Getting in touch with the youth

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Zombies
Aug 9 2007 05:47
Getting in touch with the youth

This is my first post so be kind.

I think in order to change the mindset of the American public should be to start at the base. In this case the children. I believe that we need to get through to more children and teens. Most teens want anarchy (but most of them do not understand why.) We should have more organizations geared towards teens, by having more organizations through the internet via Facebook, myspace, or even Youtube. Most of the groups are just a bunch of insolent rebellious teens. Any other ideas or thoughts to try to educate the children? I am a firm believer that they should make their own choice on their beliefs. But a little education can go a very long ways.

thugarchist's picture
thugarchist
Aug 9 2007 05:51

Ugh

Zombies
Aug 9 2007 05:52

What?

EdmontonWobbly's picture
EdmontonWobbly
Aug 9 2007 05:58

eeep!

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Aug 9 2007 08:48

Hey Zombies, welcome to the boards. Have you looked into alternative pedagogy of the Freire sort? Maybe you can find something in there about education, though I must say I am a bit skeptical to have a targeted "anarchist" education. It can very easily lead to indoctrination if they're too young. IMO the best way to educate teens is to get them involved in an action or organizing something where they go to school/work.

Zombies
Aug 9 2007 16:52

Shouldn't we start with the base and work our way up? and the teens become the work force after awhile.

j.rogue
Aug 9 2007 17:01

Some of us were the work force as teens.

Catch 22
Aug 9 2007 17:36

The vast majority of teens have at least part time employment.

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Aug 9 2007 17:41

Hi Zombies,

Quote:
I think in order to change the mindset of the American public should be to start at the base.

I don't think you are approaching things in the right way if this is how you think about other people.

Quote:
Most teens want anarchy (but most of them do not understand why.)

Teenagers want a lot of things - I don't think you can generalise a rebellious trend among teenagers and equate it with the ideas of organised anarchism.

Quote:
We should have more organizations geared towards teens, by having more organizations through the internet via Facebook, myspace, or even Youtube.

There is plenty of left presence on sites like those, like across the whole 'net.

Quote:
Most of the groups are just a bunch of insolent rebellious teens.

You were just saying they want anarchy..?!

Zombies
Aug 9 2007 18:38

I only reason I claim that the children are "the base" is because they are the most numerous and they are fresh and "Prue"... uncorrupted in a sense.

Zombies
Aug 9 2007 18:44
revol68 wrote:
Zombies wrote:
I only reason I claim that the children are "the base" is because they are the most numerous and they are fresh and "Prue"... uncorrupted in a sense.

It is you Uncle Hakem isn't it?!

Who is Uncle Hakem?

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Aug 9 2007 18:44
Quote:

Idunno, how young do you want to start? Did you see Jesus Camp? Or that young spanish speaking preacher kid on youtube? (sorry can't be bothered providing a link, it somewhere here on libcom).

MJ's picture
MJ
Aug 9 2007 18:55

Children aren't pure, they're filthy minded little harlots hellbent on corrupting adults. Inducting them into the movement would only cause distraction in our ranks.

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
Aug 10 2007 10:28

George Bush doesn't like zombies.

Zombies
Aug 12 2007 06:24
guydebordisdead wrote:
So, yeh, you do think they are naive. Youths have a part to play, but you can't build a revolution with just one section of society.

Your approach is wrong.

I'm saying we should start with the youth... not just the youth... and the reason the word pure is in quotes is because it is a generalization... not a fact...

RevolutionReversal's picture
RevolutionReversal
Aug 26 2007 01:01

If you want to be effective at targeting youth, try anarchist hip-hop/rap and you might tap into some major working class angst.

MJ's picture
MJ
Aug 26 2007 01:08

Try anarchist hip-hop/rap and you might CAUSE some major working class angst... grin