Dispute resolution in an anarchist society

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
ites's picture
ites
Feb 14 2013 10:37
Dispute resolution in an anarchist society

Discussing such matters with people who know more than I do about the subject, apparently there are 4 possible stages of dispute resolution. They are as follows:

1. Grievance. You tell someone you're upset about something they've done and ask politely and respectfully for them to do something about it.

2. Mediation. You've failed to get an adequate response to the grievance you've put forward, so you bring others into a more formal process to aid dispute resolution with the help of impartial third parties.

3. Complaint. If mediation fails you can proceed to a written complaint with all that involves in terms of preparation of evidence, disciplinary proceedings and possible disciplinary measures in the event of an adverse finding.

4. Litigation. The disciplinary proceedings fail in which case you dodge accusations of being a fake anarchist from more revolutionary than thou types, sell everything you own and hire a lawyer.

I like the idea of engaging in mediation personally because it would appear to provide a means of reducing the possibility of being able to make vexatious complaints on the basis of half-truths to settle personal scores.

The issue of justice in an anarchist society is an interesting one. We should talk more about how we would envision that to play out once we had substituted natural justice based on a regime of workers' control for law designed to perpetuate the economic and social privileges of the opulent few. Another good one would be how we would want our practise in the present to speak to that given the relationship between means and outcomes.

Not saying we need to talk about it right now, but as a general thing definitely worth thinking about imo.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Feb 10 2013 16:19

The issue of justice in an anarchist society is an interesting one.

wink

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Feb 10 2013 18:17

It is strange that this thread was started today as I’ve just been thinking about the same topic.

On the thread regarding the book ‘The Grapes of Wrath’, Steven mentioned that he was planning to watch the movie of the book. It got me to thinking of any other movie starring Henry Fonda which was as deeply moving both in his performance and in the subject matter. The only film which suggested itself was ‘The Ox-Bow Incident’ (1943), based on a novel by Walter Van Tilburg Clark.

It has been called the first modern western and I have always thought it raises issues of particular interest/problems for anarchists. I would recommend it to anyone who doesn’t mind a depressing film and wishes to address the problem justice in a society without ‘the law’.

I’m half way through reading Paul Preston’s book ‘The Spanish Holocaust’ and could imagine Ox-Bow incidents a-plenty in a period of revolutionary change.

ites's picture
ites
Feb 14 2013 10:12
Auld-bod wrote:
I’m half way through reading Paul Preston’s book ‘The Spanish Holocaust’ and could imagine Ox-Bow incidents a-plenty in a period of revolutionary change.

I suspect we don't need to wait for periods of revolutionary change for those, somehow.

ites's picture
ites
Feb 14 2013 10:12

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ox-Bow_Incident