So i voted...

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
ChrisS
Nov 24 2007 10:14
So i voted...

So i voted today and to be honest I feel a little dirty. You know that feeling when you spend a night out on the turps and you meet a girl and she seems ok but when you wake up in the morning your like "WHAT HAVE I DONE?!" Thats how i feel after voting. Its dirty. Whats worse i spent the first part of my Saturday whoring myself out to my corporate employer (gotta love the "can you do overtime on Saturday?") and the second part of my Saturday voting. So it was like making out with Oprah and then having sex with the Queen ... ewwww... But the thing i don't understand is when you go to the booths they give you a pencil. A bloody pencil! Conspiracy theorists must blow a load when they see that. Anybody with an eraser could have removed my first preference vote for the "what women want party" and replaced it with something really retarded like liberal.

Bubbles's picture
Bubbles
Nov 24 2007 10:16

id only feel dirty if i thought to myself that it was a good use of my time.

thugarchist's picture
thugarchist
Nov 24 2007 12:00

If you didn't want to vote then why did you?

thugarchist's picture
thugarchist
Nov 24 2007 12:03
guydebordisdead wrote:
thugarchist wrote:
If you didn't want to vote then why did you?

He was drunk and horny, obviously.

Thats why I quit drinking. No dirty voting for me!

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Nov 24 2007 19:54

its nothing to beat yourself up over...

EdmontonWobbly's picture
EdmontonWobbly
Nov 25 2007 01:03

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there's a shampoo for that, hell once upon a time I actually worked on an election campaign.

anna x
Nov 25 2007 01:33

Well... I didn't vote, hooray for me... just rocked on up, got my name checked off (cos voting is compulsory and I can't afford a fine) took my voting ballots to the booth, left a message on said ballots, left a message on the booth itself, walked out, called the local supporters of the Liberal candidate and sitting member racist wankers and went home. All in all a satisfyng waste of 30 minutes. It was my friends first time not voting so it was lovely to see the satisfaction that they too got from not supporting this bollocks they call representative democracy over here. The thing that shits me most is that the Labor party has now won and there is a real belief that things will be better but the thing is that the Labor leader is politically almost identical to the fucktard that they just ousted... confused
all the best.
gregg.
oh yeah, I used a pen black bloc laugh out loud

gurley's picture
gurley
Nov 25 2007 02:17

I helped out on a proposition campaign this election. The proposition (Prop A) directs more money to MUNI to expand the system, hire more drivers/ maintenance staff and replace diesel buses with electric and hybrid ones. I don't know about elsewhere but in California we have propositions on the ballot, most of which I think, are generally worth fighting for (or against).

Yea yea I know....I'm a sellout smile

Bubbles's picture
Bubbles
Nov 25 2007 02:23
gurley wrote:

i disagree.

thugarchist's picture
thugarchist
Nov 25 2007 06:21
gurley wrote:
I helped out on a proposition campaign this election. The proposition (Prop A) directs more money to MUNI to expand the system, hire more drivers/ maintenance staff and replace diesel buses with electric and hybrid ones. I don't know about elsewhere but in California we have propositions on the ballot, most of which I think, are generally worth fighting for (or against).

I've never voted but I'd vote on a ballot initiative I think, well, if someone offered to drive me.

pgh2a
Nov 25 2007 07:24

I think the last vote I cast by ballot was in an IWW referendum, and before that, an NLRB election.

What is the percentage of spoiled ballots in Australia, or do they not release those figures?

gurley's picture
gurley
Nov 25 2007 07:56
thugarchist wrote:
gurley wrote:

I've never voted but I'd vote on a ballot initiative I think, well, if someone offered to drive me.

I got someone from SEIU to drive a disabled resident of a SRO Hotel to vote. SEIU was pretty serious about getting out the vote on that proposition...seeing as how they rep. over half of the workers at MUNI. The whole situation was pretty funny....but everyone was happy to accommodate her seeing as how she really wanted to vote smile

I don't know if you would qualify for a ride to the polls though.

jeremytrewindixon
Nov 28 2007 04:17

I would have voted in the Australian election this year, things are that dire, but not having voted for a quarter of a century I'm no longer on the roll and couldn't get motivated to jump through the bureaucratic hoops. My kids were pissed off, the polling booth was thier primary school and there was a sausage sizzle and so forth; and my eldest is sick of explaining that her father doesn't vote even though it is against the law to abstain in this country. (Morning officer. Don't believe everything you read on a bulletin board officer)

I think its OK for Anarchists to vote, just so long as they do it in a cynical and instrumental way, and preferably write something to amuse or shock the scrutineers on the ballot paper.

jeremytrewindixon
Dec 1 2007 08:08
revol68 wrote:
you do know spoiling your ballot isn't the same as voting...

Yeah but a ballot paper isn't spoiled just because extraneous comments are written on it. So it is quite possible to both validly vote and write "hang all politicians" on your ballot paper. An apparently effective campaign some years ago (against the Franklin Dam in Tasmania) urged people to write "No Dams" on their ballot paper, whatever else they did or didn't write.

I once scrutineered for a "Dont' Vote for Me" campaign by the Lib Workers here in Victoria; it was interesting.