Anti-racist rally in Melbourne, April 9

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
@ndy's picture
@ndy
Apr 4 2010 23:36
Anti-racist rally in Melbourne, April 9

The 'Australian Defence League'/Australian Protectionist Party/Southern Cross Soldiers and assorted other loons are holding a mini Nuremberg Rally / MASS RALLY AGAINST IMMIGRANTS AND ISLAM -- to defend Australia from WOMEN being STONNED / forced CIRCUMCISIONS by DIRTY ARABIC BUTCHERS / multiple WIVES -- in Melbourne on Friday April 9.

A counter-rally has also been organised:

Date: Friday, April 9, 2010
Time: Midday–3pm

It would be nice to see some anarchists there, especially as this is the ADL's debut, and this is Melbourne not f*cking Cronulla. Note that the refs to women being STONNED etc is taken directly from the publicity material the bizarros have produced in order to promote their rally.

princess mob
Apr 5 2010 16:29

An email I got about this said that "genuine unions and genuine labour movement organisations are asked to appoint marshals." Are there many fake unions in Melbourne these days?

(I'd go to the rally if I was in Melbourne.)

@ndy's picture
@ndy
Apr 5 2010 16:58

Are there many fake unions in Melbourne these days?

Amazingly enough, the Amalgamated Shoplifters & Vandals' Union has had to issue a number of cease-and-desist notices to similarly-titled rivals recently. Also, the SDA has been masquerading as a union for decades (although to be fair, only the most gullible have been fooled).

Seriously tho'... dunno what that's about. I'll try and find out but. Also, Mark Pavic, the leader of the nutzi faction in the NSW Humanists, got himself elected VP in February.

ChickenNugget's picture
ChickenNugget
Apr 10 2010 01:36
Quote:
Also, the SDA has been masquerading as a union for decades (although to be fair, only the most gullible have been fooled).

can you elaborate on this?

(i dig your picture too @ndy... i guess it isnt of you though?)

@ndy's picture
@ndy
Apr 10 2010 03:48

I mean that the SDA -- the ‘Shop Distributive and Allied Employees’ Association’ (SDA), aka “the Shoppies” -- has a well-deserved rep for the being the worst union in Australia and a sinecure for right-wing Catholics belonging to either the ALP or DLP.

http://slackbastard.anarchobase.com/?p=10902

Inre the rally:

http://slackbastard.anarchobase.com/?p=15850

bastarx
Apr 10 2010 04:27

What about the Australian Workers Union - aka Australia's Worst Union?

@ndy's picture
@ndy
Apr 10 2010 05:40

Look, I'm the first to admit that the competition is extremely stiff, but I think that the SDA has the edge over the AWU, if only because it has moar members, and hence theoretical weight. Further, the AWU has actually engaged in strike action (in the late 1800s I believe), whereas I understand that the SDA's idea of industrial action is doubling the size of its donation to the ALP. No doubt the question will continue to be discussed for however many years lie in-between now and global ecological collapse, and as always I welcome comradely debate.

Spassmaschine
Apr 10 2010 14:24
@ndy wrote:
Look, I'm the first to admit that the competition is extremely stiff, but I think that the SDA has the edge over the AWU, if only because it has moar members, and hence theoretical weight. Further, the AWU has actually engaged in strike action (in the late 1800s I believe), whereas I understand that the SDA's idea of industrial action is doubling the size of its donation to the ALP. No doubt the question will continue to be discussed for however many years lie in-between now and global ecological collapse, and as always I welcome comradely debate.

yes, in the interests of not wasting what little tme remains, shall we agree that the SDA are quite shit, but the gullible ones are those who believe that any of the other unions are qualitatively differen?[/drunk cunt]

bastarx
Apr 11 2010 02:12

"Good" or "bad", left or right I quite agree that all unions are shit.

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
Apr 11 2010 11:19

A post about the rally is up on the MAC site: http://mac.anarchobase.com/?p=137

And yeah, it's always a dilemma about whether you join a shit union. I decided I'll join the shit union this week now that I've got more hours. cry

ChickenNugget's picture
ChickenNugget
Apr 12 2010 13:56

thanks for the comment @ndy..
i am quite aware of the SDA and its reputation.
I was just being vague as to not influence a certain response.