South Yorkshire

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
GenerationDecay
Offline
Joined: 5-11-03
Feb 28 2004 05:05
South Yorkshire

Erm, I'm not strictly North East, but anyway...

Is there anyone on these boards from South Yorks, preferably Sheffield but Rotherham, Barnsley etc. would do.

Or does anyone have any contacts for these areas.

Cheers.

GDxx

(wow, this is the first personal ad I've ever put up ever...)

Steve
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Feb 28 2004 09:49

There is an SF Local in Sheffield. You can contact them via solfed@solfed.org.uk red n black star

AlexA
Offline
Joined: 16-09-03
Feb 28 2004 13:23

for more links, see our North East page:

http://enrager.net/britain/northeast

GenerationDecay
Offline
Joined: 5-11-03
Feb 29 2004 18:38

Thanks Steve and Alexa.

I gotta admit I don't know too much about SF, although I'm sure I've met some of them without realising it. I'm going to email them to find out more stuff, but if there is anything you can tell me here Steve it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

AlexA
Offline
Joined: 16-09-03
Mar 3 2004 15:26

i'd just check out their site if i were you, GD:

www.solfed.org.uk

they're anarcho-syndicalists, part of the International Workers' Association, of which the CNT is a part smile

Dumfries
Offline
Joined: 17-05-04
Jun 24 2004 06:33

I'm from Sheffield...I am currently in Mozambique though, but want to get involved heavily when I get back, which is in a few months.

I posted this in the Anarchist Fed forum

http://enrager.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=13708#13708

I am looking to join an anarchist communist federation, or be apart of setting one up?

Cheers circle A

yes
Offline
Joined: 1-04-04
Jun 24 2004 16:19

could try

?

Dumfries
Offline
Joined: 17-05-04
Jun 24 2004 20:39

Fighting for lower paid work and better working conditions is not going to end exploitation!

Although working within trade unions is important, it is not the way a revolution is going to get won, in my opinion. I also think that we need diversity in method and tactics.

Is there an anarchist communist fed in sheffield.

Steve
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jun 24 2004 22:39

SolFed's aim is anarchist-communism. We do not only work within trade unions, we also work beyond them within the workplace. We also work in the community. In both cases we use a diversity of methods and tactics. We aim to link workplace and community struggles. Maybe it’s our fault but no matter how many times we say this there is still the stereotype reaction to anarcho-syndicalism that it is only about working in trade unions.

Fighting for better pay and working conditions may not be as glamorous as masking up and running up and down the road waving a black flag but if we are serious about bringing about change it has to be done or anarchists will forever remain outside shouting in and leave the way clear for authoritarians to monopolise any class struggle. red n black star

Quote:
Is there an anarchist communist fed in sheffield.

Not as far as I know.

Dumfries
Offline
Joined: 17-05-04
Jun 26 2004 13:57
Steve wrote:
SolFed's aim is anarchist-communism. We do not only work within trade unions, we also work beyond them within the workplace. We also work in the community.

I sent an email, but I might as well ask here as most of the anarchist groups ive emailed are piss poor at replying..What does that work involve? Do you hold political discussion forums?

Quote:
In both cases we use a diversity of methods and tactics.

?

Quote:
We aim to link workplace and community struggles.

Do you do direct action work within communities? ie setting up community spaces, repairing schools etc?

Quote:
Maybe it’s our fault but no matter how many times we say this there is still the stereotype reaction to anarcho-syndicalism that it is only about working in trade unions.

It's all about education i guess.

Quote:
Fighting for better pay and working conditions may not be as glamorous as masking up and running up and down the road waving a black flag

Running up and down a road with a black flag doesnt sound very glamouras either in my opinion, although I think its important to organise direct action things.

Quote:
but if we are serious about bringing about change it has to be done or anarchists will forever remain outside shouting in and leave the way clear for authoritarians to monopolise any class struggle. red n black star

I'm very serious... black bloc «-----me being serious tongue

I am very serious, and I very much want to get involved (full time if ya please) on my return to england

Quote:
Not as far as I know.

Do you know why?

Steve
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jun 26 2004 22:15

Each SF Local is autonomous and decides itself the best way of working in their locality. I can't answer for the Sheffield Local but I think they have been involved in local campaigns. Where I am in Lancashire we have done a lot of of anti-fascist work as well as being involved in other local campaigns.

Quote:
Do you hold political discussion forums?

I'm not sure what you mean by this but some SF Locals have open meeting where a topic is discussed. For example Manchester's next one is on drugs. (bring your own btw)

We try different methods again depending on the situation. In the workplace that may mean working within the union branch in other cases staying at workplace level. In the community it may mean holding socials or getting involved in a local campaign.

Quote:
setting up community spaces, repairing schools etc?

One of the aims of each SolFed Local is to eventually have a physical presence, ie a building to work from. Sometimes that may mean community spaces like the Red & Black Club in S. London. We don't repair schools though. confused

Quote:
I am very serious, and I very much want to get involved (full time if ya please) on my return to england

None of us are full time and as a principle we oppose full timers even if we did establish a union.

I don't know why there isn't an AF branch in Sheffield. All the anarchist feds in the UK have areas where they have no members or perhaps just one or two. For example there isn't an AF branch anywhere in Lancashire, on the other hand there isn't an SF Local in Birmingham. If you go on the various website you can soon spot the gaps throughout the country of all three anarchist federations. cry

I'm sure that even if you didn't want to join Sheffield SF they would work with you. We do that in Lancashire with anarchists who are not SF members.

Dumfries
Offline
Joined: 17-05-04
Jun 27 2004 09:21
Steve wrote:
Each SF Local is autonomous and decides itself the best way of working in their locality. I can't answer for the Sheffield Local but I think they have been involved in local campaigns. Where I am in Lancashire we have done a lot of of anti-fascist work as well as being involved in other local campaigns.

Okey cokey!

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by this but some SF Locals have open meeting where a topic is discussed. For example Manchester's next one is on drugs. (bring your own btw)

That's what I meant...

Quote:
We try different methods again depending on the situation. In the workplace that may mean working within the union branch in other cases staying at workplace level. In the community it may mean holding socials or getting involved in a local campaign.

How succesful are you?

Quote:
We don't repair schools though. confused

Why confused? It makes perfect sense. Direct action doesnt have to only extend to smashing mcdonalds windows. Communities are falling to pieces, literally. Have you ever heard of a group called Teachers Group? They started in the 70's in Denmark and were the main opposition to the governments plans to build a nuclear power plant. The government kept using the argument that wind power was ineffective etc, so this group of hippies built the very first wind mill in denmark...it turned public opinion and the government had to scrap the nuclear power plant idea. Direct action work like this within communities is extremly effective in my opinion. I think the Do It Yourself tactic is a great one. circle A

Quote:
None of us are full time and as a principle we oppose full timers even if we did establish a union.

What if I don't want to do anything else? grin

Quote:
I don't know why there isn't an AF branch in Sheffield.

well, i would know if they emailed me...but they don't, so...confused

Quote:
I'm sure that even if you didn't want to join Sheffield SF they would work with you. We do that in Lancashire with anarchists who are not SF members.

Maybe, i want the AF to email me back sad .....or maybe I just rejoin the SWP tongue