adviec

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
vicent
Jul 14 2013 00:25
adviec

hello all

i am currently studying environmental studies in my second year, but have become increasingly disillusioned with what they are teaching (green capitalism, population crisis blah blah blah) . i am now thinking of changing to a history course and hopefully study and bring to the light the more obscure parts of anarchist related history (makhno etc)

is this a good idea? or is university a complete waste of time and we already have enough information on anarchist history and im better off doing something else?

thanks!

Ethos's picture
Ethos
Jul 14 2013 00:42
vicent wrote:
hello all

i am currently studying environmental studies in my second year, but have become increasingly disillusioned with what they are teaching (green capitalism, population crisis blah blah blah) . i am now thinking of changing to a history course and hopefully study and bring to the light the more obscure parts of anarchist related history (makhno etc)

is this a good idea? or is university a complete waste of time and we already have enough information on anarchist history and im better off doing something else?

thanks!

If you were in the U.S. I would say that you should definitely study whatever you feel passionate about. As far as the second and third questions are concerned: university education is bullshit*. However, in our capitalist world, it's essential if you don't want to be breaking your back for the rest of your days (and even with a degree it's not guaranteed that you won't). I wish it wasn't the case, but the truth is that, unless we're bringing about revolution tomorrow, you're probably going to need a job to survive like the rest of us and you might as well make it something you marginally care about.

--------------------------
*This statement has it's exceptions, of course. Perhaps it would be better to say, "as far as the 'social sciences' and 'humanities' are concerned".

ites's picture
ites
Jul 14 2013 01:26
vicent wrote:

My opinion is you should stick it out and approach the green capitalist bullshit they teach critically so you can write great proposals to critique it and research green anarchist alternatives if you go on to do honours and postgraduate study.

If you move to history you'll have the same problem of irrelevant subject matter and best and shit that is downright wrong at worst. I remember sitting in one second year history class and listening to some hack try to tell me one July 19 that the left did nothing remarkable during the Spanish Civil War (I spoke up about that shit and then walked out of the lecture).

Academia is depressingly tame at the best of times and only more so these days as VCs slash humanities departments to shreds in the name of removing the last vestiges of universities as anything other than degree factories where the worth of knowledge is defined by the profitability of student intakes and how well courses prepare students for wage-slavery. It will most likely be unsatisfactory wherever you go.

vicent
Jul 14 2013 03:01

thanks guys
perhaps id be better off just dropping out and getting an apprenticeship or something
what jobs do most anarchists have?

Ablokeimet
Jul 14 2013 05:44
vicent wrote:
thanks guys
perhaps id be better off just dropping out and getting an apprenticeship or something

If I were you, I'd do it the other way around - get an apprenticeship & then drop out of uni. That way, you wouldn't be gambling on the apprenticeship turning up.

The other thing, of course, is that you have to be sure you can live on the pay you'd be getting. First and second year apprentices in Australia are paid 3 fifths of 5 eighths of buggerall and there is a massive attrition rate amongst them for this very reason.

That said, it would be good to have more Anarchists in blue collar jobs. Most of the ones I know are in white collar ones - sometimes paying well (for a worker) and sometimes paying poorly.

vicent
Jul 14 2013 07:17

thanks, great advice. what do you think is a good trade to learn?

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Jul 14 2013 07:19
vicent wrote:
thanks guys

I think it's all been pretty good advice on this thread.

Personally, I'd stick it out, switch to history (speaking as a someone who studied history myself wink ). Even the best job is still going to have parts of it that are massively shit and alienating, so I think you're better off studying and trying to get a job that, as much as possible, you get some satisfaction out of. Although as others have pointed out, you could easily do four years at uni and end up in a shitty service sector job with your only opporutunity for advancement to become a fucking manager.

In any case, more time at uni = less time at work and I'd try to avoid having a job for as long as you possibly can.

Also, FWIW, another libcom poster decided to take a year-long management training module at uni, purely for the purpose of writing a piece on workplace organising from the perspective of the boss. Or, in other words, learning how managers are taught to approach conflict in the workplace so, as workers, we know what to expect.

vicent
Jul 14 2013 07:36
Quote:
Also, FWIW, another libcom poster decided to take a year-long management training module at uni, purely for the purpose of writing a piece on workplace organising from the perspective of the boss. Or, in other words, learning how managers are taught to approach conflict in the workplace so, as workers, we know what to expect.

genius

Agent of the International's picture
Agent of the In...
Jul 14 2013 11:46

You should definitely get a college degree, because you are less likely to get even a back-breaking job without one.