Racism, conspiracies and imperialism.

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
baboon
Jul 18 2013 15:07
Racism, conspiracies and imperialism.

"Third. Conspiracy theory. It’s boring. It’s boring repeating the same scandalous scheme, of people masturbating themselves with finding another evident proof to discredit whatever happens as the result of secret manipulation. It’s nothing to be excited with. Power holders will always seek to co-opt and control the course of events to serve their own interests and maintain their hegemony and dominance. Arabs not only have to face the reality of years of European colonialism and US imperialism but also face new local struggles as regimes which have been in power for decades are toppled and new actors via for power and control over the people. The reality of the strength of US imperialism in the region, also precludes the possibility of any one coming to power without making a pact with the devil (US) which will seek to benefit from the situation emerging on the ground in any way possible. But to be honest we are sick of these Western-centric and somewhat racist arguments thats Arabs cannot be agents of their own destiny without the US dictating the course of events. The simplistic  vision of the world of conspiracy theorists brings with it a deeply hidden  belief in the lack of ability of people to decide by
 themselves and present them as just marionettes activated by strings held by a few influential demi-gods playing their virtual game. It also brings defeatism putting into question all efforts undertaken to change the world. So better stay at home? For when you go out for sure USA will use it."

This, I think, was a response to a couple of posts that I made on the Egypt thread and I'm opening a thread here because I don't want to derail that one. Just one point Mark: I don't suspect a conspiracy, but when you say "we" above who are you talking about?

There is no discredit intended in either of my posts, implicit or explicit, to the social movements in Egypt, and Turkey for that matter. I am quite clear that both of these movements, international in nature, represent a barrier to the spread of war in the region, maybe only temporary, and have put a spoke in the wheels of imperialist machinations in the region and beyond.

It wasn't racist to denounce the black bourgeoisie brought to power in South Africa by the US, along with significant capitalist interests of that country, Britain and South Africa itself. It is not racist to want to identify the enemies of the working class whatever the colour of their skin or wherever they come from. That's not "Western-centric", it's internationalist.

The history of the major role of the British, French and Americans in the creation of the countries of the Middle East and their continued dominance over the regimes of this region is there for anyone to see. Similarly for the Cold War and the attempts of Russia to "get in on the act" locally. The eight-year long Iran/Iraq War from 1980, with its ten million killed in first world war battle conditions, in which the US and Britain backed Saddam (and his use of chemical weaponry) was something of a watershed and presaged the collapse of the eastern bloc (Russia wasn't involved in this war in a significant way - it was collapsing) and a whole new period of an imperialist free-for-all opened up. George Bush Snr. called it the period of "peace and prosperity".

This has obviously had an effect on the Middle East given its economic and strategic importance and also on the manoeuvring of the various major powers and their relationships with the local powers of the region. We are more and more seeing the ruling classes of countries like Qatar, Turkey, Saudi Arabia and even Israel, "deciding for themselves" but that doesn't mean we should support these gangsters being "agents of their own destiny" against the wishes of the US Godfather. Nationalism and democracy are big dangers to the social movements in the Middle East.

One major factor in the present situation is the weakening - despite its massive strength - of the USA's power and reach. Events in Egypt show this, as well as the complete and utter failures of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and also the war in Libya, a country on the edge of explosion into various factions where hundreds of militias rule their own roosts, as "agents of their own destiny" you might say. This is not to mention the chaos from this British, French and US "triumph" which has spread Islamic fundamentalism through the Sahel, deeper into Africa and directly into the war in Syria. Everyone knew where they were in the Cold War, the lines not to be crossed but now centrifugal tendencies dominate, making the situation much more dangerous for the working class. And we can see where the working class is weaker, Libya and Syria for example, how imperialism, particularly the major imperialisms, fill the void.

A link here to a relevant piece on Syria:
http://en.internationalism.org/worldrevolution/201307/8947/war-syria-exp...

Mark.
Jul 18 2013 17:33
baboon wrote:
This, I think, was a response to a couple of posts that I made on the Egypt thread and I'm opening a thread here because I don't want to derail that one. Just one point Mark: I don't suspect a conspiracy, but when you say "we" above who are you talking about?

Actually this was an article reposted from Tahrir ICN. I didn't write it and it wasn't posted with any intention either to endorse it or respond to any previous posts on the thread. I didn't put it in quotes as it's quite long and I find the way libcom does quotes makes them hard to read.

Lugius's picture
Lugius
Jul 18 2013 23:14

Very interesting. But why is it posted on this forum?