Wildcat strike by Iberia Airlines pilots

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
jef costello's picture
jef costello
Dec 23 2008 01:32
Wildcat strike by Iberia Airlines pilots

I saw an article on this, apparently 29 flights were cancelled on Friday due to a shortage of pilots. Management has accused the union of co-ordinating a wildcat strike. The dispute seems to be because they've not hired staff for the holiday period, I'm assuming that pilots are refusing to do either overtime or increased numbers of flights. I only saw a short french article I reckon a spaniish speaker could get more info more quickly.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Dec 23 2008 02:23

France Carrefour supermarket in Gosselies workers have walked out and blockaded the store after a manager was sacked for supposedly fiddling her time sheet.
PEnsioned rail workers in Belgium blocked the daily train through Charleroi to France to rpotest against the limited service and the limits placed on reduced price seats.
In Paris there's been a strike at St Lazare for about a week, with at least half of two trains on the two regional lines affected (which carry 450,000 of the network's 2.6M daily passengers) not running. Workers are protesting against an increased workload, managers deny that workload will be increasing.

OliverTwister's picture
OliverTwister
Dec 23 2008 03:16

The work committee (which the CGT is on) at Iberia Malaga called for partial strikes in november and 24-hour strikes every saturday starting December 23rd. However this was announced in November so perhaps the 'wildcat strike' is something else?

OliverTwister's picture
OliverTwister
Dec 23 2008 03:29

Ah I found more information about the wildcat. (All of this information is from elpais.com, as of December 18th).

SEPLA, a union for Spanish airline pilots, is in contract negotiations with Iberia. Iberia claims that there has been a wildcat strike, which SEPLA denies. The government is siding with Iberia and there have been 14 disciplinary cases.

There were pilot assemblies on the 4th and the 12th. Since the 4th Iberia's punctuality record has fallen from the 80-90 percent range to the 40-60 percent range. Since the 12th they have cancelled 135 flights.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 24 2008 00:09

Very interesting guys, thanks for that. Pilots using these informal tactics seems reasonably common - there was a significant sickout at Scandinavian airline SAS a couple of years ago, as well as a past history of it going back quite a long way:

http://libcom.org/news/article.php/sas-wildcat-strike-spreads-250106