Ark tribe solidarity rally

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rats's picture
Rats
Aug 3 2009 06:05
Ark tribe solidarity rally

Ark tribe - 2nd person to be targetted by the ABCC's gestapo powers - goes to court on 11th of august facing six months jail. He was called to an ABCC hearing after signing a petition on a building site at Flinders university regarding shocking safety on-site. He didn't attend the hearing, which is why he's facing jail time. Workers in most industries don't have to consider dying at work. There's not much in an office or fast food outlet that's gonna kill ya. But the government insists in the name of productivity, that construction workers should have no right to organise against dodgey bosses..

Anyway, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofB0TKkNPmM
this video hopefully explains it a little better. Rally at the courthouse is at 10.30am Elizabeth Magistrates Court - not far from elizabeth train station(on the gawler line)
Will continue updates on the outcome of the case.
xx

Rats's picture
Rats
Aug 12 2009 04:19

Yesterdays rally was fairly huge(i thought) considering it was at 10.30am in a courthouse in one of the furthest metropolitan suburbs. 200 people i think, maybe nearing 300? Judging by us having given out 50 leaflets to less than a quarter of the crowd in about 2 minutes.

5 political forces made an appearance, including the greens, democrats, an independant, 'free australia party'(newly formed party of 'motorcycle enthusiasts'(for anyone internationally, bikers have been targeted by absurd state powers recently, and have formed a political party)) and sociallist alliance. Didn't feel like the anarchist flag needed to be paraded as such with only two of us there, so we also didn't make a point of our being there(a little shy). Young labor didn't seem to want to make voice of their appearance after the crowd chanted shame in regards to the labor party's stance on the Australian building & construction commission, and their failure of any labor politician to make an appearance. That was funny, jokes all-round.
And i think every union in the state had flags/members present.

Speakers upheld an overall typical nationalistic tone(as usual), such as 'ark tribe is doing what every aussie should be doing, standing up for their rights!' 'he's an australian hero, like Ned Kelly or (some other bush-ranger).' which is a strange statement as it's clear that all those 'aussie' bosses and politicians seem hell-bent on destroying rights for the rest of us. The only time i felt like heckling was "like ned kelly, he's been pushed around, forced to do things he shouldn't have to.." where i was too shy to heckle with "but he still hasn't shot any cops!"
Would have got a laugh or two, especially from the "motorcycle enthusiasts".
Anyway.. to my understanding a motion was passed at the ACTU(amazingly..) congress, approving(not that it needed to be) nation-wide industrial action should ark tribe recieve the $22k fine or the 6 month jail time. My analysis is 2 options for the state: One is that the charges are dropped/suspended sentance, with the state not wanting to antagonise the situation because of obvious union supported worker militancy. The other is that the state will pull a margaret thatcher, and take a stand against worker militancy, and 'stick by their guns', something KRudd is always going on about.

So as much as i don't think rudd/gillard want to fight it out with the unions.. i just as much think they do want to, to prove that they are infact, almighty.

That's all, please critique.
xx

Hungry56
Aug 12 2009 09:45

Wish I'd come, but my work situation is too precarious didn't want to take a sickie.

Labour I think wouldn't want to be blamed for fining Ark, but maybe they could shift the blame off themselves "it's not up to us, we don't control the courts?" He won't get jail, the main point of that was the threat. But if Ark gets off with not even a fine, then the State is saying not to even worry about the ABCC, it's all show. But Labour have been adamant that they support some form of the ABCC.

Rats's picture
Rats
Aug 13 2009 07:19

I just read that the judge agreed to have the location of the next appearance changed to the city court! October 30th is the date, i am so keen to advertise that rally, gotta make ourselves an internationalist leaflet for it, otherwise i'm scared people are gonna start waving australian flags and wanking on about bush-rangers..

Ned kelly's situation and that facing ark tribe is so uncomparable it's not funny. The only commonality is that some guy's getting fucked over by the state. Might aswell say
"ark tribe is a hero, just like roger rabbit in that movie - who framed roger rabbit,"

Actually, i like this comparisson, that movie rules.

Hungry56
Aug 13 2009 08:18

"Ark Tribe is just like Noah's Ark, they both had the State riding their arse?"

It's great that the next court case is gonna be in the city, the rally should be massive. Start saving money for STICKER PAPER for posters.

There is no way to do an internationalist leaflet as it's not an international issue. As far as I know, the ABCC was created before the economic crisis began, so we couldn't tie it into that. It would just be "The only way to save Ark is INTERNATIONAL PROLETARIAN REVOLUTION."

knightrose
Aug 13 2009 08:27

Any chance you guys could write a short report of what's going on for Resistance? We're putting the next issue together at the moment.

Hungry56
Aug 13 2009 10:14

When's the due date? We could do it by Sunday. Around how many words?

@ndy's picture
@ndy
Aug 13 2009 11:35

Thanks for the report Gabs.

Dunno about critique, but a few comments maybe:

1. KRudd & Co have made it v clear that they support the work of the ABCC. As such, they may trigger a crisis of legitimacy if they do not support the outcomes it produces (such as the fining/imprisonment of Ark).

2. The nationalist sentiment expressed at the demo is typical, but it should not distract from the issue, which is the employment of punitive measures against workers in the construction industry standing up for themselves, their rights, and that of their fellow workers (of whatever nationality).

3. The ABCC has also had a hand in a dispute in Melbourne @ the West Gate Bridge. The AMWU and CFMEU are currently being threatened w massive, possibly crippling, fines if they are judged responsible for the actions of a few of their members who confronted some scabs. See :

Quote:
Brawling bridge unions face financial ruin
Ben Schneiders
The Age
August 13, 2009

TWO powerful unions face potential financial ruin following a bitter industrial dispute at the West Gate Bridge that court documents allege included numerous death threats, a life-threatening car chase and attacks on property...

4. In addition to resorting to the ABCC, KRudd and construction industry bosses are also relying upon divisions within the union movement, esp the support given them by Australia's Worst Union (AWU) -- a stronghold of the ALP right -- over and against the AMWU and CFMEU.

It's a risky situation for all concerned, I think.

On Ark : http://www.arkstribe.org.au/
On the F.R.E.E. Australia Party : http://slackbastard.anarchobase.com/?p=3579

Rats's picture
Rats
Aug 14 2009 06:54
Quote:
"The only way to save Ark is INTERNATIONAL PROLETARIAN REVOLUTION."

It's the truth and everyone knows it.
We should do sticker paper for the more surveilled areas cos it'd be faster, but paste for posters everywhere else. I don't need to write this here, the meeting is in an hour!

Hungry56
Aug 14 2009 07:15

Hey Andy do you think you could write the article for AFED instead of us? They said around 300-400 words but they might edit it shorter.