Anarchist Summer School 2011, Feb 18th-20th.

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
LeftResistance's picture
LeftResistance
Jan 4 2011 20:21
Anarchist Summer School 2011, Feb 18th-20th.

http://anarchistsummerschool.weebly.com/index.html

Rats's picture
Rats
Jan 11 2011 09:50

I wanna come! I wonder how much flights are.

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
Jan 12 2011 02:19

There's a few people from Melbourne intending to go.

Rats's picture
Rats
Jan 25 2011 00:42

Program so far: http://anarchistsummerschool.weebly.com/program.html

Quote:
Friday 18th February: 'From Here to Anarchism', Mythbusting about Anarchism, Environment and Anarchism, Latin and Native American Anarchist Movements, Experiences of Capitalism.
On Friday there will also be a film in the evening on indigenous sovereignty.

Saturday 19th February: Intro to Jura Books collective, Post-colonial anarchism and anarchist people of color politics, Identity Politics and Social War, Anarchism in Practice: Workers Control, Marx's Capital for Anarchists, French anarchistic thought, History of Science and Anarchism, Anarchist 'spaces', Indigenous Australian Struggles.

Sunday 20th February: Morning: Intro to Black Rose collective and spaces, Anarcho-Feminism, Insurrectionary anarchism
Afternoon: Self-organised plenary on the anarchist movement in Australia, radical zine fair and Jura books stall.

We are planning to provide lunches each day. Stay tuned for a more finalised program soon.

I'd like to draw attention to: "Experiences of Capitalism"
Come on, its not exactly hard to fucking miss!

Also my "Snore" list:
"Post-colonial anarchism and anarchist people of color politics"
"Identity Politics and Social War"
"French anarchistic thought"

Because organising to abolish capitalism takes on a completely different meaning if you're Black or French, right?

ExtincionSpasm's picture
ExtincionSpasm
Jan 25 2011 03:16

It may also take on a completely different meaning based on "ankle girth" or the length of "lifetime list of poorly communicated ideas"... i think mine just got a little longer...

Anyway im pretty sure the summer school is accepting proposals for, and helping to provide space and for the facilitation of other workshops which may be of more interest to you in particular.

And while I can imagine us organising in smilar manners and appearances, i resent the idea that some french black person takes exactly the same meaning from our organisation as I do... of course not because s/he is french or black, but because his/er right to create and elicit meaning for her/imself from whatever if any identifiers they choose are as self determined as mine are...

If we can't be responsible for ourselves in our creations of meaning for ourselves then it is my firm opinion that we should hand over all subsequent control to iNarchy hardware and OS Runway Leopard and let Steve Jobs and Gabs decide who we are, what methods/modes of identification we may use for ourselves, and what identifiers are relevant in our "self determined" struggle for freedom...

Sorry if that came off wierd... but i had first post jitters!!!

I for one am looking forward to being challenged by any ideas that i thought were irrelevant at the Anarchist Summer School... like lunch... and books.....?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jan 25 2011 08:38

February is in winter you crazy Aussies

LeftResistance's picture
LeftResistance
Jan 26 2011 21:58

Then why is it 40C? sad

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
Jan 28 2011 02:36
Gabs wrote:
I'd like to draw attention to: "Experiences of Capitalism"
Come on, its not exactly hard to fucking miss!

Also my "Snore" list:
"Post-colonial anarchism and anarchist people of color politics"
"Identity Politics and Social War"
"French anarchistic thought"

Because organising to abolish capitalism takes on a completely different meaning if you're Black or French, right?

Are you going, Gabs?

For what it's worth, there has been a similar sentiment about the titles of some of the workshops here (and from me), though the content might be better than the title suggests, so I'm kind of zen about it all.

Besides, I'm looking forward to it, especially the Sunday. If it's a bust, then at least there's the opportunity to meet people.

ExtincionSpasm wrote:
Sorry if that came off wierd... but i had first post jitters!!!

Super weird, but don't worry about it! wink

LeftResistance's picture
LeftResistance
Jan 28 2011 08:52

I have to work on the sunday sad But hoping the capital for anarchist and the syndicalism workshops will make up for it. I wouldn't have minded the insurrectionary anarchism workshop...

LeftResistance's picture
LeftResistance
Jan 28 2011 09:17

fuck sake just noticed the stuff on capital is moved to sunday, along with the stuff on education. they trying to make friday as shit as possible?

Rats's picture
Rats
Jan 31 2011 01:59

That was a weird post, i think i understand though, "we all have our different take on things". But then that might just be my take on it, confused

Yeah Lumpen I'm going, got flights booked, all good.
I'm hoping that the content will be more impressive than the titles, hoping, clinging to that hope. I read the suggested reading for "identity politics and social war" and it was better than i expected.

Even though I don't seem to be able to put together an article for MB re: SA austerity budget, I'm gonna do that very soon and develop that into a presentation to give at the summer school. Particularly about the difficulty we've had in making even the slightest impact on the political discourse of the, now slumbering, workers' movement.

And LR: I'd like to raise that the conference dig deep and pay you more per hour to be at the conference than your boss will to work that day. For our sake i hope you're not making award wage...

SourDough
Jan 31 2011 04:00

The titles of workshops... really? For fuck sake people.

And i think everyone on here is comprised of no more than what their user name describes them as.

Anyway, as person responsible for 'Identity Poiltics and Social War', start by looking at the reading attached to it... I'm sure everyone on here will find plenty wrong with it (which is fine) but it's a critique of identity politics.

Also y'all should put on some workshops. Not that i'm involved in the organising of this at all. Good to hear some folk from around the place are thinking of coming. Can have it out ion person.

ps- not that i'm advocating typical identity politics formations but yes, the experience of abolishing capitalism is different if you're black... But then that experience is also obviously very different amongst different black people...

LeftResistance's picture
LeftResistance
Feb 1 2011 06:02

Eh I got the time off, looking forwards too it. Dragging two newbies to the movement along too.

@ndy's picture
@ndy
Feb 1 2011 12:12

I'm sure SourDough will rise to the occasion.

Rats's picture
Rats
Feb 2 2011 08:42

Well I didn't have much more than titles to go on while trying to decide whether to spend all my money on flights to come along, so i think it's a fairly important way to judge workshop content.

Anyway, I did read the suggested reading, and realising its a critique I gladly remove it from my snore list.

Sourdough rising, gold, Andy.

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
Feb 6 2011 10:13
Gabs wrote:
Well I didn't have much more than titles to go on while trying to decide whether to spend all my money on flights to come along, so i think it's a fairly important way to judge workshop content.

Ditto. Might also be worth noting the titles just generated some discussion (and I mean about a minute's worth) and we're still coming. Didn't think it's was that big a deal.

@ndy wrote:
I'm sure SourDough will rise to the occasion.

Typical joke from the slack batard.

Rats's picture
Rats
Feb 12 2011 02:02

SLACK BATARD HAHAHA

Melbourne anarchism: leading the way in bread jokes.

Will the slack batard also rise to the occasion? coming to sydney? make party?

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
Feb 12 2011 06:23
Sydney Morning Herald wrote:
TEA AND ANARCHY

SUMMER can be tough for anarchists. Black hoodies are stifling at the beach, swimming between the flags undermines your insurrectionary credentials, and merrily licking an ice-cream doesn't exactly scream ''smash the state''. Luckily, some bright spark has come up with Anarchist Summer School. For three totally radical days from February 18, in locations throughout the inner west, anarcho-summerschoolists can enjoy a curiously well-ordered program, including workshops on anarchist theory and practice, anarcho-feminism and patch-making. There will even be a tea party. ''If you want to help organise summer school, then please contact us!'' the website reads. ''We're pretty friendly.''

And, it seems, with all those cuppas and needlework, not unlike a branch of the CWA - with gasmasks.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/the-diary/a-big-day-for-julian-assange-20110206-1aifn.html

Gabs wrote:
Will the slack batard also rise to the occasion? coming to sydney? make party?

Perhaps he would rather loaf about, or maybe he doesn't have the bread to go.

…Damn it, I can't think of any more puns. I was on such a roll.

Rats's picture
Rats
Feb 13 2011 16:04

Was "such a roll" intentional??

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
Feb 14 2011 07:18
Baps wrote:
Was "such a roll" intentional??

I donut know what you're talking about.

I'm reliably told there is a session on Anarchists in Indonesia, though it doesn't seem to be on the latest program. Should be really interesting. Only four sleeps to go!

Rats's picture
Rats
Feb 21 2011 00:24

TOTALLY BODACIOUS SUMMER SCHOOL, BIG PAT ON THE HEAD FOR ORGANISING COLLECTIVE AND PARTICIPANTS!!

yes, capitals were necessary.

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
Feb 21 2011 12:37

You missed my late night impromptu talk at Jura about religion being a mental illness. Went well.

LeftResistance's picture
LeftResistance
Feb 21 2011 19:46

What came out of the all in discussion?

It was pretty good, a few of the workshops I was hoping the discussion would be more practical. But fun none the less.