small victories

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rats's picture
Rats
Mar 31 2013 01:39
small victories

In league with the bsn thread the other wweek,i have to announce a small victory i just heard about in the week.

An anarchist comrade had made friends with a homeless guy called adan. He tried every possible avenue to getting adam a home. After no luck with any social services here in adelaide, they all seem to operate on a basis of luck, small pickets were organised at a housing sa office with the demand 'give adam a house!'. One day the picket moved to the office of the housing minister, where they established their demands straight to the minister's office.

Within months, rather than the 2 years adam was looking forward to waiting on a priority housing list, the department has given adam his own flat in a public housing block. This is in the context of ongoing public housing selloffs an replacement wifh a neoliberal model of 'affordable' housing schemes funded by the government to sell to workers who can afford a 250,000 loan. Not quite affordabley in the sense of having zero money or employment prospects.

JUst thought i'd share.

ites's picture
ites
Apr 1 2013 19:19

Nice nice. The housing minister might not care about the homeless but they care about being seen to care; being beset by angry protesters would have put paid to that.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Mar 31 2013 07:13

Great! Is there a formal organisation backing the picket (a la a Solidarity Network) or was it just organised on the fly?

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Mar 31 2013 08:31

This is the stuff! Living on the streets is so dehumanizing and takes so much of your energy that it can become almost impossible to attend to anything other than trying to deal with your immediate discomfort, so much so that accessing the little help that is available can become an impossible task. An intervention of this sort can raise the physical, mental and spiritual wellbeing of a victim to such a degree that it can change their life for good. Brilliant!

Rats's picture
Rats
Mar 31 2013 08:45

@chillisauce; it was organised on the fly. Funnily, whenever a picket would occur at the housing office, people walking out of the office would often join in, as with the unavailability of public houses, the only reason one would enter the office is to deal with being fucked over.

@webby, indeed! It's a massive win for that person, despite my calling it a small win.

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
Apr 1 2013 14:03

Nice work.