Anarchism in Brisbane???

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
killerontheroad's picture
killerontheroad
Mar 11 2011 05:10
Anarchism in Brisbane???

What the hell? Brisbane is the third biggest city in Australia and we don't have a bookshop, coffee shop, infoshop or 'food not bombs' collective. We don't even have a website.
Please, I'm stuck in Brisbane for a while and would really love to do something useful. Do any comrades in Brisbane know what's going on? I'm unemployed so have unlimited free time to work on anything. Surely some of you fixie hipsters and punks I see around west-end are anarchists. Let's get together and organize something.

With Sober Senses's picture
With Sober Senses
Mar 11 2011 06:35

There is a whole bunch of anarchists around the traps. If you go to Food Not Bombs tonight (Friday 7pm Boundary St, West End) I am sure you will meet some. Or check out their websiteSome of the people involved in the assembly for dignity are anarchists too.
cheers
Dave

Rats's picture
Rats
Mar 12 2011 02:49

Wasn't there like a hippie green anarchist bookshop there a couple years back? What about Ibcat? http://www.ibcat.tk/

Rats's picture
Rats
Mar 12 2011 02:50

Damn, that ibcat website is good, i think organise might rip that layout, ours is ugly in comparison.

With Sober Senses's picture
With Sober Senses
Mar 12 2011 03:52

Gabs wrote

Quote:
Wasn't there like a hippie green anarchist bookshop there a couple years back?

There was shop called Black and Green, some of the people involved were primitivists/ anti-civ others were not.
cheers
Dave

kuro
Feb 23 2012 13:56

As grumpy mentioned things are buzzing under the surface, they're just not as public as they should be. As for us, we've only been meeting for around a year and a half and are still setting up sustainable processes..I think you sent us an email so will cya soon! red n black star

Activity tends to get drawn into West End but there are lots of comrades scattered around the state. Brisbane has an interesting history in libertarian organisations (SMG/ISE/LSO/BASTARD/Ahimsa house/Bleeding Hearts Press etc) and once in a while some exciting things pop up. The bookshop in west end despite all the primitivist stuff put on some great films and hosted some amazing people.

Brisbane Food not Bombs meet at the waiters union centre on thomas street from around 5 onwards

sent you a msg gabs wink

killerontheroad's picture
killerontheroad
Mar 13 2011 00:52

Yeah, that was me who sent the email.

kuro wrote:
Brisbane Food not Bombs meet at the waiters union centre on thomas street from around 5 onwards

Friday right?

Is this where you prepare everything before moving onto Boundary St? Because I thought FNB met on

Grumpy Cat wrote:
Friday 7pm Boundary St, West End

kuro
Mar 13 2011 02:54

yep the preparing happens on Thomas st, food on Boundary

Rats's picture
Rats
Mar 13 2011 14:23

i haven't got any messages from you ...?

happyanarchy
Mar 29 2011 22:17

Anarchism in Brisbane really has its own style. It's influence is much more wide spread, but discreet, then other places.

I think mostly it comes through in various projects that just don't stamp the circle A branding on it. This is a strength. You don't always need to wave the Black Flag to have an impact.

But the failing then in Brisbane I think is a lack of co-ordination, and not knowing what else is going on if you are not in the social circle. If you are on the outer, it is hard to get in.

Maybe a @brisbane tweeter is the way to go.

BTW if anyone wants to resurrect the bookshop contact me.

As for coffee shops, hmmm maybe BlackStar is the closest thing you'll get. If you're keen to start that project, I know someone that would support it, if it's done professionally as a social enterprise.

happyanarchy
Mar 29 2011 22:33

Damn it, got me thinking about the huge and very cool anarchist history that has been in Brisbane, and now mostly forgotten.

Like the Reclaim the Streets Party in 2003 that had about 800 people take the William Jolly Bridge for 6 hours.

There was the squatting scene in the 1990's including the busted up Social Centre in South Brisbane, and the occupations of Queen Street in the 1990's.

There are hundreds of different campaigns over the years, organised using anarchist principles.

A number of projects from the 1970's radical scene that have turned into formal lasting NGO's, such as the Tenant's Union. There's still Justice Products, started by the Catholic Worker movement, now operated by Spiral.

I'm gunna stop now, but a book needs to be written. I need a grant.

The book Radical Brisbane: An Unruly History is a good read for anyone wanting an introduction. Although not specifically anarchist.

LeftResistance's picture
LeftResistance
May 11 2011 11:58

Not that its related to brisbane, but as of today newcastle officially has an anarchist group!

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
May 11 2011 13:36

Great! Is that some of the same people I might've met at the Summer School? Can't wait to hear more about it. You should contact MAC and say hello. We can swap propaganda etc.

LeftResistance's picture
LeftResistance
May 11 2011 21:45

Yea i'm one of the toms you might have met, but rounded up a few other anarchists in the area. Will do, still in the process of setting up but we have a launch event-fundraiser already booked! Going to get leaflets out in time for the propagandhi gigs too.

kuro
May 12 2011 13:17

Good to hear, keep in touch with Brisbane too

kuro
Dec 3 2014 10:44

Since I've met a fair few people who say this thread was their reference point to groups in Brisbane i'll just leave a note that ibcat dissolved into Brisbane Solidarity Network a few years back (A)