Anarchist press in Australia?

93 posts / 0 new
Last post
andrew-s
Jun 18 2009 05:32

Ah! It has taken a little while and some good old fashioned "argy bargy" but, following Lumpen's post, I think we can safely say that we have discovered the true intentions of some on this forum / thread.

There are those in the Australian and indeed the World Anarchist "scene" that consider themselves the "custodians" of Anarchist thought, theory and practice. These are the "self-appointed" judges, juries and executioners, the "chosen ones" with whom the Anarchist "received wisdom" sits, the ones who decide just what does and does not constitute Anarchist thought, theory and practice.

These are the Anarchist "thought police" and there is no need to elaborate on the hypocrisy of their stance, other than to say that it would reside more comfortably within Fascist Circles.

Some of these custodians have secondary motives, they desire to prove their "intellectual prowess" by dragging anybody they can into never ending debates over theoretical minutiae. This secondary approach helps to reinforce the misguided belief in their own "custodial" importance.

A sure sign that these two motivations are in existence, is the resort to abusive language and dummy spitting whenever these custodians can't "get their way". If somebody refuses to "play their game", they immediately move to try to end the proceedings.

Fortunately, there are many Anarchists who are open to new experiences, thoughts and approaches. Judging by the number of downloads of ASM since it went online, there are a considerable number of Anarchists or those who wish to be, who have been looking for an Anarchist approach that is different, colorful, imaginative, inclusive, inviting, stimulating and friendly. Perhaps these people have simply grown tired of the drab, unimaginative, blackened flag, violence, divisiveness, rock throwing and dry theoretical masturbationism.

Nonetheless, ASM will continue to promote Anarchist publications of all persuasions, thoughts, theories and practices (including the drab!) because we encourage diversity and yes, that includes respecting and accepting the right of anybody who wishes to remain a Capitalist. That, after all, is what Anarchy is all about, people living together, with diversity and without "rulers".

So Lumpen, ASM wishes you all the very best in your pursuit of "Lumpensim"!

Cheers

Andrew Stretton
andy@mechanarchy.com.au

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
Jun 18 2009 10:47

Eh? Honestly Andrew, what the fuck are you on?

edit - I'm really not trying to be rude here. I just don't have a clue why you felt the need to come on this thread and behave like such a douchebag.

Rats's picture
Rats
Jun 23 2009 13:04

This is ridiculous we can all judge each others writing all we want, noone's being a custodian, lumpen is just giving an extensive personal analysis, and whether anyone else shares that analysis is up to them. Noone's being a thought cop, golly.

And also, if we accepted and respected someones right to be a capitalist(but not a ruler also?) then in what the hell sense can are we anarchists? or communists?

I'm also fairly confused about this first article in your february(2009) issue. Not about any part in particular, just the whole thing, the structure, what it's talking about. It's a bit of a mission to read through, but clears up alot towards the 3rd page.
I did like the use of humpty dumpty quotes in the debunking of post-modern social values, it's out of the ordinary which is nice, but maybe wont hold much sway with yuppies?
Overall though, i'm gonna agree with lumpen, this just doesn't contribute ideas to the anarchist cauldron, or try and get people interested in the ideas broiling in said cauldron.
Using the same expression, it advocates that ideas should be added to the cauldron, and mentions that there is a cauldron and that anarchists and free thinkers are adding ideas to it, but the publication is not providing well structured arguements that verify anarchist ideas in situations. It just seems to be doing alot of raggin' on postmodern society, without supplying any practical information, except for solar cookers and bicycle repairs. And it's beyond me how either fixing my bike, or solar cookers made from recycled components, are going to assist us in making radical changes to this destructive society. I'm all for bush-foods, bikes and solar cookers, but these don't challenge any of the problems in society, even the ones written about inside the monthly.
I did like the dialogue "fear and greed" good stuff, would make a good comic even.

Noone means to just be paying out the publication for the sake of it, we're just trying to be constructive and maybe see it ferment into something more digestable.

x

kuro
Jun 23 2009 13:19

anyone have an up to date list of anarchist collectives in Australia?

pete green's picture
pete green
Jun 23 2009 14:45

abc melb have a newsletter to out next one is coming out soon write to po box 300 east brunswick 3057 vic australia just ask 4 one

@ndy's picture
@ndy
Jun 23 2009 16:27

http://anarchy.org.au/?page_id=4

More or less up-to-date (March 11, 2009).

"Please note that: -
a listing is not necessarily an endorsement;
this list is updated regularly;
if your group or project isn’t on this list and you think it should be, let us know."

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
Jun 24 2009 04:36

Your listings for this side of the Tasman are really out of date @ndy. Remind me sometime and I can update them for you smile Also see http://www.anarchistblackcat.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3371

Rats's picture
Rats
Jun 25 2009 04:13

We sortof have started an anarchist communist group, we've had meetings, we've put out leaflets, we did a film night and had online discussions, so i guess that counts as started even though loose.

ripped off belfast cats, it's called Organise!
that's right, exclamation mark and all.
xx

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
Jun 25 2009 04:47

fuck, i should totally reply to your email, gabs. i'll do it tonight. cool to hear things are off the ground smile

@ndy's picture
@ndy
Jun 25 2009 08:30

Heyo,

I've updated the list. As ever, corrections and clarifications are welcome.

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
Jun 25 2009 08:57

ok, i've got a few free minutes so here goes with the corrections:

black star's website is http://www.nihil.net.nz/blackstar/index.php . the shop didnt open at all last year and i dont think it has yet this year either, although the collective still exists and they still have the space, and i know they're hoping to start having regular opening hours again

Cherry Bomb Comics - no longer has a shop, is now online (and occasional stalls) only. Does have online shop though so worth keeping on the list.

Auckland Class War - has never existed outside of the deluded mind of a paedo "anarchist" and a couple of his mates. Should be removed from the list.

Peace Action Wellington is more-or-less defunct, but may come back to life so worth keeping on the list - website address is now http://www.peacewellington.org/

Save Happy Valley Campaign should read Save Happy Valley Coalition

SNAP! hasn't come out for several years now (since 2006 if i recall correctly, other than a very brief revival in '07) so should be removed

Oblong Internet Cafe has closed, taking with it The Freedom Shop's shop space. The Freedom Shop might reopen in a new space later this year, although not sure. In the meantime, it does infrequent stalls around Wellington.

you're also missing:

October 15th Solidarity - http://www.october15thsolidarity.info

Aotearoa Indymedia - http://www.indymedia.org.nz (oh wait, i see indy sites are listed at the bottom, never mind)

FDB should prob move from Australia > National to Oceania.

in the blog section:

Beneath the Pavement - http://beneaththepavement.blogspot.com/

Garage Collections - http://garagecollective.blogspot.com/

Stanselen - http://www.katipo.net.nz/stanselen/

thats all off the top of my head

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jun 25 2009 09:40
Asher wrote:

Auckland Class War - has never existed outside of the deluded mind of a paedo "anarchist" and a couple of his mates. Should be removed from the list.

!! He is a paedophile?

Seriously?! Is this the nutty guy who runs a small business making T-shirts and staff, and made all those god-awful class war shirts with things like explosions and Bulldogs and girls in thongs?

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
Jun 25 2009 11:10

I dunno if paedo is necessarily the correct term, as its about teenagers, not young kids - dodgy as fuck regardless though. He's been known to invite young (ie - 14/15/16 year old) punks/anarchists to his house, get them really drunk and show them films on his projector, in which he's spliced naked images of himself (without warning them, of course). Its really fucking gross.

I dunno if he sells t-shirts but wouldn't surprise me - he has a printing press and makes lots of stickers and pamphlets too.

@ndy's picture
@ndy
Jun 25 2009 11:11

Have updated -- cheers Asher.

Re CW -- I think you may be thinking of Sydney Steven..

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
Jun 25 2009 11:33

Looks good @ndy smile

2 more things, on The Freedom Shop's entry, you should take out Oblong completely - while The Freedom Shop will re-open at some stage, Oblong definitely won't, the whole project is dead.

Also, I just remembered, apparently there is a new anarchist infoshop in Auckland run by some Italian anarchist who's living here now. I don't know the address though, just that it's on K Rd, which is a great location, as central as it gets. If I find out more I'll let you know smile

princess mob
Jun 25 2009 11:43

for the record, the guy who used to make the Class War t-shirts in Sydney was really lovely the couple of times I met him. Not at all what I'd expect from the aesthetic.

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
Jun 26 2009 00:47

Looks like The Freedom Shop has reopened sooner than expected, so here's another update for you @ndy:

Aotearoa Indymedia wrote:
The Freedom Shop Reopens

After a short period of homelessness, we are very happy to be able to open again and show off our new order of brand-new radical books from AK Press.

Come and be the first to get your hands on the latest books and check out our new space.

Freedom Shop Opening Hours

3-6pm Thursday and Friday
Saturday afternoons (time to be confirmed)

Room 22a, Level 2
Trades Hall, Vivian Street, Wellington

If front door is closed, ring the doorbell.

http://www.myspace.com/freedomshopaotearoa

Rats's picture
Rats
Jun 26 2009 01:35
Asher wrote:
He's been known to invite young (ie - 14/15/16 year old) punks/anarchists to his house, get them really drunk and show them films on his projector...

i have actually heard of this guy from some kiwi's! he sucks, someone should shoot him, or at least have a word with him, whilst holding a gun/longbow/poisoned dagger. what a creep.

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
Jun 30 2009 14:36

I suppose I should take some responsibility for eating the troll bait and vomiting more out. Wait, if someone is serious but still being unnecessarily disruptive, are they still a troll? An ogre, maybe? Apologies to everyone for wasting time.

The ASF is starting a newsletter within the next month so I'm told. Not strictly an anarchist publication (you don't need to be an anarchist to join the ASF or contribute), but I'd chuck it on the list anyway. Might wait and see if they actually come through first!

There are some other publications in Barricade that are recent, although I don't know if they are regular. World Without Sexual Assault have been putting out publications. I don't know if you'd call them an anarchist group (one person reckoned they are, another person said they're not), but they are informed by anarchist ideas and organisation. So if you'd be willing to include anarcho-syndicalist publications, I can't see why you wouldn't include these whatever the case. There has been one publication by World Without that was offset print (a newspaper) and some photocopied zines.

P.S. It's really good to hear about stuff from New Zealand. There really isn't enough communication between the two.
P.P.S. "Lumpensim" [Lumpenism?] is better known as anarcho-fabulousness and hell yeah, count me as sectarian.

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
Jul 1 2009 02:29
Quote:
P.S. It's really good to hear about stuff from New Zealand. There really isn't enough communication between the two.

Yeah, I totally agree. We (AWSM) are real keen to keep in good contact, although it's kinda hard to know what that would look like / what it's purpose actually would be. Obviously we'd place more priority on keeping up good links with the anarchist-communist groups (SACT, MACG and the new Adelaide group) but that doesn't mean we aren't interested in other groups too smile

If someone wanted to start a new topic on Aus/NZ cooperation, what things we could do together etc etc, I'd be keen to have a think about it...

Rats's picture
Rats
Jul 2 2009 12:59

World without put out their 2nd newspaper recently, the first one came out early 2008.
I think it's definitely important for groups like world without to be putting out newspapers as such. People are so astounded sexual abuse is so prevalent, but we're never taught anything about consent, not ever, so it's no wonder people push and break the boundaries.
There's nothing else like that around and it's really well done.

omar
Jul 5 2009 05:49
Quote:
get them really drunk and show them films on his projector, in which he's spliced naked images of himself (without warning them, of course).

asher-firstly, this is a rumour and not substantiated as far as i know. secondly, dont talk shit on the internet anyway about this kind of shit, it needs to be raised in appropriate ways not forum threads. thirdly, the man in question has been around far longer than you or i so before you go and slag him off remember that he kept the @ flame alive all through the 90s via publishing TSA while you and me were still at school.

as for groups there is in auckland,

ak free space collective, an anarchic collective doing skill shares.

Auckland Anarchist Network - organised a couple of monthly forums and put out some zines but lately has been inactive.

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
Jul 6 2009 13:56
Quote:
World without put out their 2nd newspaper recently, the first one came out early 2008.

Right. Forgot about the first one. My bad.
I think we may have exhausted the list of current and recent anarchist print publications, btw.
With the NZ & Aus stuff, I'll post in the new thread.

andrew-s
Aug 24 2009 05:35

Oh 'Lumpensim', you do yourself a great injustice Sir!

Far from wasting everyone's time, you have brought a good deal of extra attention to The Anarchist Savants Monthly and along with 'Asher', and to a lesser extent 'Gabs', have provided more than enough commentary material about the secretive sectarian Anarchist 'scene' to fill not only the next edition of TASM but many more to come!

A feat to be commended Sir!

Asher's defamatory emotional rant about the guy in NZ did trump you however in the 'how low can you go stakes', that little episode deserves a very special mention in Septembers publication.

Can't wait to read it!

Keep on 'Lumpensiming'

Cheers
Andrew

Spassmaschine
Aug 24 2009 06:45
andrew-s wrote:
Far from wasting everyone's time, you have brought a good deal of extra attention to The Anarchist Savants Monthly and along with 'Asher', and to a lesser extent 'Gabs', have provided more than enough commentary material about the secretive sectarian Anarchist 'scene' to fill not only the next edition of TASM but many more to come!
Quote:
Asher's defamatory emotional rant about the guy in NZ did trump you however in the 'how low can you go stakes', that little episode deserves a very special mention in Septembers publication.

Andrew-s, the way you have dealt with the critics in this thread has impressed and intrigued me greatly. I would be very interested to learn more about your interesting publication. From the sound of things, it's absolutely brimming with information of the highest relevance and calibre. Unfortunately, I am not sure how I might access such a publication. Could you please point me in the right direction?

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
Aug 28 2009 08:30
andrew-s wrote:
Oh 'Lumpensim', you do yourself a great injustice Sir!

............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

andrew-s
Sep 1 2009 08:53

The capitalist rulers exploit with great adroitness their understanding that:

"A skilled attack is one against which opponents do not know how to defend. A skilled defense is one which opponents do not know how to attack. Those skilled in defense are not so because of fortress walls. High walls do not guarantee security. Strong armor and effective weapons do not guarantee strength. When opponents hold firm, attack where they are unprepared. When opponents establish a battlefront, appear where you are unexpected."

The Anarchists world remains hell bent (as evidenced in this thread) on ignoring the fact that:

"If you do not truly know others or yourself, you will be imperiled in every battle. If you do not know others but know yourself, you will win one and lose one. If you know others and yourself, you will be victorious in every battle."

andrew-s

Rats's picture
Rats
Sep 3 2009 09:27

............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

andrew-s
Sep 7 2009 09:41

Thank you Gabs!

http://www.mechanarchy.com.au/energyandequity.html

andrew-s

Rats's picture
Rats
Sep 9 2009 06:16

Didn't help, i still think it's completely irrelevant. I know how to fix my bike, and i know there's nothing revolutionary about knowing how to fix my bike. At all. Ever.