is no parallel between situations, there may not be differences between strategies.

S2W

9 years 8 months ago

Repressions against Crimean activists: political context

http://libcom.org/news/repressions-against-crimean-activists-political-context-06072014

subprole

9 years 8 months ago

Submitted by subprole on July 5, 2014

A musical contribution to the debate on Ukraine (personal dedication goes to AWU comrades). :D

[youtube]ZkPPTJAJzXc[/youtube]

Spikymike

9 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Spikymike on July 6, 2014

Nationalist ideology is rampant throughout the world and remains a part of most radical and leftist politics even when many of those involved honestly believe themselves to have rejected it ,so it is hardly suprising that in the current testing conditions of Ukraine this is also still the case - and that vestiges of such as appear to muddle the politics of some anarchists and anarchist groups both there and in other parts of Eastern Europe must be criticised when they appear here. I think there has been some valid criticism on those lines from internationalist posters here which is no less valid because it is made from comrades outside of the Ukraine, but 'subprole' seems to be determined on this and another thread to reduced some sensible critique ( even including some of his own!) to a simple bun fight with others such as STW who's confused ideas (including possibly some other non-committed on-line viewers) , are not benefiting from such an approach. Real 'punch-ups' are sometimes a way of working out anger and frustration at apparent dumb-ass ideas but they don't work in on-line discussions such as this.

subprole

9 years 8 months ago

Submitted by subprole on July 8, 2014

S2W wrote:

http://libcom.org/news/repressions-against-crimean-activists-political-context-06072014

The passages related to the explanation of the "political context" as well as the introducing remarks on the situation in Crimea are democratic garbage that could have also been published by Yulia Tymoshenko or the US embassy in Kiev and contain - as we could expect of course from an AWU parrot like >S2W/Antti Rautiainen< - more subtle pro-Ukranian nationalist state propaganda.

anarchistsolidarity

9 years 8 months ago

Submitted by anarchistsolidarity on July 8, 2014

You, subprole, are a first class example of a complete fucking idiot.

subprole

9 years 8 months ago

Submitted by subprole on July 8, 2014

You, subprole, are a first class example of a complete fucking idiot.

I won't waste time discussing with any infantile shrunken heads stuttering pathetic rubbish like you, solidarity.

anarchistsolidarity

9 years 8 months ago

Submitted by anarchistsolidarity on July 8, 2014

Great, then perhaps this thread can get back on it's track :)

jolasmo

9 years 8 months ago

Submitted by jolasmo on July 9, 2014

It would be amazing if there was a thread on libcom to discuss the situation in Ukraine. I feel like it would really help me make sense of the increasingly chaotic situation there. It's a shame that instead I get pages and pages of this namecalling, cockwaving bullshit about some things some Ukrainian anarchists wrote ok the internet. Ah well.

~J.

Foristaruso

9 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Foristaruso on July 10, 2014

The very big difference between "Indignados" and "Occupy", from one side, and Euronaidan, from the other, was the fully absence of any social demands or slogans in the second case. It was a "pro-Europa" movement orhanized by oppositional bourgeois parties or young groups. And the "anarchist" barricade here was msde jointly with new rightists "anarcho"-nazis from "Autonomous Resistance"

Foristaruso

9 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Foristaruso on July 10, 2014

Something from the "political experience" of AWU founder and leader Zadiraka. This article was published in a prominent anarchist bulletin "An-Press" of St/Petersbourg in 1995:

"О. SOFYANIK (Fraction of Revolutionary Anarchists of Democratic Union, Sevastopol) wrote: February 3rd (1995) a police detachment visited me in my home; it detained me and led me at first to the police station (ROVD) Nakhimovskoye of Sevastopol and later to Urban administration of Inner Affairs (GOVD), directly to it boss, Lieutenant General Beloborodov. I was interrogated about my contacts with other anarchist organizations and anarchist individuals of Crimea, Ukraine and Russia. They had an especial interest in concrete means of our activity, concretely: do you recognize an armed terror? As it turned out, the police taped a letter of Kiev anarchist Zadiraka addressed to me. He sent to me in this letter a leaflet issued not long ago by his group. It called to immediate revolutionary actions, armed struggle etc., and it was signed by “Kiev organization of Red Army Fraction (RAF)” and by “Sea Terror Section of Irish Republican Army (IRA)”. They are joking in Kiev, and I was brought in the GOVD for it! (Besides, “the order keepers” asked also, if I receive a very dangerous and subversive review “The Black Star” and if I know somebody of it receiver in Sevastopol). Of course, I rejected all things saying “I didn`t know, I didn`t see, I wasn`t here etc” and that I`m pacifist. But all in all, the Kiev friends need to think before to use and moreover to appropriate such loud names (moreover, in last time, there are in Crimea a lot of gangster clashes with several powerful bomb explosions)"

(“AN-Press”, 1995, No.53, January – February)

S2W

9 years 8 months ago

Submitted by S2W on July 12, 2014

subprole

S2W wrote:

The passages related to the explanation of the "political context" as well as the introducing remarks on the situation in Crimea are democratic garbage that could have also been published by Yulia Tymoshenko or the US embassy in Kiev and contain - as we could expect of course from an AWU parrot like >S2W/Antti Rautiainen< - more subtle pro-Ukranian nationalist state propaganda.

Hey, you haven't posted any Stalinist songs for a while. Keep fighting imperialism on libcom forum and give us some more!

subprole

9 years 8 months ago

Submitted by subprole on July 12, 2014

http://aruthlesscritiqueagainsteverythingexisting1.wordpress.com/2014/07/11/songs-of-the-black-sea/

Songs of the Black Sea

What can be said about what is happening in Ukraine? We can stretch the events or squeeze them into our preexisting ideological context? Or the contradictory form of riots in Ukraine requires us to look back to the events to redefine our analyzes, and anyways to see why these people are getting killed. The conflict in Ukraine becomes more polarized. The scene of the conflict has moved to the east of the country, mainly in the areas of Kharkiv, Donetsk and Dnipropetrofsk.The conflict seems to be divided on the basis of national identity, ethnic and linguistic differences, etc. And indeed the separation has taken such features but obviously these are not the cause. The causes lie in the same contradictions of Ukrainian society as a totality, ie the state, the bourgeois society, the composition of capital in that society etc. The fact that the conflict has moved to the east is not accidental.

Initially, as many have emphasized the Ukrainian case must be understood as to the particular form that has gotten in the specific historical context of state-oligarchic state. In Ukraine, after the dissolution of the Soviet Union, the local officials of the party had the opportunity to accumulate wealth vastly, and to gain control of key sectors of the Ukrainian economy and society. Since then the political scene in Ukraine became a huge stage of competition between the different “factions” of oligarchs, who were developing between them a complex web of competition and cooperation, while many politicians, such as Yanukovych became oligarchs after being involved in politics. This easily answers the question “why” things are the way they are in politics of Ukraine, etc etc. But this leads us to another question/answer which is obvious but crucial as well. The Ukrainian state could not function as a general capitalist, and especially on the most important function and task that needs to be done: to carry out “smoothly” the centralization / restructuring of capitalis social relations. The economy of the country was divided into entrepreneurs were in furious competition with each other, with business cycles which belong to different regions of the world economy, and with different capital composition. On them can be seen the first marks towards the crisis of the Ukrainian state. But a state exists only according and in relation to its society. And here arises a question that no one wants to answer: Why proletarians and other people are out on the street? If all this is just the conflict between mainstream business circles of Ukraine, which constitute about 85% of GDP, why the conflict does not take the form as previously was, ie competition for influence in the government? So there must be something more than just businessmen men fighting to each other.

The Ukrainian capitalist society exhibited some special characteristics with the passage of time. The “oligarchic” state and its economy were closed. International investments were few and European capital struggled to get into a market that the state was “not neutral”. Mainly for Yanukovich regime (from 2010 onwards) the centralization of capital in Ukraine got very aggressive forms, with a policy that clearly favored the strongest oligarchs, and literally left no space to operate and compete with them, this goes for both EU firms and smaller Ukrainian firms. It was the opportunity he found the strongest part of the Ukrainian capital to strengthen its position in the midst of crisis (such as’ it happens in every country). Even the few European companies operating in the Ukrainian territory, seems to face the hostility of the state. Therefore the first who would like to react to this situation was the potential of small entrepreneurs, self employed, students, etc. This shows us why initially the Maidan had such a strong feature of inter-class character, claims against corruption, and the intense pro-EU character. The EU – as we have said before- was conceived in Maidan as “rationalization” of the capitalist competition and the state, to leave room for the little capital to operate. Follows that along with them many unemployed in the western regions [1], low-income workers and students were in the protests with an extreme democratic, pro european character. Essentially calling to reset, or to build a “healthy capitalism”, which would allow them to function as capitalist subjects and find the fulfillment of their social relations as a working class(they asked of “work” but in a way of “investment” of a healthy-all for all- capitalism),together with them, there were the small capitalists who were asking for “space” to invest. So these to subjects came together as capitalist subjects but against the general way capitalism was developing in Ukraine-this was their central controversy that gave them such a power but also was limiting them from developing to a proletarian movement. Therein lies the deep democratic / liberal character of Maidan who does not ask anything different from the other squares of the world. It was a citizens’ movement, found in the square as an abstract community (citizens), who were calling the state to restore the democratic promise of “control on our own life”, equal opportunities for all etc etc, ie restore the “ideal” form of bourgeois roles. Therefore the core of Maidan was the capitalist crisis as experienced by bourgeois subjects in the Ukrainian-version of capitalism, so that was a fetishized version anticapitalism, a claim of bourgeois subjects against the dynamics of the Ukrainian capitalism. But these contradictions took the historical shapes that gave them the Ukrainian context. And here is the important thing.

As we have said, the nationalistic character of the squares movement, or their democratic character translates differently the same crisis, the same reaction to the dynamics of modern capital. But the particular circumstances of Ukraine, the internal conflict in the country of different regions of accumulation, and therefore the complete inability of the Ukrainian state to act as general capitalist played a key role. The movement of the Maidan was a movement of the capitalist crisis but simultaneously tried to solve the contradiction of the Ukrainian state, which had been exacerbated by the capitalist crisis. The state was unable to continue to perform its role as a key mediator of the centralization of capital accumulation. Moreover, the industrial production in Ukraine is concentrated mainly in three areas in the east, Donetsk, the Dnipropetrofsk, and Lugansk regions.The higher wages appear to be there, while overall the eastern Ukraine appears “richer” than the western, with factories mainly on metallurgy, aerospace technologies, etc. and relatively less unemployment. These industrial units are involved primarily in the Russian economy, and their owners are the main supporters of Yanukovich and other pro-Russian politicians. Based on these data, it seems reasonable about why the Maidan translated the capital contradiction on national(istic) terms rather than on terms of (direct) democracy: The state itself had such “colourizing” as there were fierce competition from different regions of capital (or potentially capital). Therefore we can say that the Maidan was the expression of a broader crisis that has existed for years in Ukraine, and this was the crisis of the Ukrainian state as a general capitalist, which was accelerated by the international capitalist crisis , and brought the Ukrainian state to a point of no return about is obligations that were impossible to be carried out because of the contradictory nature of state-society relations. Based on the above, it is no coincidence that the rebellion started from the West to the East, the fact that the eastern provinces strongly resist new government of Kiev, and that the rebellion took the form of Maidan national emancipation, and on this basis proletarians together with trying to solve the contradictions of the Ukrainian state. [2]. In summary, therefore the Maidan and the entire rebellion was a rebellion against the crisis, it was fear of bourgeois subjects which come in conflict with the broader dynamic of capitalism, with the particular form it took the current moment in Ukraine, that was the contradiction between the state as general capitalist and the centralization of capital in two different regions within the same state. This was experienced by a large proportion of Ukrainians as a crisis of the bourgeois subject of citizenship, ie crisis which appears in more and more countries between the open-democratic state and the necessary devaluation of labour by the same state. This shows us that the Maidan is no different in content from the other squares in the world, but it is different in form. This content was expressed differently because it was formed under different conditions, and other effects of class struggle.

The “movement” of the Anti-Maidan and the Maidan of Kharkov

The pro-Russian movement in the east of the country has come to be called anti-Maidan. I will not talk here about the form that this “movement” “has gotten in the provinces of Dnipropetrofsk, Donetsk or before in Crimea, but for the most social and political version of Kharkiv. In Kharkov, until recently there was the last running Maidanin country, which unlike Kiev never actively was associated with the right sector or Svoboda. After the fall of Yanukovych continued mainly in the form of popular democratic assemblies, and when the war fever started to rise in the country, it took an antiwar character. This does not mean that it has lost its liberal nature, or that the main content is very different from the Maidan in Kiev, but that the form and the activity of the region makes it more easily understood through the particular-most familiar to us – forms it took. The Maidan of Kharkov not openly support the new government, but has anti-war-and-pro-European character. Against this there is the popular pro-Russian movement of Anti-Maidan. Especially after the events of April 13, 2014 [3] it became evident that the Ukrainian state can not manage the situation while the protesters of antiMaintan showed themselves willing to defend the claim of federalization of Ukraine, by any means. The question thus arises as themselves the proletarians put it: in which part of the capitalist periphery they will be in?. And this is key topic, because such as a choice for them is crucial. If Ukraine joins the Western region, the eastern regions of Ukraine will suffer irreparable damage both in relation to their exports to Russia, which is the main customer of the factories of the East, as well as to the ownership status of several companies as formed so far in Ukraine. It will also change the capital composition. This will lead these businesses to by closed by antagonism and thus many unemployed. On the other hand, the connection with the EU on this part of Ukraine which was experiencing the devaluation of their labour power so far, the strong competition, and their inability of effective capitalist competition and the general inability to enter the society with satisfying conditions, while the “Ukrainian capitalism” posits different options, despite the hopes they had for an upgrade of their social status in the context of their “dream” about a “better capitalism”, their choice will mean repeating a case such as Bulgaria, ie the total dissolution of the economy as it was before, to facilitate foreign investment, integration of proletarians to capital relation as an extreme undervalued workforce, and perhaps a few opportunities for some, young, ambitious, competitors of the old “Soviet” capital. This does not mean that the “Eastern option” is better than the European. The issue as said above should be seen within the dialectic of crisis as a failure of the Ukrainian state to manage the centralization of capital between two regions of capital accumulation. Both sides want to do the same, to integrate Ukraine into a single region. The instruments used for this can not be predicted but the important feature is that this movement is produced by the bottom: proletarians of both sides defend their capital against the scrapping down by the overall dynamics of capitalism, for continuing to reproduce themselves as proletarians, cause they know that a proletarian without a capital is nothing. This is the common core shared by both movements, but what are the limitations of these practices remains to be seen. [4]

Apparently the Maidan as limit had the very essence of it, the abstract relations of social subljects. On the other hand, the Maidan Kharkov is not simply different from that of Kiev, but is the evolution of Maidan, without being the overcome its content, however, it has not found as limit the politicization of the movement, ie the raising of a new government or the critisim of the state and government from a democratic perspective, but found it’s limit at the anti-war project and in the most social demands. Nevertheless this difference, as may important as it is, should not be exaggerated: Social practices grasp their meaning socially. That means, that the meaning of a social practise is what these practises are doing socially, what is the process they spark in a social level, and what is their main relation according to the central social relation which is capital relation.That means that probably these people of Kharkov Maidan/and their opponents of antiMaidan, both have the best intentions and they both want the best for their lives, and probably they both hate their poverty but the social practices that they are involved to as they exist with the contradictions of the Ukrainian capitalist society as it is, are a part of a wider capitalistic dynamic that is not under their own control, that means that their practices are not in any way against the status quo, but merely a change of the capital form. This doesent mean that this practises, bouth of Maidan or antiMaidan have no perspective t evolve, but as they are now, they are fetishized social conflicts that stay within their fetish forms.

Footnotes

[1] During the crisis, the centralization of capital gets specific characteristics in each social formation(country), depending on the course of the class there .In this process the most strong capitals compete more and more and they assimilate the smaller, and eventually find their place into the global regionalization of capitals. During the government of Yanukovych, this centralization of capital got very aggressive characteristics, through laws, deliberate absence of controls ansd inspections in various business and fierce control and inspections on other buissnesses, etc. this left no space to emergence of other capitals. Beyond this, the abstract relations, and the dynamics of capital that spawned the Maidan, show us why it was politicized, but also why such a large percentage of the people outside Kiev went to demonstrations, and why they were created extensive networks of “supply” with tires, food, etc., from the west of the country to the square. Also to mention that unemployment in western Ukraine is markedly greater than the east. Unlike the existence of fascist Square had two directions: On the one hand there was the tolerance of them under the “national idea” and national translation of reaction to capitalist crisis, and the tolerance of the world to them in the context of militarization-they were seen as “muscle”.On the other hand, the completely different social relations that got the far right to the streets, especially the right sector, could unite the far right on the square with the rest of the people, only in the context of abstract social relations. The right-wing went to the streets because of their chronic exclusion from the security forces, as the oligarchic characteristic permeated the whole state organization, and reached to it’s core, the police. The Yanukovich recruited policemen almost exclusively from the eastern provinces, and had for long ruled-out the Ukrainian far right, and various paramilitary organizations that were on the periphery of the army and police. These features provided fromed the Maidan, and brought the fascists to be comfortable and well tolerated in the square,but they found as a limit the “inner wall” that has every square movement, the abstract relations of coexistence of all subjects within the squares, the weakness to reach the reconstruction of specific social relations, ie the capital/working relations.

[2] It is important to see what is provided and what impact would have the signing of the pact with EU. The inability to sell the Ukrainian agricultural and industrial products in Ukraine, but also in Russia, as the result of European higher agricoltural production subsidies but also because of the most modernized industrial capital of Europe which is more competitive if border taxes were to be abolished with the EU signing. One of the key problems of Ukrainian industry in the east remains the inability of radical renewal of industrial constant capital, which remains generally of old technology. The pact with the EU also provided the restructuring of the legal code of Ukraine as to the ownership status of the business. This will radically upset the data of 20 years of ownership status, as grand capital of the East can be under the review process of the ownership status etc. Precisely because of his inability to radically modernize the Ukrainian capital of the east part of the ukrainian capital, was used to use as a vector centralizing force the state(by friendly goverments), and not the direct market competition. In this context and as a part of the Ukrainian economy acquires closer relations with the West, it is no coincidence that the contradiction of the Ukrainian state was tried to be solved back to the past in a similar way, with the creation of a “South-Ukrainian Autonomous Republic” proposal by oligarchs in 2005, a proposal which had faltered. This then had the meaning of the relative autonomy of these areas from the policy of Kiev and the relative resolution of the contradiction of the Ukrainian state. Similar situation with today ie, proposing a form of federalism of eastern Ukraine

[3] On April 13, 2014 while taking place a protestof Maidan in Kharkov against the military operations against Russia, it seems to be called protest at the same point of right-wing hooligans, which caused widespread clashes between pro-Russian demonstrators of AntiMaintan, and Maidan. On April 13, while the orientation of events throughout Ukraine had changed from support or not in the new government, to the persistence or not of eastern Ukraine in the country, and the possibility of military intervention in Russia in the east, the Ultras of city ​​called to protest (along with the local Maidan, which was very similar theme, albeit more antiwar features) for the “unity of Ukraine” (and the events of Odessa, the Ukrainian protest had similar content). That day showed the reactive characteristics antiMaintan, and on the other hand, showed the complete failure which has reached the Maidan policy and the tactic of local anarchists in it. Even if they had collided with the fascists on 19 February, and the local Maidan had distanced himself from them at that time-in April 13- the turn of events in the whole Ukraine, and the marches for or against federalisation in the city of Kharkov , broughtthe Maidan and the Ultras ad hoc on the same side of the conflict and no matter what everyone claimed about their intensions and specific political views, although if they were against the war, or in favor or against a seperatist movement or simply a federalization, the conflict as was produced historically at this moment was whether to stay or not in Ukraine, whether to join in one or the other region of accumulation, and this conflict was taking the final characteristics of national conflict. For information about that here

[4] In this sense the movement of the Maidan and AntiMaintan should be seen as aspects of the same process as a reaction of urban subjects in the general dynamics of capital at this moment. Both sides claim the existence of capitals that the regionalization as centralization of capital threatens. The contradiction of the Ukrainian state as to the role of the controversial way in which functioned all these years the capitalist economy in Ukraine, and the relation of state-society had taken the form of oligarchic state, makes the reaction of urban subjects acquire so strongly features and characteristics of “civil strife” and to not take the form they took in other countries. In other countries we had not the separation of proletarians at full undervalued areas and relatively revalued, within a complex matrix of social relations-the oligarchic state and the two regions of capitalist centralization/accumulation-in conditions that absolutely exclude each others function. Neither in Arab countries mainly or in European countries have such a phenomenon.

S2W

9 years 8 months ago

Submitted by S2W on July 16, 2014

subprole

S2W wrote:

Hey, you haven't posted any Stalinist songs for a while. Keep fighting imperialism on libcom forum and give us some more!

...says S2W/Antti Rautianen, the left liberal upstart and famous "social network" activist who is "tweeting" for democracy in Russia 24 hours per day.

I am very sorry for using social networks. It is much more revolutionary to post to libcom 24 hours per day to unmask cryptoanarchists and to commemorate past glory of the red army.

S2W

9 years 8 months ago

Submitted by S2W on July 16, 2014

subprole

http://aruthlesscritiqueagainsteverythingexisting1.wordpress.com/2014/07/11/songs-of-the-black-sea/

Songs of the Black Sea

This is not a bad text, but it has the same problem with as the previous text from the same blog. The line of division is not between the East and West but inside both, especially in the East where, according to opinion polls and opinions of my contacts there, only minority supports the separatists. So even if the analysis of the class composition of Maidan and differences between capitalism in the East and West is basically right here, the situation is more complex.

I have to take back my comment on the previous "ruthlesscritique" text being "nationalistic", as that is an exaggeration, however careless attribution of subjectivity for geographical entities easily accepts nationalistic reading of the material. I really hope people would be more careful here.

Based on these data, it seems reasonable about why the Maidan translated the capital contradiction on national(istic) terms rather than on terms of (direct) democracy: (or potentially capital).

I do not understand this. Maidan was just as much "democratic" protest as nationalistic one, but democratic in terms of liberal, nationalistic representative model.

Even if they had collided with the fascists on 19 February

This means "they had a fight with the fascists" as I guess collision might be the opposite as well, and it took place 19th of January, not 19th of February.

ocelot

9 years 8 months ago

Submitted by ocelot on July 17, 2014

Hmm. Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 crashes in Eastern Ukraine. Kiev govt. alleges same AA capability used to shoot down AN26 Ukrainian Airforce plane a couple of days ago to blame.

"They would say that wouldn't they". Nonetheless. Civilian plane down, 295 dead. Food for conflict hawks in Washington DC.

Guardian: Malaysia Airlines plane 'crashes in Ukraine' - live

Foristaruso

9 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Foristaruso on July 25, 2014

Ukraine - "Against social genocide"
July 24 in front of Ukraine parliament in Kiev, large rallies were held against the antisocial amendments to the budget for 2014. Trade unionists, civil society organizations, and ordinary people protested against the "social genocide", organized by the government and its patrons from Brussels. Participants of the rally raised banners: "Cut the oligarchs, not the people" and "Do not rob ordinary citizens." They demanded that the deputies did not accept the Government's proposed law 4308a amending the budget.
The bill, according to the chairman of the independent trade union "Solidarity Labor" Vitaly Makhinko, "significantly restricts the labor rights of Ukrainians and lead to further impoverishment of the people. Salaries in public sector are leave much to be desired yet , and owing to the novels of government, these workers will lose their the few social guarantees that they had »(http://laborunion.org.ua/?p=713). This union criticizes antisocial policies of government, which came to power on a wave of Maidan coup, and calls for a peaceful settlement of the situation in the East of Ukraine through negotiations between the warring parties.
In an atmosphere of widespread discontent, even many members of the right-wing parties stated they will refuse to vote for the controversial bill, and then Prime Minister Yatsenyuk announced his resignation, which has not yet been adopted.
Meanwhile, the actions in the framework of the campaign "Tariff Maidan" continue, which are directed against the increase in housing and communal utility tariffs. More and more people are in favor of the abolition of the new tariffs. The tariffs are already very high, but there is will be another massive price increase. In August, the Ukrainians will receive payment orders with the new cost of hot and cold water and sanitation.
July 24 protest action was held near Kiev underground station "Heroes of Dnepr". Activists handed out leaflets and invited to express their opinion on the price increases for utilities. There was a big line of people wishing to subscribe for the abolition of new tariffs. "With each passing day, more and more people are protesting against the increase of tariffs. Sharp drop in incomes, insecurity: on this background, the increase of prices of communal services almost twice causes a substantial impact on the family budget," - said one of the activists (http://laborunion . org.ua /? p = 721)
Before this, July 21, the campaign activists collected signatures against the tariff increase near the metro station "Lesnaya". The protesters handed out leaflets with information which services and how to rise in the near future (http://laborunion.org.ua/?p=708). July 17, a similar protest was held near the metro station "Chernigovskaya" under the slogan "No tariff robbery". An "open mic" was organized for anyone who wanted to express their opinion on the tariff increases and other social issues. "The housing rent will make up a half of salary. But you have also to eat, and something to drive to work and to help sick parents. And what price id to prepare the kids to school!", Olga from Kiev said, signing against raising tariffs (http://laborunion.org.ua/?p=703). July 16, similar action was carried out at the metro station "Darnitsa" (http://laborunion.org.ua/?p=700), July 15, near the metro station "Levoberezhnaya" (http://laborunion.org.ua/? p = 694). Activists promised to continue to collect signatures in other areas of Kiev. Similar protests have passed near the metro station "Kharkovskaya", "Pozniaky" and "Osokorky".

Foristaruso

9 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Foristaruso on July 31, 2014

UKRAINE - PROYESTS AGAINST THE WAR!

In some regions of Western Ukraine, the riots emerged against the mobilization and war in the east of the country. There are reports about various protests primarily from Bukovina and Transcarpathia. Their participants clearly state that they don`t n want to die and to kill in the name of the interests of the oligarchy and the Kiev authorities.

Riots began to break out after the July 24 the Presidential Decree of Poroshenko came in force about the third wave of mobilization in the military forces of the country to continue the war in the Eastern regions.

The habitants of small village Voloka in the Chernivtsi region received 50 call-up papers to the army, which caused the anger of local residents. The video filmed on July 24 in this village is actively spreading in social networks. Villagers actively expressed their anger and resentment against the army mobilization of his fellow villagers for the war in the so-called "anti-terrorist operation" (ATO) in the East. Mothers, wives, daughters, sisters of recruits with tear in eyes require from the government of Ukraine to stop the ATO and the mobilization.

"We do not want war, we were not looking for war. Let them go fight those who actively yelling at the Maidan. We are one village, we are one family, and we will not let any of our fight!" - Says a young resident of the village.

"They begun - let themselves resolve. We will die but we will not give our children. They must understand it and don`t come here with their call-up papers", - the old woman said.

The military commissioner came to the villagers, and after the half-hour debate, it was decided to write a collective statement to the Governor and to the Parliament. A statement was signed by almost the entire village.

Military Commissioner of local recruiting office considers that the actions of the villagers are quite justified: "It is clear that no one wants to go to the zone of ATO where hostilities are. See how the authorities will react to the collective appeal of citizens" (http://www.dialog.ua / news / 10839_1406469968)

July 25 relatives of recruits blocked the road near of the Carpathian village Korovia. Their main demand was to end the mobilization, as well as to send to war not the common people, but the sons of authorities (http://lifenews.ru/news/137304)

In the city Novoselytsa of Chernivtsi region, during a rally against the mobilization there was a fight between protesters and a member of district council Ivan Popadyuk. Corresponding video appeared on the Internet, the protest was held outside the recruiting office demanding an end to the mobilization in the region. From the council member, who came out to the protesters, most people demanded to go to war.

"Go and fight," - cried the protesters to him. During the scuffle, women grabbed the council member on the hair, beat him with hands and rolled posters. Later, the police intervened and stopped the fight (http://polemika.com.ua/news-150925.html)

Partial mobilization was suspended in Mukachevo (Transcarpathian region). Mukachevo military commissar, Colonel Alexander Moszkowski declared about it in his address to his countrymen. According to him, representatives of the military office, city authorities and the public have come to a compromise on the problems of partial mobilization in Transcarpathia. Military Commissioner assured that nobody was and will be sent in the zone of ATO in the near future. Moreover, according to the Commissioner, during the third wave of mobilization none of Mukachevo habitants was drafted into the Ukrainian army.

Note that in Mukachevo there were mass protests against the mobilization. In particular, the residents of Transcarpathia blocked the road with the requirement not to send their sons and husbands in the area of ATO (http://polemika.com.ua/news-150910.html)

Source - http://www.aitrus.info/node/3875

Foristaruso

9 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Foristaruso on August 19, 2014

PATRIOTIC PSEUDO-"ANARCHIST" FROM KIEV HAS A SINGLE HOPE: NATO`S AID
Frank writings of AWU leader Zadiraka

"... NATO could provide tanks, helicopters and battleplanes to more Russians return to home... The NATO countries, for example USA and Britain, should organize supplies of good useful weapon as in the lend-lease time... (It is necessary) to defend the peace in Europe. The more Russian "loads 200" (the coded notation of transports with dead bodies of soldiers in the Russian army, - transl.), the more lasting peace in Europe... Isn`t Russian Federation the threat to peace in Europe?... This method worked good before 1945. The more Russian mercenaries and soldiers of invasion army will be killed, the more quick Russia will became conscious. They in Russia like to be killed... For the world, it would be better without Russia... After the war, there will no longer be either Russian Federation or Ukraine. Feel sorry for Ukraine and Russia, but it is obviously the only way to save the world from Russian fascist idiotism... It is no Ukraine who begun this war -- it was Russia who wanted "to save himself from NATO bases"... The peace-makers vultures who hypocritical "pity" the victim of aggression are more abominable than warmongers... There is no conflict between the East and the Center in Ukraine. It is for a long time already only the pure fascist intervention of Russia... There was a denazification (after the WW2, - transl.), and Russia is needed the same procedure... The only warmonger is Russia. If you want to stop it, you must kill the Scumbag (abusive designation for Putin, - transl.)" (https://www.facebook.com/volodimir.zadiraka/posts/766292013409541)

ocelot

9 years 5 months ago

Submitted by ocelot on October 24, 2014

Independent.ie: 'Darth Vader' goes to polls in Ukraine and wants to turn state into 'galactic empire'

Dressed in full Star Wars regalia, Darth Alekseyevich Vader prowls the streets of Kiev atop his black campaign van wooing voters with promises to turn Ukraine into a "galactic empire".
So serious is he about his mission that he even legally changed his name to Darth Vader ahead of the elections - he was previously known as Viktor Shevchenko.
The electrician insists his Internet Party is serious business.
Flanked by Stormtroopers and shrouded in white fumes, Vader explained that his top goal is to computerise all government business.
"When I get to parliament, I will expel all the deputies. They have proven their uselessness," he said. "Computers will work in their place and they will fulfil their functions without cease."
[...]

Reddebrek

9 years 5 months ago

Submitted by Reddebrek on October 25, 2014

Are those the same guys who raided tobacco shops they thought were fronts for drug dealers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPgr7D73uOg