Anarchist communist reading/discussion group in Adelaide

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rats's picture
Rats
May 7 2010 15:21
Anarchist communist reading/discussion group in Adelaide

At the group meeting of Organise! tonight, we decided to set up a reading group for further political clarification, and to adopt poster Denna's idea - the one about milk, cookies, and looking good. Our first reading will be selected chapters from The Conquest of Bread by kropotkin.
This project will be named anarchist communist discussion circle.
aka ACDC

TAKE THAT ICAN AND AWSM!
Anyway. First reading is 6th of June.
email organise@riseup.net for details.

riot_dude
May 7 2010 15:26

Can we start an interstate turf war?
Fantin reading group for life, gangsta!

ACDC is inherently counter-revo! wink

Hope it goes awesomely, and come visit me Gabs!

Spassmaschine
May 7 2010 23:19

Sounds cool. In the interests of starting reading group turf wars, we've also got another one in Melb, mostly reading stuff from the meaningless insult-categories of 'ultra-left' and 'autonomism'. We've been meeting irregularly for the last year or so. We don't have a catchy acronym, or even a name at all, but could perhaps come up with one if it becomes necessary.

Currently reading the crisis article from Aufheben 18. PM if you're interested.

Oh, and have fun with both ACDC and Fantin.

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
May 8 2010 00:52

ACDC is a pretty rad acronym, bro. If you're posting your readings up online, let me know and I'll endeavour to have it linked on the MAC and Fantin sites.

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
May 8 2010 01:42
Quote:
This project will be named anarchist communist discussion circle.
aka ACDC

Haha, AC/DC was one of the names that came up as a suggestion when we started the Christchurch Anarchist-Communist Discussion Group a couple of months ago! We decided not to use a funny acronym this time though wink

Hope it goes well smile

With Sober Senses's picture
With Sober Senses
May 8 2010 01:52

This is The Red Thread's reading list.

Malcy
May 8 2010 01:55

ACDC is the best, and I can't believe you didn't use it Asher!!!

Rats's picture
Rats
May 8 2010 06:49

Our first reading is Kropotkins Conquest of Bread, well, the first 4 chapters of it. Then again, if we've all finished the first 4 chapters in a week, we may aswell keep going!

Avail. as audiobook here:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/librivox-conquest-bread-the/id344684995

Skraeling
May 9 2010 00:56

i agree, ACDC is to be thoroughly commended on its name.

did you not know AWSM actually stole its name from Zambia?
http://libcom.org/history/choongo-wilstar-1964-1999
those norty whitey pakeha colonialists, they're not content with living off stolen Maori land while supposedly supporting tino rangatiratanga, so they're reaching out overseas.

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
May 9 2010 05:17

Fantin Reading Group did one chapter from Conquest of Bread.
http://fantinreadinggroup.wordpress.com/2010/01/25/kropotkin/

We (Fantin) found that long readings tend to dissuade people from coming, with work commitments being what they are. Another idea that I think worked was encouraging people to still come even if they haven't done the readings. The benefit is that interesting questions get asked about the readings and having to explain (or debate) the ideas creates a better understanding.

Rats's picture
Rats
May 9 2010 06:00

Yeah but the first 4 chapters of capital is like 30-35 pages, and we're giving a month between readings(at least for this one anyway).

The thing i'm worried about is people being able to get books - we don't have as much resources to draw on as Melb/Syd comrades. Between us we have 2 hard copies(of TCOB), and we're gonna see what we can get out of university libraries, then the rest will just have to read online or put the audiobook on ipod/yer phone. Should work out smoothly though.

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
May 9 2010 07:10

Fair enough re: length.
TCOB is available online. http://dwardmac.pitzer.edu/anarchist_archives/kropotkin/conquest/toc.html

I usually scan the text, do the text-recognition in ReadIris and then reformat it in InDesign if it's from a book. I make two PDFs; one for reading on screen and one imposed so you can print it double-sided and fold it so it's an A5 booklet, like this. The latter even seems to be more than most people can manage, so I'm thinking of changing it up to an A4 page.

Reformatting the copy can be a pain in the arse, but it's no more than a couple of hours work if you know what you're doing, and it's there to use again.

In the long term, I'd like to gather a few key texts into one big reader, like they do at universities for the readings, and make a 3 month program of introductory anarchist texts.

What resources do you need? Maybe MAC or I can help out.

Rats's picture
Rats
May 9 2010 09:05

The scanning/indesign thing is a great idea, so is the reader.
About resources, all i meant was we don't have an infoshop/library to get a hold of a handful of books, or buy a copy quickly. Online or printed will do fine, but hard copies are so much nicer, and full of margin notes built up over years of lovin'.

But yeah, it'll just be time till we accumulate resouces. We do have alot of books in our collection, but generally a single copy of each.

Molly Gibson
Mar 31 2013 08:53

Hey-oh, Rats especially...
Is ACDC still up and running?
I would be so unbelievably psyched if it was. I swear, without the Internet here to assure me I'm not the only Adelaide Anarchist still breathing, I'd have died of loneliness months ago.

Wait... Rats?
Rat...boy?

Ratboy Patience, is that you?
Maybe I'm going nuts.

Rats's picture
Rats
Apr 1 2013 05:26

Hi molly, what's your email ill drop you a line. We've got some stuff on upcoming actually you might want to check out.

THere's a private message function on your libcom account, use that to send email if you want.

LC Hammer's picture
LC Hammer
Apr 1 2013 12:58

good one comrades, best of luck with it