2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lugius's picture
Lugius
Jun 20 2014 02:36
Militant tactics?

Ablokeimet wrote:

Quote:
combination of the tactics employed and the drop-off in membership meant that the long term benefits were limited. If substantial membership had been retained, this could have been used as a basis for further organising and struggle. If the tactics employed had been more militant, the workers would have taken the lessons of these tactics into their future work, whether in their current jobs as delivery drivers or in other jobs in the future.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it was a waste of time. Getting $590k out of the boss is a genuine achievement and the ASF deserves credit for it, especially as the SDA was given a black eye in the process. My point is that it looks like it will stand as an isolated achievement, rather than leading on to greater things.

I'm interested in how we could define 'militant tactics' in general and what Ablokeimet had in mind in particular.

Initially, the ASF Brisbane were acting in solidarity with their member who was a delivery driver. Subsequently, other drivers joined and a new industrial affiliate was created. How could have it been done differently? What would have been the best tactics?

Ablokeimet
Jun 22 2014 01:26
Lugius wrote:
I'm interested in how we could define 'militant tactics' in general and what Ablokeimet had in mind in particular.

Initially, the ASF Brisbane were acting in solidarity with their member who was a delivery driver. Subsequently, other drivers joined and a new industrial affiliate was created. How could have it been done differently? What would have been the best tactics?

My description was worded carefully. I deliberately refrained from criticising the tactics used because I wasn' t sufficiently acquainted with the facts on the ground to pass judgement on the choice to use them.

My intention, rather, was to connect the tactics used to the consequences of using them. Because militant tactics weren't used, there was no opportunity for the drivers to build the experience of militant collective action, together with lessons learnt, which could have been carried with them after the dispute. Lugius is implying that militant tactics weren't possible, due to the numbers of workers involved compared with the numbers needed to shut down Domino's operations. I won't contradict him on that, since he had better access to the facts on the ground at the time. Regardless of whether militant tactics could have been implemented successfully, however, the lack of them had consequences for the result.