Public Housing Group, ( Melbourne, Victoria)

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
jeremytrewindixon
Jun 8 2011 04:37
Public Housing Group, ( Melbourne, Victoria)

Trying to get together a broad-based group as below, would be disappointed if there was no Anarchist involvement (apart from me of course). I know some people don't like to work in "broad-based" groups feeling that too many compromises are necessary. But housing is a survival thing in my view, it is not hugely different in principle from being active in the workplace.

Anyway, the following is the standard ad as it has appeared on Facebook and Melbourne Indymedia and I believe also Green Left Weekly.........

Time
19 June · 14:00 - 17:00
Railway House, 20 Solly Ave North Carlton (near cnr Lygon & Park Sts)

Aim is to set up an organization to "defend and extend" public housing. We want not only to resist the present plans in Victoria to transfer large amount of public housing stock to the "housing associations" but to support public housing as a social good that should be available to all, like clean water or public schooling

Plans for event are still fluid at this stage but there is a BBQ available and we expect to have a few speakers. The main point of the get together is for people to talk to each other and begin to organize an effective group. This page can be used to begin that process.

Railway House is the neighbourhood house close to the Princes Hill housing estate.

jeremytrewindixon
Jun 27 2011 03:35

Well, that went well....There's a follow up meeting at Jika Jika Community Centre, Sunday 3rd July 12-3.00pm.

Jika Jika Community Centre is in Northcote, opposite Westgarth Station, cnr of Union and Plant Sts......near cnr of High and Westgarth Sts.

Anarchist input would be good.

-j

jeremytrewindixon
Sep 13 2013 23:56

Well...we didn't get a whole lot of Anarchist input. Maybe Anarchists are just cool to deal with the reffos and bogans (roughly "chavs"). Last year a by-election in our area came up, and I didn't even think about ti from an ideological viewpoint, I just thought "thank-you god, a chance to cut through". So one of our people, the lovely Kate Borland, put herself through the trouble and expense of running as a minor candidate and got, along with a few hundred votes the status with media as a "public housing advocate". We put a spiel on the back of our how-to-vote cards and worked the booths near the housing estates and got our message out - I heard stuff we'd said on the htvs repeated on mainstream talkback radio - only once but I don't listen to talkback radio much.

Se we did it again this past federal election and plan to do it again at the stat eelctions next year. Because it is the only way we have so far found to get a little publicity for the ongoing privatization of public housing in Australia. When people tell em I'm not an Anarchist anymore I always say "no, you are confusing us with left communists. My criticisms of the electoral system remain unchanged but I will use it if I must"

Anyway, just thought I'd update this.

woooo
Sep 14 2013 15:29

What's happening with the smith street blocks near 3cr ? There was a big campaign ?