DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

War Crimes

1 post / 0 new
st0gey
Nov 20 2009 18:41
War Crimes

I wonder if anyone can help. I am trying to discover whether or not the British and American invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan are actually illegal. I have heard it said that it is illegal, under international law, to invade a sovereign state and to enforce 'regime change', both of which have occurred as a result of the aforementioned invasions. Does anyone know if this is true or if there are any other laws that have been broken. I'd be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. Does anyone perhaps know of any documents that list the laws that are being broken by the UK and the US, with regard to the 'war on terror'?
When it comes to this war, no one (in the mainstream) seems to mention international law, except perhaps for the odd word here & there about the torture at Gitmo & Abu Ghraib. For all i know, British soldiers could be committing a war crime by simply stepping off the plane in Afghanistan! I'd like to get some clarity. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

smile