Self-Reduction of public transport in Auckland City

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
gregor samsa
Apr 26 2006 06:46
Self-Reduction of public transport in Auckland City

Ive been thinking of ideas for a campaingn around the cost of living. I think its important for anarchists to organize around issues outside the workplace but which are still aimed at broad layers of working people.

As the price of petrol soars in Auckland people are forced to take public transport. the problem is is that the service is crap and its expensive. there have been periodic price increases over the last year on trains. I think a good campaign would be for a large group of people to enter trains hand out leaflets to passengers and to refuse to pay the ticket people until a reduced price is negotiated.

The pamphlet could be about the environemtal impacts of oil and the exploitation behind the commodity. We could also talk about the impact of large corporations on our lives through their control of our transport and their increasing attacks on our standard of living through price increases.

Maybe if people could see that the price of essential services can be effectively challenged then they will join in and refuse to pay the forever increasing prices.

the problem with this is that there maybe a backlash against the people on the trains handing out leaflets and refusing to pay. it may end up that people are thrown off the trains, arrested and charged with stealing.

anyway, any comments about this idea would be appreciated. i think its good cos it ties in a whole lot of different issues such as oil, global warming and inflation as a way of attacking working class living standards

Mike Harman
Apr 26 2006 07:30

Have you seen planka.nu?

http://libcom.org/news/article.php?story=planka-freeriding-090206

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 26 2006 09:50

I finally found the better article on planka.nu! (i edited for Freedom ages ago) I'll stick it up soon. Anyway, loads of fare strike/sefl-reduction stuff from Chicago here, check it:

http://www.midwestunrest.net/fightorwalk/

bastarx
Apr 27 2006 02:46

The controversial San Francisco commie, Kevin Keating, has been involved in a few efforts around public transport. Find his 'Mission Yuppie Eradication Project' site on infoshop.org and try searching the various SF Bay Area indymedias for 'Train in Vain' about last year's effort. I'm too lazy to look for the links myself. Other SF commies really dislike Kevin and strongly disagree with his take so take it with a grain of salt.

In 95, as part of a wider public sector strike, the bus drivers where I now work refused to collect fares for 3 months or so although without attempting to engage the passengers in the struggle.

Pete

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 27 2006 11:20
Peter wrote:
In 95, as part of a wider public sector strike, the bus drivers where I now work refused to collect fares for 3 months or so although without attempting to engage the passengers in the struggle.

Pete

any links/articles about that peter?

bastarx
Apr 27 2006 12:35
John. wrote:
Peter wrote:

Pete

any links/articles about that peter?

Unlikely. Maybe some short pieces in old Trot papers. Nothing I could be terribly bothered looking up although if you want you could try www.greenleft.org.au which is a Trot paper. I think there online archive goes back that far. I think it was early in the year too.

I should probably ask some of my workmates but most of the old guys don't talk to us newbies much.

cheers

Pete

georgestapleton's picture
georgestapleton
Apr 27 2006 12:44
John. wrote:
I finally found the better article on planka.nu!

Better article. angry

That interview linked to is the best 400 word interview...ever. And the interviewer's cool. (He's got a different name to me don't you know.)