Solidarity of Cavite Workers

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
syndicalist
Mar 13 2008 14:21
Solidarity of Cavite Workers

For your information. I thought comrades would be very interested in this. Sharing this information does not mean an endorsement of the aims of the WAC. This is being posted for information purposes, and information purposes only.
--syndicalist

From: International Labor Rights Forum (laborrights@ILRF.org)

"Another Labor Leader Murdered in the Philippines On Monday March 10, Gerry Cristobal was killed in an alleged "traffic altercation" by the Philippine police. Before this incidence, there had been 2 previous attempts on Gerry's life. Gerry was a leader with the Solidarity of Cavite Workers (SCW), an alliance of labor organizations and unions.

Gerry's murder is the latest in a string of murders and violence that labor rights advocates in Cavite have endured for the past few years."

Solidarity of Cavite Workers (SCW)
The SCW is an alliance of labor organisations and unions based in Rosario, Cavite. The SCW was then a programme of the Workers' Assistance Center Inc. (WAC) before it became an independent organisation.

http://scw-philippines.blogspot.com/

Workers' Assistance Center Inc. (WAC)
http://www.wacphilippines.com/

happychaos's picture
happychaos
Mar 23 2008 03:13

I was in Cavite the day after Gerry was shot. I met the workers and the family as a part of an exposure trip in the Philippines. They are militant like the KMU but are not affiliated. One of the union's board of directors said clearly that they were not interested in being control by an external political body but would have an alliance with the KMU and any other militant organisation for campaigns etc. I talked to her about syndicalism as I said that they seemed to be quite syndicalist. she was quite interested but we didnt have enough time to discuss it. It is a very big workplace. The police claim Gerry was shot in a "traffic incident". He was shot at before and he shot back and injured one person. When the human rights groups went to investigate in hospital it turned out to be a cop who then claimed he was firing back at Gerry in self defence. I have photos of his shot up car and other pictures which I will be putting online soon.

syndicalist
Mar 23 2008 14:23

I'd be interested to hear more about your Philippine experiances/observations.I'm familiar with the the labor scene there.