Solidarity Actions with Greece?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
LeftResistance's picture
LeftResistance
May 5 2010 12:40
Solidarity Actions with Greece?

Is anyone planing anything of the sort? I've noticed on facebook groups throughout Europe are organising all sorts of actions - how about something here? It's pretty exciting stuff -general strikes, and workers trying to storm parliament was the last update I saw... Teachers and students marched on parliament with black flags a little while back, and farmers had black flags during their blockades. Good images and could be useful in getting some interest in anarchy of the class struggle sort back.

Rats's picture
Rats
May 5 2010 16:34

It would be a good idea. Probably good to even make a leaflet or poster to put up around your hood/university/work. If someone comes up with a good leaflet to upload that we could all use, that might be good/make things easier.(someone other than me, i'm rather busy)

Riot_Queer's picture
Riot_Queer
May 5 2010 17:40

Solidarity With the Workers and people of Greece!

Start Time: Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 2:00pm - 5:00pm

taxikipali
May 5 2010 17:50

Solidarity abroad at these difficult times is very much needed. Let them know we know that "the murder is of the state"!

Rats's picture
Rats
May 6 2010 02:03

@Taxikipali
Hey if you'd like to write a leaflet to explain what's going on(esp. if the greek media is going to be on strike!) then we can easily distribute that here.
If you write maybe, 1 page, then post it here, we can use it.
Perhaps i'll send this in a message to you incase you don't read it aswell.

shamass's picture
shamass
May 6 2010 02:22

@Gabs
A leaflet is a good idea, but I think we need to be writing these ourselves. Taxikipali is doing a terrific job, but I'm not sure if we need to add to his/her burden, writing wise. At the very least we could knock something together from their reports.

Here in Canberra we are putting together a pamphlet of TPTG articles on Greece. We are also working on a brief intro that could be converted into a leaflet. However this won't be ready for another week or two.

Rats's picture
Rats
May 6 2010 05:11

That's true, i didn't think about the TPTG articles, using those would probably be easier. We have a meeting tomorrow so maybe i'll put something together for us to distribute. I'll post the text here after our meeting and people can comment on it then edit it again. Hopefully this can all be done by sunday, ready for distro next wk.

Does everyone precarious here know the trick of going to your job network to copy resume's and, whilst actually copying resumes, be copying as many sheets of flyers at a time as you want? Totally libcom style.

Maybe if anyone wants to throw something together aswell we can post them here and compare them/edit together?

With Sober Senses's picture
With Sober Senses
May 6 2010 07:34

Hi All
A couple of us in Red Thread have been talking about writing some reflections on Greece. We have also been reading TPTG..... So I guess there could be some interest up here

rebel love
Dave

Rats's picture
Rats
May 9 2010 15:31

Our leaflet done:

Quote:
SOLIDARITY WITH THE WORKERS, STUDENTS AND PRECARIOUS OF GREECE.

The financial crisis of ’08 led to a mad dash for governments to bail out the international finance sector, passing the costs of the crisis onto the workers, students and unemployed of the world. Mass redundancy, wage cuts, cuts in hours and cuts in services and education have been the reality for workers everywhere. Naturally, many workers have resisted the enforced tightening of our collective belt, by occupying universities, high schools, primary schools, factories, and government buildings; boss napping, and wildcat strikes; highway blockades and riots.

“After the sovereign debt crisis of Dubai last October and the failure of the credit rating agencies in forecasting it, these agencies went frantic to downgrade Greek state bonds and "upgrade" Credit Default Swaps.”(TPTG 2010, on Libcom.org)

The crisis hit Greece hard, with debt spiralling out of control the EU & IMF have promised 40bn Euro to bail out the Greek banks, the catch - austerity measures; Wage freezes for the public sector, tax hike on assets, tax hike on consumables and fuel, cuts to services, cuts to public sector bonus pay, changes to laws regarding the firing of workers, and too many more.

The resistance of the workers and students to the measures in Greece has demonstrated to the world that the truth of the ‘tightening of the belt’ is in reality a police-mans boot to a workers throat.

In the USA joint Student and Worker strikes against education cuts have spread from LA to New York – ‘California Love; Occupy. Negate. Revolt’ is their catch-cry.

At home we’ve seen Miners in WA and Bus drivers in Sydney on Wildcat strike, postal workers fighting for decent wages and work, university staff fighting for pay & conditions; aswell as being faced by layoffs, a re-structuring of work towards more precarious jobs, the maintenance of Howards IR laws & NT intervention under Rudd, removal of unemployment benefits for under 21’s w/o year 12 qualifications, etc. Throughout Australia and the world, the pressure of the police-mans boot can be felt.
The news talks about growth again, but the crisis still haunts.

Only through the same united action carried out in the USA or Greece can workers, students and unemployed defend each others mutual interests, and further them together as a class.

For up to date information on the situation in Greece, see these sites, as the Greek media will be on strike in the weeks/months to come, and the media is BS anyway.
www.libcom.org
www.occupiedlondon.org
http://athens.indymedia.org/?lang=en

Ed: "Naturally, they have resisted the enforced tightening of our collective belt"
to "Naturally, many workers have(...)"

Caiman del Barrio
May 9 2010 17:04

There were 5 arrests following a molotov attack on the Greek Embassy in Buenos Aires, Argentina. All have now been released.

Rats's picture
Rats
May 10 2010 05:08

How did they get off the hook for that one!?!
Or did they catch the wrong people?

Tim B
May 10 2010 11:40

Hi all,

there's an article in the latest issue of Wai Quarterly (it's the very last piece), that might be of some interest. It's written based on experiences in Greece from August-December 2009, so not very up to date, but still useful.

http://www.blackkitepress.org/wai/autumn2010v2.pdf

Tim

Tim B
May 13 2010 05:41

Solidarity Gathering For Greece

Sunday 16/5/2010

2pm at The Hub, Newtown, Sydney

IT IS THE STATE AND THE CAPITALISTS WHO ARE THE MURDERERS, TERRORISTS, AND
CRIMINALS

SOLIDARITY IS OUR WEAPON
WAR AGAINST THE WAR OF THE BOSSES

akai
May 13 2010 09:57

Yesterday there was a demo in front of the Greek Embassy in Warsaw, which included a group of about 10 Greek people living in Poland. After the demo, when people had already gone to sit in the park, 7 people were arrested and are still in custody. It is likely they will be released some time today.

During the action, a banner was hung on the embassy and the flags of Greece and the EU were taken down and black flags put up instead. The people are being charged with stealing the flag. They are also being charged with taking part in an illegal action with the intent to commit a crime

riot_dude
May 13 2010 14:59

It appears great minds think alike
Sydney and Melbz Solidarity Gatherings at the same time!

Incubus's picture
Incubus
May 13 2010 17:44

From Ekathimerini
Centre Rightist Greek paper May 11:-

Belgian anarchists

Brussels GNTO office attacked

A Greek National Tourism Organization office in Brussels was attacked by vandals yesterday. An employee, who was not hurt, said that three masked men and one woman threw paint at the office and shouted slogans in support of Greek anarchists. They also left behind leaflets claiming their group was called the «Belgian Anarchists.» Culture and Tourism Minister Pavlos Geroulanos happened to be in Brussels for a meeting of his European Union counterparts and visited the office after the attack. He said the damage would be repaired. Discussions are also taking place about the possibility of guarding the office.

akai
May 13 2010 18:46

Six Greek activists and a Polish guy are still being held in Warsaw. Police are still "investigating" the incident, but they are threatening to charge people with stealing the flag and with taking part in an illegal demonstration with the intent to commit a crime. Stealing the flag can face up to one year in prison.

http://zspwawa.blogspot.com/2010/05/fuck-flag-freedom-for-greek-activists.html

Caiman del Barrio
May 13 2010 22:38
Gabs wrote:
How did they get off the hook for that one!?!
Or did they catch the wrong people?

Not sure why, only have an article posted on an e-list in Portuguese to go on.

Rats's picture
Rats
May 14 2010 05:27

There won't be a solidarity action in adelaide, but that leaflet is intended to become the new wallpaper for the city.
Please feel free to use/reproduce that text as your own in whatever city.

Riot_Queer's picture
Riot_Queer
May 16 2010 15:52
Tommy Ascaso wrote:
I don't think solidarity actions are likely to help much, they can be a good way of making people aware of the struggle but if we want to provide effective solidarity the best way that we can do it is by increasing the level of struggle where we are.

Increasing the level of struggle where we are (in my case Melbourne) is to start with at least a solidarity action? Need to start somewhere...

But at least I put out the call up on Facebook and a few other places online...

May not have been meetings for planning but I find it interesting how when you go out of your way to organise something so many say they can show up but not even half of them do...fucking pathetic.

Australia seems to be mostly apathetic when it comes to any form of activism so it does not suprise me at all...