Ford Australia to close Broadmeadows and Geelong plants, 1,200 jobs to go

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Common Struggle
May 23 2013 03:20
Ford Australia to close Broadmeadows and Geelong plants, 1,200 jobs to go

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-23/ford-to-close-geelong-and-broadmeadows-plants/4707960

Gillard gave them 34 million to stay open until the end of 2016. Does this mean Centrelink will be getting into them to get their corporate welfare check back? Otherwise, what a disaster.

vicent
May 24 2013 09:35

i know very little about this sort of thing, but when general motors collapsed in america, many leftists proposed to rally the community to take the machinery and start building useful things in a co op like high speed trains. it never happened but it seemed like a good idea.

http://www.zcommunications.org/a-conversation-by-noam-chomsky

wobblies and zapatistas also

Common Struggle
May 25 2013 16:06

When the capitalist economy collapses people are going to have to take over the means of production and keep their workplaces running regardless of whether they're profitable or not, otherwise society is going to grind to a halt and everyone will starve.

I'd almost be inclined to say that there's far more potential for the realisation of a regime of economic democracy and workers' control through this scenario than the traditional "organised workers overthrow the bourgeoisie and collectivise the means of production" paradigm anarchists tend to work within, or at least make some pretence about working within.

vicent
May 26 2013 08:50

ok, so do you mean that capitalism will inevitably fail, and workers will be forced to take control?
in that case is there any point discussing or doing anything to help this transition? and when do you think this will happen?
i hope this doesn't sound antagonistic!

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
May 26 2013 10:15

Horselover Fat #3
When the capitalist economy collapses people are going to have to take over the means of production and keep their workplaces running regardless of whether they're profitable or not, otherwise society is going to grind to a halt and everyone will starve.

I cannot imagine why the ruling class would allow their economic system to collapse without a struggle and allow the workers to ‘inherit’ the mean of production. Capitalism is always in a crisis, its competing components generating expansion followed by depression. The state regulates these self-destructive forces in the over-all interests of the ruling class – so why would it voluntarily abdicate its role to the interests of the working class?

Historically the state sets worker against worker (using race, religion, etc.) and starts wars of expansion/liquidation of competitors. It will use any means to maintain the interests of the elite who structured it. Therefore a large section of the working class must have some understanding of its nature to dismantle it and the economic system it protects.

Ablokeimet
May 26 2013 10:19
Horselover Fat wrote:
When the capitalist economy collapses people are going to have to take over the means of production and keep their workplaces running ...

I'd almost be inclined to say that there's far more potential for the realisation of a regime of economic democracy and workers' control through this scenario than the traditional "organised workers overthrow the bourgeoisie and collectivise the means of production"

There's no contradiction. If you look at the Russian Revolution, you'll see that the Russian economy entered a major crisis during World War I, with many bosses just walking away from their businesses. The workers took them over and kept them running. This, however, only occurred in a minority of workplaces. The working class still needed to organise to overthrow the Provisional Government and transfer power to the Soviets (though the Soviets took the wrong course the very next day, when they elected a Council of People's Commissars to be an executive cabinet over them - but that's another story).

It stands to reason that a workers' revolution will occur in the context of a major crisis of capitalism, since it will be the crisis that discredits capitalism and causes the growth of revolutionary feeling in the working class to accelerate as options for reform lose credibility..