A-Federation Meeting Melbourne - August

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rats's picture
Rats
Jul 21 2011 06:35
A-Federation Meeting Melbourne - August

At our meeting last night we figured it'd be best to start some broad online discussions between MAC, Jura & Organise via this forum. One of the problems I outlined from the 2008 Federation convergence was that though there was plenty of discussions about how lots of individuals thought a federation could look like, there wasn't that much in the way of how federations are organised already.

We think our best bet is to discuss and conclude on a Model to follow to create the federation - changing bits here and there to suit our own context. We briefly went over Constitutions of NEFAC(usa/canada), FAI(italy) and Afed UK, and aim to have a discussion group(here) that's going to research a variety of federations, historical and contemporary, from around the globe, to give ourselves a better understanding of the inner workings of a federation.

A few practical idea's we'd like to initiate discussion on are:
Regular online chats between elected delegates in each city - once a month - via some IRC program/website

Syncronise campaigns we're working on better - e.g. Kulon Progo Solidarity, expanding Solidarity with indonesian & philippines anarchist groups(who we've done some fundraising for), collaborating on/sharing statements and propaganda around national campaigns we involve ourselves in, etc

Discuss with Mutiny and Melbourne black the idea of unifying their publishing efforts and energy, joining the local branches of the federation, and using their experience and energy to establish a paper for the federation. This might prove to be totally not the direction they want to head, but we'd like to see it discussed.

If MAC and Jura folks want to detail whatever discussions they've been having recently about it, that's what this is all about!

That's all from me for now!

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
Jul 21 2011 08:23

What meeting, where and with who?

Melbourne Black isn't anything to do with MAC, really, even though it might've looked that way. Dunno if they are still publishing, but neither of the editors are in MAC.

Sounds good though. The best thing to do would be to contact MAC directly.

I've been out of the loop for a few weeks, so apologies if this is something other MACsters know about already. Is there an A-Fed meeting in August?

klas batalo's picture
klas batalo
Jul 21 2011 22:48

if you ever have any questions about how NEFAC implements its constitution in practice and generally how we operate feel free to PM me, i am federal secretary. we are starting to experiment with new ways of operating, etc so it might be interesting to compare notes...

best of luck in your endeavors!

Rats's picture
Rats
Jul 22 2011 02:36

Thanks sabotage!

Lumps:
It was just a general suggestion we'd like to put forward to mutiny & melbourne black collectives - to possibly join a future fed and use their combined skills to run the paper(and teach others how to do this, too).

Other MAC folks know, get back on the can-and-string tongue.
At first it was gonna be an informal meeting, but we've already discussed it a bit and just want to go ahead with it - and there's gonna be Sydney folks there too, so just grab on and run with it tongue

Maybe 2008 just wasn't the right time, but it seems like the best step forward right now.

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
Jul 25 2011 11:45

Ah. Cool cool. I think I already heard about the meeting but thought it was about something else. See you then for some drinks maybe!

Rats's picture
Rats
Jul 25 2011 13:51

What's this 'maybe'?? YOU WILL SEE ME AND THERE WILL BE DRINKS!

Jared
Jul 26 2011 09:31

Exciting developments comrades, I wish you all the best with it

Jared
Jul 26 2011 09:32

I like how the FAI (Spain) developed through the use of Liason Committees: essentially what you are proposing — that people are delegated to liase between groups between AGM's/meetings

klas batalo's picture
klas batalo
Jul 26 2011 21:24

yeah as far as i know all the local affinity groups coordinated through a local council which went to a regional council and then a penisular council.

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
Aug 18 2011 14:18

…and by 'A-Fed meeting' we actually meant "informal bbq".

Hey, and I thought the Anarchist Bookfair was much better than I expected. And were there a lot of 9/11 conspiracy nuts or was it just the same guy talking to a lot of people?

Mouzone
Sep 10 2011 11:21

Was it this guy?

http://www.meetup.com/wearechange-sydney/members/9017466/?memberId=9017466&op=

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
Sep 11 2011 12:12

Nope, just some guy who didn't like Chomsky because Chomsky didn't believe the 9/11 theories.

And that site is awesomely crazy.

Quote:
Film: FIRE WATER: Australia's Industrial Fluoridation Disgrace - : A Sapphire Eyes Productions documentary exposing the systematic industrial waste poisoning of Australian drinking water supplies.
Quote:
Hyde Park Rally – “The Science Doesn’t Justify a Carbon Tax”
Quote:
Help us Promote 9/11 Film at Marrickville Organic Food Market!

And shouldn't an Australian group be calling it an "11/9" film?