newspaper project in Melbourne

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
vicent
Apr 8 2015 12:06
newspaper project in Melbourne

I have been thinking that the best activity in melbourne would be publishing and distributing a newspaper like workers wild west , I have only read the first edition but it is really good, the simple and popular language (unlike the condescending workerism of Class War) and the focus on working life and resistance (local and international) would hopefully encourage working class self realisation (?) and self organization.
What do folk think about the viability and difficulty of such a project? Also has anybody "mapped" the working class composition of Melbourne? (Did I use composition correctly?) If so what are the best sectors to engage in? Workers wild west focusses on warehousing which has greatly increased in importance in London due to online shopping, is it the same situation in Melbourne? I thought warehouses are now solely used to house rich hipsters

vicent
Apr 8 2015 12:09

https://angryworkersworld.wordpress.com/

https://angryworkersworld.wordpress.com/2015/03/02/workerswildwest-trial...

With Sober Senses's picture
With Sober Senses
Jun 17 2015 13:06

That sounds like a great idea. Best of luck with it.
I don't know if anyone has done much recent class composition work in Melbourne , I'm sure they have but I just haven't heard of it. The way I understand militant research into class composition isn't a simple starting point but an ongoing practice of investigation, discussion and agitation. Hope that isn't too patronising.
cheers
Dave

vicent
Jun 18 2015 00:30

How dare you?
wink no problem I dont know much about that autonomist field, and to be honest I don't see how it is that effective, as much as I like your blog, so many activists aim their writings at each other as opposed to the 99% of people. Also I'm not sure about participating an agitational paper, more a paper which simply gives workers information on capitalisms latest maneuvers and most importantly stories of resistance, locally and internationally
But its just an idea, hopefully something concrete will eventually happen