DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

¡Ya Basta! National Boycott

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
David in Atlanta
Sep 11 2007 13:32
¡Ya Basta! National Boycott

I don't usually post stuff about projects initiated by Democratic Party affiliates, but this looks promising:
http://hispanic.cc/ya_basta_national_boycott.htm

Jon Garrido
Sep 11 2007 14:10

David,

Thank you for posting Ya Basta

Jon Garrido
Owner and CEO
Hispanic News
www.Hispanic.cc

and

The Blue Dogs of the Democratic Party
www.BlueDogs.US

MJ's picture
MJ
Sep 11 2007 14:21

hahaha

David in Atlanta
Sep 11 2007 14:24

Don't laugh, MJ, it's a well thought out plan of action and maybe we can break Jon out of the party. Hi, Jon, btw.

MJ's picture
MJ
Sep 11 2007 14:28

It does look like a decent project. Hi Jon.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Sep 11 2007 14:32
www.BlueDogs.US wrote:
Blue Dogs are moderate and conservative Democrats that do not support abortion
http://www.americause.us/ wrote:
PHOENIX (By Jon Garrido, Americause) — Americause is the beginning of a program to restore America. The foundation we build on is the American family. The primary tenet is to safeguard the family in all aspects including jobs, health, education, security, law and order, environment, truth, and moral values... Americause invites other organizations and groups to join to become one collective effort to move Washington to pass legislation requiring all products and services sold in the United States be manufactured or the service provided in the United States

neutral

David in Atlanta
Sep 11 2007 14:36

Yikes! We've got our work cut out for us.

Randy
Sep 11 2007 14:41
David in Atlanta wrote:

Come one Dave, (insert color) Dog Democrat had to be a great, flashing, neon warning sign.

David in Atlanta
Sep 11 2007 14:55
Randy wrote:
David in Atlanta wrote:

Come one Dave, (insert color) Dog Democrat had to be a great, flashing, neon warning sign.

Yeah, well, thats true. My entusiasm for collective economic action blinded me a bit smile

Randy
Sep 11 2007 15:21
David in Atlanta wrote:
Randy wrote:
David in Atlanta wrote:

Yeah, well, thats true. My entusiasm for collective economic action blinded me a bit smile

Yeah, it is really interesting that these apparently conservative, Southern oriented Dems are catering to Hispanic interests. What do you suppose that means? That in addition to the much storied "illegals", the Hispanic vote is swaying the politics of Southern Dems? Bourgeois politicians cater to wealth, but require a social base as well (see Bush smoozing fatcats while placating the fundie base). Wonder if this heralds a major shift in the electoral politics below the Mason Dixon (likely in response to Republicans finally breaking the yellow dog lock on the former Confederacy)?

David in Atlanta
Sep 11 2007 15:45

Good question, Randy. Another is, why, if they're serious about their threat to shut down the Mexican border, are they signing on to this? And why sign on to extra-electorial action anyway? That might set dangerous ideas circulating about why we need elected officials.

Randy
Sep 11 2007 16:12
David in Atlanta wrote:
Good question, Randy. Another is, why, if they're serious about their threat to shut down the Mexican border, are they signing on to this?

You referring to the national party, I assume? (I doubt this Blue Dog faction would push a closed border line, and the one above as well. I scanned a "Blue Dogs Say Close the Border" article and it seems to talk more about drug trafficking than immigration. )

At a glance, I'd say the Blue Dog bunch is a southern dem faction. To begin with, there's the name. A quick scan of the headlines at http://www.bluedogs.us/ mentions Hillary a lot., there's a southern connection there. Anti abortion would likely play well with "traditional" Southern voters as well as the (largely Catholic) Hispanic demographic.

The way I read it, the national party is playing to the cheap jingo seats, while a southern faction with a larger Hispanic demographic, is looking to forge a multi ethnic coalition of some sort. With a more rightward orientation than most multiracial coalitions, in deference to Southern political realties.

Quote:
And why sign on to extra-electorial action anyway? That might set dangerous ideas circulating about why we need elected officials.

Another case of riding the Gran Paros wave, I guess. Think McCarthy and the anti war movement. Join the action in the streets, but then channel it into the party at the first opportunity. (Do I sound cynical?)

I'd like to research this further, but I have some herbal witch doctoring to tend to, then I have to go to an organizing meeting for a picket at the local bowling alley, all before the big campfire singalong tonight.

David in Atlanta
Sep 11 2007 16:29
Randy wrote:
David in Atlanta wrote:
Good question, Randy. Another is, why, if they're serious about their threat to shut down the Mexican border, are they signing on to this?

You referring to the national party, I assume? (I doubt this Blue Dog faction would push a closed border line, and the one above as well. I scanned a "Blue Dogs Say Close the Border" article and it seems to talk more about drug trafficking than immigration. )

At least on this issue it looks like they're trying to appeal to the nativist crowd and defuse the racist element, still results in a sealed militarized border but without the obvious racial motivation.

Quote:
And why sign on to extra-electorial action anyway? That might set dangerous ideas circulating about why we need elected officials.
Quote:
Another case of riding the Gran Paros wave, I guess. Think McCarthy and the anti war movement. Join the action in the streets, but then channel it into the party at the first opportunity. (Do I sound cynical?)

I'd like to research this further, but I have some herbal witch doctoring to tend to, then I have to go to an organizing meeting for a picket at the local bowling alley, all before the big campfire singalong tonight.

A tad cynical, but i suspect you're right. Now, how do we popularize action of this sort, if not this particular one, and prevent it being channeled?

Whats up with the bowling alley?
Do tell!

Randy
Sep 11 2007 16:43
David in Atlanta wrote:
...At least on this issue it looks like they're trying to appeal to the nativist crowd and defuse the racist element, still results in a sealed militarized border but without the obvious racial motivation.

Ah, I had forgotten the nativist historical precedent. Yeah, that fits.

Quote:
Whats up with the bowling alley?
Do tell!

Inside joke referring to a previous thread, sorry.