AACG Anti-Austerity leaflet

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rats's picture
Rats
Oct 6 2010 02:51
AACG Anti-Austerity leaflet

If you see this and have any pressing changes to recommend, you have about 2 hours to call me and tell me otherwise it'll be printed.

Here, there, everywhere! Fight Austerity!

Since the global financial crisis (GFC) of 2008, governments the world over throw have thrown our money to the rich in the form of Stimulus Packages. This has pushed nations from surplus (or small debts), into massive amounts of government debt.

Governments knew that they couldn't keep plummeting economies into debt. They knew they would have to recover this money somewhere. But if there is one thing that we can learn from history, it is that when their rotten system creates a problem, they will make us pay for it. They want us to work harder than ever, for more of our lives, while getting paid less. They need us to accumulate more personal debt buying crap we don't need on credit.

There is nothing unique about the budget put forward by Kevin Foley's 'razor gang'. It contains the same austerity measures being imposed on ordinary people across Europe and the rest of the world. The UK, Italy, Romania, Latvia, Germany, Spain, the Netherlands, Japan and most memorably Greece, are faced with the same cuts that we now face.

Cuts to Health, Education, the closure/sell off of the Parks Community Centre, public transport price hikes, State services fee hikes (e.g. rego fees), a rent hike for pensioners in state housing and, of course, the 3700 public sector jobs and 90 000 PS workers with their entitlements cut without negotiation.

These cuts are not, as the Razor gang (and IMF) suggest, a temporary measure to bring financial stability. They are a direct and general attack on workers, and the social conditions and life of the working class as a whole – the whole world over. Austerity attacks by the State must be met with a strong resistance by workers, students, pensioners, and unemployed.

Across the world the use of direct action to challenge austerity has spread everywhere such austerity has been imposed. By attacking the private and public sector separately, the bosses & State try to divide us: thus solidarity across the working class is our most effective weapon! Lets make it clear to them that we won’t pay for capitalisms crisis!

Don’t let Kevin Foley and his Razor Gang succeed in their attack!
The struggle continues: Save Parks Community Centre—Sunday 10th October, 11am, Cowan St, Angle Park

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
Oct 6 2010 03:36
Quote:
governments the world over throw have thrown our money

there's a superfluous word in there

Samotnaf
Oct 6 2010 04:03

It's kind of banal and i could argue with points here and there, but the main failing in it is to not say anything about the movements outside the UK that have already begun to struggle a bit against these things, and to not say anything, or anything critical, about the Unions. But I don't know if that's the kind of comment you want.

Rats's picture
Rats
Oct 6 2010 04:49

Cheers for spotting that one asher! Have just been tidying up bits and bobs, hadn't even spotted that one!

It doesn't really say much about the movements within the UK either, so i'm not sure what you're getting at - that it should talk more about these movements? Yes, it definitely should, but we want to print about 1500 of these leaflets in the next few hours, and have limited resources, we just don't have the space. I tried to get free printing from a student rep at a university, but the student council has to formally endorse a campaign before its resources can be used, and that wasn't gonna happen today.

We also don't have the space to put in much critical of the unions, but we have the intention. We can do that in future, most importantly is for us to have at least this ready for the demonstration, and to be able to invite people to rally at the community centre under threat.

riot_dude
Oct 6 2010 17:42

probs a bit late...

Quote:
not say anything about the movements outside the UK that have already begun to struggle a bit against these things

yeah thats a bit confusing...
it only mentions stuff happening in South Australia.

I don't know, i assume this leaflet is just to plug the rally Gabs? If so, its fine.
There's nothing wrong with being brief and not going into detail if all yr trying to do is give someone a document that says 'austerity measures suck, come protest them with us.'

having said that, maybe at the demo you'd like to have a document explaining why our current bureaucratic unions are incapable/unwilling of effectively fighting these measures. If that's what Organise/AACG (what are you running with these dayz?) wanna focus on, or think, of course...

keep it rbg homie, come back to Melbourne

Rats's picture
Rats
Oct 7 2010 01:10

Haha, AACG/Organise are interchangeable depending on mood, and lighting.

The aim of this leaflet is to make the connection of budget cuts in South Australia, to Austerity measures internationally, so when it came to whether to use text-space criticising the role of unions or better explaining austerity, i had to go with the latter. The fight against the cuts are gonna last a while IMO, there'll be time and space in future to critique the unions, especially when the unions begin to accept concessions.

Though, the extent of the budget cuts extends well beyond the borders of PSA & AEU, so a real struggle against austerity will have to be largely outside the unions.

To clarify there's 2000 of these leaflets and they're for giving out at the public sector workers' rally in the city this friday.

riot_dude
Oct 7 2010 01:22

I've got the mood lighting ready, and the scented candles.
Come back to Melbourne wink

Rats's picture
Rats
Oct 7 2010 01:31

Awwww yeahhh!
I'll come with my bike again sometime. You should see my new one, it's hotter than you.
Oh no i didn't!
*back to serious revo discussion*

Spikymike
Oct 9 2010 13:49

We/I would appreciate feedback on further struggles against the current austerity measures in Australia and responses to your leaflets.

Rats's picture
Rats
Oct 14 2010 23:55

Yesterday was another massive demonstration against the cuts, approx. 6000 people rallied out front of parliament at midday. Tram drivers said they wouldn't run trams past parliament to respect the demonstration, and just to make sure firefighters blockaded the tram tracks. It was so sick.

The tones of the unionists and the politicians(of the other parties) who speak are no different than is to be expected from unionists and politicians. Not much more to say about that i suppose.

Firetruck blockade(there was about 10 firetrucks on either side of the one in the pic):