New AFL season

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
magnifico
Mar 20 2008 13:54
New AFL season

Thought the start of a new season was a good excuse to make sure everyone has seen this awesome article:-

http://libcom.org/history/1883-today-the-radical-history-of-aussie-rules-football

Anyone else into this? I'm looking forward to watching as much as possible on setanta and eurosport, hoping the young Crows team can fulfil their potential a little early this season!

anna x
Mar 22 2008 06:48

Fuck the Crows it's the mighty Hawks all the way this season neutral... Ok, so maybe next season. It was good to revisit that article too - reminded me of growing up where I did and how mental people were/are about their SANFL footy. Centrals was the team and having car tyres painted the teams colours in your front yard was the thing to do. We lived just up the road from the great Johnny Platten cool.
This goes out to @ndy - your team may have a chance now that Buckley's gone tongue.
all the best.
gregg.

knightrose
Mar 22 2008 12:22

I went to school just next to Glenelg Oval. I went a lot in my short time there. That was back in the sixties. Centrals were the new kids on the block and regularly got hammered. Now I'm really sad and still listen to the Bays over the internet, if I can get up early enough to tune in to the mad christian station that broadcasts games live.

knightrose
Mar 22 2008 12:23

Oh and anyone over here can watch footy live. It's played in quite a few towns. Our local side are Manchester Mosquitoes.

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
Mar 22 2008 13:47

Its such a bizarre sport. I've never got into it at all, not that I've really tried that hard. I'd take rugby, league or football over aussie rules any day. Aussie rules does shit all over american football though, not that that's particularly difficult.

magnifico
Mar 31 2008 21:53
grreggg wrote:
it's the mighty Hawks all the way this season neutral... neutral Ok, so maybe next season

Top of the ladder eek

knightrose wrote:
Manchester Mosquitoes

haha cool name, could easily have gone with 'Manchester Marsupials' or something but went with the silly option cool

@ndy's picture
@ndy
Apr 2 2008 10:29

All the most advanced segments of the working class barrack for the Collingwood Magpies.

ChrisS
Apr 7 2008 09:37

Wait. AFL??? I think I've heard of that. Is that that really crappy sport that they play in that little area underneath New South Wales? I remember seeing something really retarded once where a bunch of guys were running around like retards (they were most likely capitalists) throwing around this ball for no apparent reason. I think that might of been AFL. Sorry for my ignorance guys but I'm used to watching real sports like rugby league. You guys know what rugby league is right? Its kinda like AFL the only difference is it makes sense.

anna x
Apr 7 2008 10:39

Yeah yeah, isn't rugby league is that sport where a good game gets 13000 to a game whereas a shit game of AFL gets 30000+... Now I remember tongue. Even the A-league are getting bigger crowds. Last season I went to a Queensland Roar home game and there were 32000 people there. Hey ChrisS, why is it that league is only played in NSW and Qld whereas AFL kicks arse in ALL states? And even AFL is now bigger in Qld with the Lions being one of the biggest clubs membership wise in the league and nearly packing the GABBA every game...
Seriously though, I love league as well - Go the Rabbits! - working class heroes through and through!
all the best.
gregg.

knightrose
Apr 7 2008 11:45

I saw the Rabbitos play here in Oldham a few years ago. When they were touring after they'd been kicked out of the league and before they got back in.

Lots of olk at Oldham RL have fond memories of them. And a few where their shirts to matches.