Seattle Area Cop Killings

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
888's picture
Nov 30 2009 02:59
Seattle Area Cop Killings

Four police officers were shot dead today in a cafe in Lakewood, near Seattle.
http://www.thenewstribune.com/topstory/story/973573.html

This comes less than a month after the assassination of a police officer and arson attacks on police cars in Seattle itself, by a law student called Chris Montfort, now paralysed in hospital.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2010220077_webtukwila06m.html

As far as anyone knows the two shootings are not connected, but it's surprising that these incidents happened less than 30 days and 30 miles of each other...

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Nov 30 2009 12:23

Yes, bizarre, the second could have been inspired by the first perhaps. Did that Chris say why he did it? Was he just crazy?

One of the strangest things I ever read was a post on indymedia by someone who had just shot a cop, (off duty, at a petrol station IIRC) and the subsequent discussion (I can't find the link now)

petey
Nov 30 2009 15:11
Quote:
A suspect in the slaying of four police officers who were gunned down in a suburban coffee shop was surrounded by police at a Seattle house early Monday, wounded and possibly dead, police said.

Negotiators were trying to communicate with Maurice Clemmons, 37, using loudspeakers, explosions and even a robot to try to prod him from hiding. At one point, gunshots rang through the neighborhood, about 30 miles from the original crime scene.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/11/30/national/main5832068.shtml

jesuithitsquad's picture
jesuithitsquad
Nov 30 2009 15:41
Quote:
In 1989, Clemmons, then 17, was convicted in Little Rock for aggravated robbery. He was paroled in 2000 after Huckabee commuted a 95-year prison sentence. Huckabee, who was criticized during his run for the Republican presidential nomination in 2008 for granting many clemencies and commutations, cited Clemmons' youth. Clemmons later violated his parole, was returned to prison and released in 2004.

so much for 2012 . huckabee's willie horton.

petey
Nov 30 2009 17:27
jesuithitsquad wrote:
huckabee's willie horton.

yup. i'm waiting for the rightwingers now to invent some lunatic spin to explain why they're somehow not the same thing.

888's picture
Nov 30 2009 21:40
Steven. wrote:
Yes, bizarre, the second could have been inspired by the first perhaps. Did that Chris say why he did it? Was he just crazy?

One of the strangest things I ever read was a post on indymedia by someone who had just shot a cop, (off duty, at a petrol station IIRC) and the subsequent discussion (I can't find the link now)

Chris Montfort was an outstanding and charismatic 41 year old student or recent graduate with no previous criminal record. He advocated some kind of jury strategy that would result in mistrials where the jury should find someone not guilty regardless of the truth, for certain crimes such as dealing soft drugs. How he went from that position to killing cops, I don't know. He had written some kind of leaflet saying that he would kill cops, this was found at the scene of the arson of the police cars (along with an american flag) shortly before he shot the policeman with an assault rifle while he was parked at a petrol station on Halloween. The arson occured on the night before the October 22nd march against police brutality.

The other guy, Maurice Clemmons, had a history of mental illness, violent crime and child abuse, and had recently been rules and fit to stand trial. I don't think there's any link between the two crimes, there is the slight possibility that all the publicity and overblown hoo haa about one policeman getting killed (1000 police cars at the funeral procession) could have inspired Clemmons to shoot four cops, I don't know.

petey
Nov 30 2009 21:48
888 wrote:
He advocated some kind of jury strategy that would result in mistrials where the jury should find someone not guilty regardless of the truth, for certain crimes such as dealing soft drugs.

jury nullification, perhaps

Quote:
Jury nullification is the process whereby a jury in a criminal case nullifies a law by acquitting a defendant regardless of the weight of evidence against him or her."[1] Widely, it is any rendering of a verdict by a trial jury which acquits a criminal defendant despite that defendant's violation of the letter of the law—that is, of an official rule, and especially a legislative enactment. Jury nullification need not disagree with the instructions by the judge—which concerns what the law (common or otherwise) is—but it may rule contrary to an instruction that the jury is required to apply the "law" to the defendant in light of the establishment of certain facts.

Strictly speaking, a jury verdict which rules contrary to the letter of the law pertains only to the particular case before it; however, if a pattern of identical verdicts develops in response to repeated attempts to prosecute a statutory offense, it can have the practical effect of invalidating statute[citation needed]. Jury nullification is thus a means for the public to express opposition to an unwanted legislative enactment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification

Social
Nov 30 2009 23:12

I find this accident to be tragic

jesuithitsquad's picture
jesuithitsquad
Dec 1 2009 00:24
Social wrote:
I find this accident to be tragic

which part of this incident was accidental?

petey
Dec 2 2009 01:29
petey wrote:
i'm waiting for the rightwingers now to invent some lunatic spin to explain why they're somehow not the same thing.

well blow me down

Quote:
O'Reilly was forgiving of the former governor, who's a Fox News colleague. After thanking Huckabee for "being a stand-up guy," O'Reilly went on to offer Huckabee a pardon: the cop killings were "not your fault, governor."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/30/oreilly-to-huckabee-for-c_n_374812.html